Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22a rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22a rebuild

hi guys,
    i was just looking for a bit of advice i will be doing a h22a swap in the next few months and was wondering how hard do you think it would be to work on the internals of the motor myself? i have what i think are basic mechanical skills and will have purchased all manuals for the car of what year the motor is, i will be looking at doing things such as forged pistons/rods, cams, intake, throttle body, injectors, valvetrain etc. what do you think?

I would try on a little D series or something first. Not to say you can't but if something wasn't done right at least it isn't as much money.
    -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

The actual teardown and assembly is simple... just follow the directions in a manual. You'll need a machine shop to hone your cylinders, and if you rebuild the head, you'll need some work done to that as well. Everything else, you can do yourself. Just get the proper tools, measure everything that needs to be measured, torque everything to spec in the right order, and don't use cheap, crappy parts... you'll be fine.

Comment

You can't run forged pistons in an H22 without sleeving it, unless you get the Mahle Gold Series pistons.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
          You can't run forged pistons in an H22 without sleeving it, unless you get the Mahle Gold Series pistons.
          Which way do you think is the best way to go, sleeving or going with the Mahle Gold Series pistons?

My 1991 Accord DX

Comment

x2

Originally posted by deevergote
            The actual teardown and assembly is simple... just follow the directions in a manual. You'll need a machine shop to hone your cylinders, and if you rebuild the head, you'll need some work done to that as well. Everything else, you can do yourself. Just get the proper tools, measure everything that needs to be measured, torque everything to spec in the right order, and don't use cheap, crappy parts... you'll be fine.

Originally posted by toycar
            Braking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.

Comment

Originally posted by _-91accord-_
              Which way do you think is the best way to go, sleeving or going with the Mahle Gold Series pistons?
              cast type-s pistons.

check your clearances and do lots of reading on basic engine building. ive worked in a machine shop for almost a year and ive never built a honda yet. only shortblocked small block chevy's.

take your time and again, measure, clean and measure again.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

^^

I agree. If you plan to go NA the best bang for buck piston is the JDM Type S Piston.
                Jei Chang
                BlackTrax Performance

Comment

the tools should be listed in the manuals if you have time take the learning curve

Comment

yeah, I heard that you must know alot of measuring on building motors and stuff. So every Pros must've get their knowledge str8 before they build.

Originally posted by wed3k
                    cast type-s pistons.

check your clearances and do lots of reading on basic engine building. ive worked in a machine shop for almost a year and ive never built a honda yet. only shortblocked small block chevy's.

take your time and again, measure, clean and measure again.

Originally posted by toycar
                    Braking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.

Comment

thanks for the help guys

Comment

Skunk2 is your friend.
                        Raceline USA

Comment

Originally posted by blacktrax
                          ^^

I agree. If you plan to go NA the best bang for buck piston is the JDM Type S Piston.
                          You have to make sure to get the proper size, though. You may need an oversized piston after honing the cylinders.

As wed3k said... measure, measure, measure. When you're assembling an engine, things need to have the right clearances and torque specs, or you're looking at a very short engine life!

Step #1... www.helminc.com
                          Buy yourself a manual. Those aren't cheap, but they're the very best you can get. You'll never need another reference as far as stock stuff goes. Read through the process of building the engine, and see if it's something you feel you can handle.

As said above, I would practice on a cheaper engine first. You CAN build the H22A for your first engine, but if you do something wrong and totally destroy it, that's a lot of money to waste! Maybe swap in a tired H22A, and practice on your F22A (or whatever you have in there). Once the stock engine has been successfully rebuilt, drop it back in, and get to work on the H22A. When you're done, you can sell the stock engine for a good amount, since it'll be freshly built.

I'm doing it backwards... I bought a built A20A for my 3rd gen, and I'm going to mess with the worn out stock one after the swap I'm boosting the new one, so I won't be surprised if I blow it up!

I, too, have an H22A in the works at the moment. I'm still gathering parts, though... and trying to figure out what direction I want to go in!

Comment

Working...
                          X