Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

h22a swap illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by accord=inspire?
    what is a state ref ...where do i got to see him? is he in all gas stations?
    He usually at colleges, they are pretty cool guys. Whats needed to pass is a USDM ecu, intake and exhaust manifold, they usually don't check the last to. Call this number 1-800-852-5210 and ask for a handout called "engine change guidelines" it gives you a basic outline on what you need. I have an H23 in my car, it almost passed but failed due to high NO numbers.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

.....what place did you go 2....maybe that dude HATES hondas or workin on them
      MY YOUTUBE Channel Plz Sub for the Support thanks

^^^ Click for the Link ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by samuri88
        .....what place did you go 2....maybe that dude HATES hondas or workin on them
        Chaffey college

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

I've read that it's illegal to swap a lower OBD motor into a higher obd car... Like dropping obd1 d series into RSX (why you would do that I dunno)... Anyway.. this is what I read... I dunno... thats just my .02
          Allison Stokke... Google her... Yeah

92 Accord Ex Sedan - Parting Out

H22 GT4088 CRX build coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            You are somewhat wrong. Swapping a jdm motor in is illegal why?
            1. it wont pass smog unless some shit is done.
            2. It is not a motor produced in the US.

USDM motor swaps are ok JDM however is a different story.
            Totally false on this one. The California Referee will pass any JDM OBD1 H22 swap in our CB7's if it passes emissions and the visual and functional tests.

My JDM H22 recently passed emissions cleaner than my F22 did 2 years ago without any "shit" done to it.

The USDM ecu is required to pass the visual, but actually makes no difference in emissions. I only know this because of experience on 2 failed tests, 1st one with the JDM ecu, and 2nd one with the USDM ecu. Results were exactly the same both times.

The reason I was failing was due to the EGR system, which can happen on a USDM or JDM motor.....makes no difference.

My swap thread
            Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

It shouldn't be Illegal. Talk to ALL the state bureau on whats illegal and what is not. Also at the Ref if you fail the emissions portion of it, they have a program now that fixes your car for a copay. JDM engines are legal now before hell na. Yet it still takes some shit to get them right.
              **Any way, looks like you need a usdm ecu. I think a good business would be sell p28's with dumps from what ever ecu and have the usdm barcode stickered on.*

Comment

if it turns out you have to swap for a motor of that make... get a f20b

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
                Originally posted by deevergote.
                But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

search honda-tech. Alot more info about that on ht

Comment

Oh well I have heard illegal and legal. But I know for a fact that the motor has to be equal year if not newer though thats a def rule. I have also heard about the USDM ECU used in cali smog. I dont think they allow the JDM one or the JDM runs rich something like that. I have heard of people passing with the USDM ECU but that was only a few people. Some people still had issues with the REF. Could have been there cars were running like crap never know. But usually with higher compression motors the nox emissions kick its ass. thats what kicked my cars ass when I brang it in for emissions. Guess I need to leave the EGR open next time I go to the smogger. Oh well guess I am wrong then.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Absolutely correct.

California is very funky with the issue of swapping engines. The primary concern is that the engine must meet or exceed emissions standards for the original engine in that vehicle for California. It also must meet the visual inspection for OEM appearance, which can vary depending on who is doing the inspection (more on that lower).

A referee will be needed pass the car for registration when the emissions test rolls around for registration. I have known people to swap engines shortly after the car just passed testing and do the swap. This will allow you time to get the car compliant for testing.

I also have to give you a bit of a warning also. Some referee's can be major jerks with just some unreasonable requirements that are not founded in any statute or regulation. Some are anti-performance zealots that if they think they see one piece of a non-oem part they will fail you whether it passes the tail pipe or not and it is all OEM parts. I personally have had experience with one of those in the SF/Bay area. Either way do some research for the area you live in and find the local referee stations and ask questions.

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92
                      Totally false on this one. The California Referee will pass any JDM OBD1 H22 swap in our CB7's if it passes emissions and the visual and functional tests.

My JDM H22 recently passed emissions cleaner than my F22 did 2 years ago without any "shit" done to it.

The USDM ecu is required to pass the visual, but actually makes no difference in emissions. I only know this because of experience on 2 failed tests, 1st one with the JDM ecu, and 2nd one with the USDM ecu. Results were exactly the same both times.

The reason I was failing was due to the EGR system, which can happen on a USDM or JDM motor.....makes no difference.
                      Verde's clean 92 CB7

Comment

man im glad i live in ohio, dont have to deal with any of this
                        Cars:
                        91 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                        98 Accord LX Sedan
                        95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (E3 16G, PTE 780cc, Godspeed FMIC)

Comment

Sounds like that mech/shop is dumb. Ive had a guy tell me that too(Im in Missouir). Well, he didnt tell me it was illegal, but he told me that there was no way a prelude motor would go into an accord. He said it would take massive modification and it would take him a good, solid week, at least. And i had to do almost anything to keep from ROTFL.

This guys, of course, was an older guy. He seemed "country" and "backwoods" type, so i can see why he would think such things.

Another reason i dont wanna live in CA

Arizona FTW

I could see the JDM motors being illegal, or difficult to pass, but i would think as long as it passes compression/smog tests, who cares? As long as it wont leak anything bad, and wont blow smoke or anything like that, i dont even see why they have "emo" laws. Well, i do, but still...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                          Originally posted by Jarrett
                          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I forgot I had a p28 maybe I should just punch a hole in the EGR valve when I got inspection next time. That always works. Oh well as long as it passes is true. Good thing they arent strict on visual inspection here.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

But I am sure it will be coming your way with the Global Warming/Climate Change crowd has their way... :-(

Originally posted by bmxfelon420
                              man im glad i live in ohio, dont have to deal with any of this
                              Verde's clean 92 CB7

Comment

It has actually gotten colder over the years as I recall someone pointing out. I forgot where the article is but yea I dunno much about global warming nor do I care about it. As long as the air is somewhat clean its good lol. Everytime I go back to Taiwan I lose 10 years of my life because of the smog in the city BALLER.

The New-ish Ride
                                My old Ride
                                Hear my Vtak!!!
                                MK3 Member #3
                                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                                X