Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

car wont start after i changed the camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's the plug wire order, that's easy... just make sure they're all in as they should be!

The distributor is keyed, so it only goes in one way. That shouldn't be off... unless it was forced on... then it'll be 2 off.

When you put the camshaft in, did you make sure that both the timing mark on the cam gear and the timing mark on the crank pulley were showing #1 at TDC? That's the biggest thing. You can't just slap a camshaft on without doing that. The valves have to open and close at the right time! It can't be too far off, or you'd probably have hit some valves with the pistons when cranking... If you didn't make sure that timing was correct, then you're lucky that you didn't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
      I say his spark timing order is off.
      Yea as he said. That would be the easiest thing to check before going more in depth for timing.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

any mechanic in l.a. that can check my cb cause mine dont answer

Comment

I've asked my question twice, with no answer. This is something you can check yourself

Are the timing marks on the cam gear and crank pulley where they should be? When the crank pulley shows that #1 is at TDC, does the mark on the cam gear say the same? If not, thank the Honda gods for not destroying your motor, and make it so.

Comment

I've started my car before with the wires in the wrong cylinders. Ran like absolute chit. Check them just to be sure. Sounds to me like the timing is off. Try loosening the dizzy and first rotate it all the way towards the firewall, then try to fire. if that fails rotate all the way towards the radiator. Try to fire.If it acts like it wants to start in either of those positions(smoke puffs out the exhaust), then thats your problem. You should pull the cap off of the dizzy, pull the dizzy off the head and turn the rotor 180 degrees from its current position, then reinstall the dizzy,wires and see if it starts.
            Last edited by Fake Thug; 03-21-2008, 09:47 AM.

Comment

The car will start with the dizzy clocked to the extreme in either direction.

It's likely the actual mechanical timing that is the problem. That, or his igniter, coil, or main relay crapped out on him, and that it happened when he did the camshaft is just a coincidence. (just because the camshaft was changed doesn't necessarily mean that action is the cause of the no-start)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                The car will start with the dizzy clocked to the extreme in either direction.

It's likely the actual mechanical timing that is the problem. That, or his igniter, coil, or main relay crapped out on him, and that it happened when he did the camshaft is just a coincidence. (just because the camshaft was changed doesn't necessarily mean that action is the cause of the no-start)

I get that, but if the dizzy is not installed back the same way it came out the car will not start(assuming he pulled it). If he pulled it out with the rotor pointing at number 1 cylinder then reinstalled it with the rotor pointing at number 3 cylinder, it will not fire. If he turns the dizzy in either direction pegged, that might give him an idea of how far off he is.

Comment

As I said previously, the dizzy is keyed. He'd have to force it on to make it 2 cylinders off (which, again, isn't necessarily impossible...)

Comment

Originally posted by oozingmachismo2
                    I get that, but if the dizzy is not installed back the same way it came out the car will not start(assuming he pulled it). If he pulled it out with the rotor pointing at number 1 cylinder then reinstalled it with the rotor pointing at number 3 cylinder, it will not fire. If he turns the dizzy in either direction pegged, that might give him an idea of how far off he is.
                    yes it will. You'd just have to wire in the spark plugs 180* off.

Plus, the ONLY way to install it 180* off, besides by hammering it in there, is to take the metal pin out from the rotor and then flipping it 180*. I've done this on accident a few times when taking distributor apart.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                      As I said previously, the dizzy is keyed. He'd have to force it on to make it 2 cylinders off (which, again, isn't necessarily impossible...)

You are right. It is keyed. More of Honda's idiot proofing. I guess...LOL...

Comment

hmm,

i've been having somewhat of the same problem.
                        lately its been taking me 4-5 tries, sometimes even more to get my car to start.
                        My 1992 honda accord LX 5 spd.

"Behold! What was once thought to have been
                        buried beneath the sands of time,
                        the ill-fated Haynes Repair Manual has been resurrected
                        from the depths of a watery grave." - LX_Accordian

Comment

Working...
                        X