Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Computers and Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computers and Cars

So I have this idea, where instead of a traditional car stereo and A/C and heating controls, there's a tablet PC that's wired to my ECU and stuff and I can control everything in my car with it.
    Anybody have any clue how I might accomplish any of this?
    I'm a software programmer, if I found a way to connect to my ECU I can probably make the program for it, but I have no idea about how to get to the ECU..

maybe you should talk to some people in the ecu tunning section?? i know they hook up laptops to ecus and thats basicly what your wantting to do right?

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
    Originally posted by deevergote.
    But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

I think it is not gonna work. CB7 is too old for that... cars with electronics can be pluged to laptop.
      Excuse my language.

Comment

The CB came with a digital climate control in other countries... You may be able to use some of the wiring from that to make it work with a computer. The stereo and stuff would be easy to do. You could even learn how to tune your ECU and have tuning control integrated into this system as well.

I'm absolutely dying to make an in-car computer system. I won't be replacing my climate control with it (though that's a pretty cool idea), but I do plan on making it a functional computer in all other aspects (such as tuning, music, navigation, video... word processing... )

If you're a software programmer, you definitely have a step in the right direction. You'll need to understand wiring, and you'll need to figure out how to make your computer's signals turn into your car's actions. It won't be an easy task, but it's definitely doable. Give it a shot! Take lots of notes and pictures along the way and write up a DIY so other people can follow suit (like me! )

Comment

Originally posted by accord2nr81
          maybe you should talk to some people in the ecu tunning section?? i know they hook up laptops to ecus and thats basicly what your wantting to do right?
          The people that hook ECUs up to laptops do it very easily with premade parts. I have my ECU hooked up to my laptop, and I've got the technical know-how of a 2nd grader! The people that MAKE those parts are the ones that could do such things... The guys at Moates or 14point7.com may have the smarts to do such a thing. Not sure if they'd be willing (or able, time wise) to give you some advice.

Doing a full computer control isn't impossible... at all. It's very complicated, unless you have an intimate knowledge of such things, but it's not something an intelligent person couldn't figure out if they tapped the right resources. I've been around this forum since the beginning, and the amount of innovation is decreasing significantly... it's always refreshing to hear new ideas, especially ones that could actually work and be practical!

Comment

there are in-dash computers avaible for cars. i think there in the 1000-2000 dollar range. it controls pretty much everything. you get navi, sterio, climate control, all the lights, hooks up to the ecu, monitor every sensor, monitor sound system, sound system hook up. and theres a bunch more.
            miss my turbo cb7
            moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

They do climate control too? Sweet! I haven't seen those.

There is a "carputer" thing on the market, not sure if that's the one you're talking about or not.

Anything will probably take some custom work to get going in our old cars, though. The good thing is that our systems are considerably simpler than today's more advanced computer controlled cars.

Comment

Wow, that sound pretty cool. My friend is a programmer and his brother builds computers and they did a custom computer entertainment system in their MDX. They hooked up a computer to a 7inch touchscreen they put in the dash. It had nav, internet, climate, dvd, the works......people kept trying to steal it so.....they took it out. Damn crackheads in the hood. lol
                GangGreenGang 330kmiles Strong

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote

There is a "carputer" thing on the market, not sure if that's the one you're talking about or not.

Anything will probably take some custom work to get going in our old cars, though. The good thing is that our systems are considerably simpler than today's more advanced computer controlled cars.

here it is... http://www.gnetcanada.com/
                  miss my turbo cb7
                  moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote

Yea it costs a bit too but it works. My friend has one on his car. I'll see if I can find a picture of it. Its nice having access to your mp3 files on the go. Endless music.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I'm planning on building my own car computer. I believe cpmike is in the process as well (he's going to do a better job than me... )

The tablet computer is a good idea, as it's contained. I would want to use standard desktop or laptop parts, but I can't find a convenient way to mount anything... Under the passenger seat would be good, but the heat duct is there. No bueno. I haven't really put any effort into it yet, though... since I don't have a screen.

Comment

aren't there Tein suspension that can be lowered via computer also?

Comment

Its jsut a motor linked to a central unit. All it does is control dampening. It doesnt lower you have to get down and dirty for that.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

And here is my contribution...

http://www.macvroom.com/
                            Verde's clean 92 CB7

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys!
                              I've checked out all the links posted, Moates.net is pretty sweet they have alot of cool stuff there. I guess my first step is to get a new ECU, but I haven't got the slightest clue what kind to get..

After thinking about it some more it'd be kinda stupid to get a tablet PC, it's gonna have to be a custom build, but I'm pretty stoked it's gonna be fun. Still gotta do the motor swap and auto to manual conversion first...

Stock digital climate control in the CB?? Where?? What country?

Comment

Working...
                              X