Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Usdm Prelude H Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jyoungblood87
    the JDM H22 has a better Camshaft profile and ECU than the USDM H22...

info provided by www.crower.com

Part# Description Advertised Duration Duration @ .050" Gross Lift w/1.55
    Stock Specs from H22 US Spec Int- 288 mid
    Exh-308 mid Int- 231 mid
    Exh-234 mid Int- 448 mid
    Exh-415 mid

Stock Specs from H22 JDM Spec Type S Int- 309 mid
    Exh-315 mid Int- 230 mid
    Exh-230 mid Int- 469 mid
    Exh-438 mid

Take a second look at your comparison. USDM vs JDM TYPE S an engine that is known to make more power than either the JDM or USDM H22.

Not all JDM H22's are Type-S versions, therefore it is misleading to represent this information to someone who might not know better.

The primary difference between the JDM H22 and the USDM H22 are the .6 bump in compression ratio, and tuning.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      Lower mileage could also mean that it's been sitting, unstarted, for the past 10 years.

I'd go with the JDM version myself (and I did)... however, I don't legally pass emissions here in NJ.

The USDM motor makes 10hp less, at least the OBD1 version. Not really a big deal. You'd never notice the difference. USDM motors are often beat, though... and finding a low-mileage OBD1 H22A would be a pain in the butt.

The USDM version makes about 6HP less. 190HP vs 200PS since 1ps=.98 HP then 200 PS = 196 HP.

Also, for all of the issues I have seen with JDM H22's and ECU's running inconsistently on 91 octane pump gas, I would rather give up the .6 bump in compression and 6 HP, and have an engine that runs perfectly all the time.

And actually, if you look around, USDM H22's tend to be cheaper because the market ASSUMES they are in worse shape and thus are not worth as much. Mine was at least as clean and in good health as any JDM version I have seen.

To temper the "lower mileage" thing with reality, Japanese are also more likely to not take care of the engine, because they know that it will be replaced in short order and thus it is not worth worrying about. You can get good clean used JDM engines, but on the other hand, you are also liable to get raunchy beat up versions at the same time. In fact, the japanese are more likely to NEVER change the oil, because they just don't care. Check out cp[mike]'s thread on the sludge H22. It is used, you don't know until you get into it. If you are shopping for USDM engines, you can usually either inspect them in person (if they are local), or assume that on average they were taken care of. Most of them weren't owned by stupid kids until just the last few years. They were too expensive. In the end it is a crapshoot with either.

Also, just to mention, the H22A4 had the 10.6:1 compression of the JDM H22, and all OBD-II USDM engines can be converted fairly easily to OBD-I, so for not a lot of money, you could very well have a "JDM" OBD-I H22 with fewer miles on it. It was rated at 195-200HP depending on the year. That would be 200-204PS.

The only real advantage of the JDM market IMO is the fact they had LSD trannies, which on anywhere near a stock engine, would make way more difference than 5 HP.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I would get the JDM engine, matching transmission, and matching ECU, matching intake box, matching seats, matching...aaa sorry I gotz too talkin.
        DEVOTE

Comment

i got a h22a4 out of a 99 prelude with low miles had a shop work the harness to make it obdI. their alot cheaper now than they were a few yrs back when i got mine.
          Freedom Is Not Free
          U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

Jdm 95 motor with lsd tranny. Clean and never had a problem with it. Be careful of motors that are just sitting there outside in the rain and getting rusted as shit.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
              Do they still have that Skyline that they can't sell, Sam?
              Its still there, but a guy bought it the type r and the evo III. I love Gtr's as much as I love accords, but I was sad when I found out I was 2 big 4 the R32.
              Arcadia Green Crew #48
              Arcadia Green- "It's not just a color, It's a lifestyle"
              My Transformer on myspace
              Sold to: JakFrostwhite, Icedplaya123
              Vouch for: Straight_Success, Bcozzi71,IcedPlaya123,RevHard215,F20ACB7,CB7 91/DX
              RPM we the best!!!
              Reading/Philly Mob CB7Tuner #1
              93 Lx Arcadia Green a.k.a Assoluto: R.I.P
              92 Ex Arcadia Green a.k.a Xevious: R.I.P
              93 Ex Arcadia Green a.k.a Luxo:In service now !!!
              Are 3 Arcadia Green coupes 2 many !!!

Comment

Working...
              X