Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake pedal going down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pedal going down

Well, I did my rear drum and bled my brakes. now When I brake, the initial paddle response is tight and good. when the car fully stops, the paddle starts to drop on me, if I pump a bit it comes back up, but starts to drop again.

I bled the brake wrong probably, I just open the valve, let my friend pump like 10 times, then close it.

so should I bled my fluid again the way people posted, open, slowly pump and close and repeat again?

Vouch for: Jarhead293, 2.2litrebeater, Darkshadow707, slammed4thgen, Pacman91ex.

Originally posted by BootlegCB7
    Well, I did my rear drum and bled my brakes. now When I brake, the initial paddle response is tight and good. when the car fully stops, the paddle starts to drop on me, if I pump a bit it comes back up, but starts to drop again.

I bled the brake wrong probably, I just open the valve, let my friend pump like 10 times, then close it.

so should I bled my fluid again the way people posted, open, slowly pump and close and repeat again?

not sure if this is going to fix the problem, but its worth a shot, i've seen people open up the brake fluid reservoir and then pump your brakes while the car is on, supposedly you can get the bubbles in the brake lines to leave from there, then just put the cap back on when the pedal feels stiff again. i've done this before and it worked, try it out.
    Newcummer

Comment

there is a chance that your master cylinder is going bad, but since you just did a brake job, it's probably air in the line.

when you bleed them, do it like this: pump until the pedal gets firm, hold the pedal down and don't let it up, open, then close. pump it up again, hold it down to the floor, open and then close. repeat until you see new fluid coming out or until you are sure no more air is in the line. bleed all lines that were interrupted.

also, watch the fluid level of the brake reservoir while you are bleeding and make sure the fluid doesn't get to low. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

The master cylinder is leaking. If you can't see any signs of leakage or the fluid level isn't going down then it's leaking internally. When this happens fluid (and pressure) leaks past one of the piston seals and then back into the reseviour, so you have a firm initial pedal, then the pedal sinks as you lose fluid from the cylinder back into the reseviour. You can pump it back up, but you start losing fluid from the cylinder again and the pedal sinks again.

I'll say it again for clarity, when this happens the fluid level doesn't go down as with an external leak, but it's just as much of a problem. This problem can be intermittent, or it can be constant, but it will only get worse.

It may seem no more than an irritation, but it's potentially dangerous as one of the cylinders (the MC in effect contains two cylinders, one in front of the other) isn't holding pressure and what will happen is that one of the diagonal braking circuits will operate at a lower pressure than the other, and you lose braking performance (you may also lose control in hard braking in slippery conditions because the braking force won't be distributed correctly). Not only that, but the problem could become suddenly worse at any time. You need a new MC.
        Last edited by johnl; 03-13-2008, 03:21 AM.
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

johnl's response is what I feared, I have had sponge paddle before, never like this one cuz initial feedback is very strong. but I found some ebay mc by adler, seller claiming oem . price sounds good for a new mc, how about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97...spagenameZWDVW

Vouch for: Jarhead293, 2.2litrebeater, Darkshadow707, slammed4thgen, Pacman91ex.

Comment

i didnt read johnl's response, but it sounds like you bled it wrong. Your not supposed to pump while the valve is open, but until i read that part of your post, my intial thought was Master cylinder.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
              there is a chance that your master cylinder is going bad, but since you just did a brake job, it's probably air in the line.

when you bleed them, do it like this: pump until the pedal gets firm, hold the pedal down and don't let it up, open, then close. pump it up again, hold it down to the floor, open and then close. repeat until you see new fluid coming out or until you are sure no more air is in the line. bleed all lines that were interrupted.

also, watch the fluid level of the brake reservoir while you are bleeding and make sure the fluid doesn't get to low. later.
              OK this is very close to correct, I'm sure TypeG knows what he want's to say but maybe just didn't quite type it out exactly how he wanted.

1. Fill the reservoir.
              2. The brakes must be bled starting from the brake cylinder furthest from the master cylinder. This means the right rear is bled first. The left rear is second. The right front is third. The left front is last.
              3. Follow TypeG instructions.
              4. Just to be clear, the peddle must be held down until the bled valve is closed so air dose not get sucked back into the system!
              Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

Just to be sure re bleed the system again correctly to see if the problem is still there before you start buying parts!!!!
                Last edited by Old School; 03-13-2008, 04:10 AM.
                Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

That happened to me when my master cylinder was failing.

Frost White 1991 LX

Comment

This was happening to me back when I got my car inspected... the shop said they couldn't find a problem with the brakes. Ever since I took it in the pedal has been just fine... All I can figure is that it must have fixed itself when they bled the brakes and they just didn't notice that there was air in the line.
                    1991 Accord LX, 2Dr, 5 Spd, P12 ECU, Ebay Short Ram, Megan 4-2-1, Full 2.25" Ebay Exhaust + 60 Series Flowmaster.

1987 Camaro IROC-Z/28, 350 Crate, 700R4, 2.73 Posi, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit Headers, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Hooker Cat-back, Pioneer DEH-7800 HU, 600W Pioneer Amp, 350W 10" Pioneer Sub + 6 Pioneer Speakers.

Comment

If your master cylinder leaks out into your brake booster and can eat out the seal in the booster. If this happens even if you replace the master, youll still have problems from the booster leaking vacumn. Had it happen to me twice. Also make sure your mechanic bench bleeds the master cylinder prior to intstalling it, this makes bleeding alot easier.

Comment

pump a few times, hold and open and close valve, then release pedal

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG

X2: my brake master cylinder was bad not TOO sure of exactly what it was but i know that after i changed it, it never went bad again. every once in a while at a stop sign or light.when i
                          slowly applied the break it would steady its way on to the floor. but i didnt have the same problem when i slammed the brake or it was somewhat fast.if you have the same problem 99.9% sure its the brake cylinder
                          Team DFTFC
                          Northern Virginia 703
                          Member rides thread

Comment

johnl's response is what I feared, I have had sponge paddle before, never like this one cuz initial feedback is very strong. but I found some ebay mc by adler, seller claiming oem . price sounds good for a new mc, how about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97...spagenameZWDVW
                            This was my exact problem. I replaced mine with a Cardone Remanned to OEM spec's. Still works great. People recommend buying it from the dealer, but everyone i know that works on honda brake systems says the remanned ones can last longer then the new, depending on how the seals last, and whatnot. I recommend re-bleeding the lines, top off the fluid, and check if you get that same sponge feeling. If you do, replace the MC - Do not drive until you do, It could fail completley at any time and cause an accident.
                            90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                            2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

dropping pedal is most often a failing master cyl.

My slave cyl crapped on me overnight...

possible that the new fluid flushed out debris that freed the inner bleed...rebuild...cheap and easy.
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X