Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

short ram or cold air???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could always find other ways to have a CAI...

You could shorten the piping so it doesnt hang so low...
    You could custom-make piping to run to a different area...
    You could buy/custom-make a box/cover to prevent/block water
    You could always make a custom, functional hood scoop....

SRI's are good for sound and theres no worries of hydrlocking, but they do suck up warmer air.

You could also utilize some of the stock "side piping" that brought air to the OEM box...
    Thats what i did. Put on the SRI, but left the smaller, bent tubes in place to "funnel/channel" any air still coming in those tubes...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung
      wait.. make sure to get a Carb legal one otherwise the state ref will fail you.
      You could just put the stock box back on come inspection time.

Might get a fine if a cop finds out... but a lot of things are like that.
      1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillPhatCat
        You could just put the stock box back on come inspection time.

Might get a fine if a cop finds out... but a lot of things are like that.
        sucks cali is like that. here in Washington we do what we want

Comment

yeah true... i'm thinking of making a heat shield out of some foam or something then encasing it in sheet metal.

Comment

Cai Ftw!
            Raceline USA

Comment

Originally posted by X_cessive
              sucks cali is like that. here in Washington we do what we want
              Yeah thats one of the many reasons Cali sucks.

Comment

You could get those 2-pieces on ebay if you are having a change of heart between a short and cold-air. Since those 2-piece gives you the liberty to swith to a short ram or cold-air anytime you wish. Scared of water? Just buy the bypass valve from AEM , that goes between the pipings of the cold-air. You don't need that for the short ram. Depending on your state cops may or may not be anal about the CARB legality of the intake. Here in Cali we need that but we can run non CARB'd intakes , just don't get pulled over or get to a ref.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Yeah, Upstate NY isn't so bad either... as long as it looks like a cat and you've got a PCV valve (and no CEL for '96 and newer) it's all good.

Best thing is having a car more than 25 years old though... no emissions test at all, just safety.
                  1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

they don't even bother anymore in Ohio, you just walk into the DMV and tell them you want to renew your sticker and bam.

Comment

just because you have a bypass valve doesnt mean you cant hydrolock you motor. if your intake is 1/4 submerged under water, it will still suck in water.
                      90 EX DUMPED!!!

Comment

CAI, it has been proven that you LOSE power over the stock intake with an SRI. Just be sure to get a bypass valve for the CAI.

/thread.
                        Originally posted by sweet91accord
                        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                          CAI, it has been proven that you LOSE power over the stock intake with an SRI. Just be sure to get a bypass valve for the CAI.

/thread.

can i see that proof that i lose power with a SRI compared to the stock intake system? because i'll go throw it right back on after i read it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymike
                            hey guys. which air intake is better. im looking to get a cheap ebay one, but i dont know if i should buy the short ram or cold air. im sort of scared of getting a cold air and sucking up water. thanks mike
                            I got my CAI off of ebay for 60$ shipped and it came with a by pass valve. I love my CAI, i used to have a short ram but it didnt work out for my application.
                            My cb7

h22a
                            5-spd lsd
                            Lord, grant me the serenity
                            to accept the things I cannot change,
                            the courage to change the things I can,
                            and the wisdom to hide the bodies
                            of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

carb legal cai ftw ;p

Originally posted by RacingEmotions
                              just because you have a bypass valve doesnt mean you cant hydrolock you motor. if your intake is 1/4 submerged under water, it will still suck in water.
                              It'll suck a little water but not enough to hydrolock.
                              lol do you know how a bypass valve works?

once the end of the cai gets capped off with water the CAI begins drawing in air from the bypass valve instead of the tip. Air takes the shortest route possible in suction. Rather than the engine trying to suck air from the tip, it'll move to the next shortest route the bypass.

Ever have a broken straw where theres a slit in the middle or upper half, and try to suck up soda but end up getting very little or none at all. The slit is like a bypass valve.
                              Last edited by ikayto; 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I still say get a CAI and just shorten the piping...

Watch out for puddles anyway. And i dont think running through one for a few seconds at high speeds will kill anything.

You could always get a faux "Front-Mount" Intake....

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                                Originally posted by Jarrett
                                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                                X