Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

engine wont crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine wont crank

So as im leaving work yesterday, i hop in my car and try to start it, but get nothing. At the first turn of the key, radio comes on and everything is fine and when I make the 2nd turn, the radio turns cuts off but turns on again. When i attempt to start it up, I get this clicking noise as I hold the key but no crank. So I call my dad, we diagnosed it to be the starter so we buy one and return install it. Out of curiosity before putting the new starter in, we decide to swap in his battery(he has a 92 ex) and on the first try it comes on. We swap batterys again and proceed to go home. While on the way to my house, the radio would occasionally cut off and come back on. At one point the car even turned off(still moving mind you) but it turned back on after 2 secs. When I got home I turned it off and tried to start it back up but i got nothing. Now when ever I tried to turn it on, the gauge cluster lights would come off and slowly come back on. As of that point I was convinced it was the battery so i buy a new on put it on and again, I get nothing. So what's the problem. Sorry about the essay but I didn't want to leave any details out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i'd check your battery cables and terminals first thing cause it sounds like you aren't getting a good connection through the system.

Comment

It could also be your altenator not functioning properly. When it works right the battery is used to start the engine up and not much more, after that the altenator takes over. But if the altenator is not working right the battery not only starts the car up, but keeps it running too. This causes the battery to get drained, and some of the sympotoms are the electronics (lights, radio, and stuff) fading, and eventually it won't have enough juice to crank the engine over. Replacing the battery will temporarily fix the symptoms, but they will return because you're just draining the new battery. Call up your local auto parts store and ask if they can test your altenator, most places will do it for free, some may have a small fee.
      Originally posted by 92dm
      I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
      VOUCHES
      Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

he's right on that. the main reason i said to check the wires and terminals first is that if the alternator is working but the ground side of the battery is shot, it's not gonna charge it. you can get auto stores to check that for you too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys and yes it was the ground cable. At one point of troubleshooting the problem I realized that although I tightened the terminal part of the cable completely, I could still jiggle it around a little. So I wrapped a piece of sheet metal around the terminal, salpped on the cable and voila, she turned on.

Comment

Nice!

I wouldn't leave that sheet metal on there. It's NOT a very good conductor.. lol

Glad to see you fixed it, though!

Comment

Working...
            X