Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How reliable is this setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How reliable is this setup?

Ok I am getting a 1999 Civic Si with a B20B bottom end and B16a2 Head with a Greddy Turbo Kit-Stock 9.5:1 compression-
    Internals: Forged Arias Pistons,Rings, Eagle Rods, Skunk2 Dual Tension Valve Springs, Skunk2 Titanium Retainers, Integra Type R Cams, Skunk2 Adjustable Cam Gears
    Fueling-AEM Fuel Rail, Adjustable Regulator, RC larger injectors
    Turbo Setup
    Greddy Kit
    Upgraded Greddy FMIC
    HKS SSQV
    Greddy TD05-18G turbo I believe
    He is running 10psi and tuned with Neptune Software
    My question is this- How reliable is this setup? I understand it is performance orientated. Just wondering how reliable this setup is.

Currently producing 325WHP @ 10psi on 91 octane

Thanks
    Last edited by 1993ACCORDMAN; 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM.
    1995 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed-DD and stockish
    1991 Honda Accord- H22a and lowered DD#2
    2005 SRT-4 ACR package-stock at the moment

It's very hard to say how reliable such a modified engine will be. The parts listed all seem to be quality. The reliability will depend largely on the competency of the people who assembled and tuned the motor. There is a LOT there for someone to screw up!

I wouldn't worry about the parts, but be sure you're comfortable with who put it all together. Don't just go on the word of an unknown seller. If anything, talk to the shops he took the car to.

Comment

Like Deev said, the parts used are good quality. Greddy is a great brand for anything "turbo". Of course Skunk2 parts are good, they focus on the Honda/Acura cars. I've yet to hear any negative comments about Neptune Software. 3 of my buddies are using it, and they've been fine. But, that's only 3 examples.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

re

Yeah that what I kinda thought too. As far as work done to it, He did alot of it. But his dad runs a car shop. So the work was done by him and his dad. Both mechanics so I believe the work wwas done right. It is very clean. Motor been done for about 12K miles. and turbo about the same

Comment

Sounds real good just dont drive like a maniac and im pretty sure it will last and just keep it maintained is the key
          PETRA tow montebello

Comment

re

If the work done properly would it be a pretty dependable setup, well as dependable as a performance car can be that is. lol

Comment

The problem with the B20 Franks is that the stroke is pretty damn long. its around 94mm or something like that if not a lil more. So it cant rev high. A lot of failures happen from over revving or lack of oil pressure in those motors from what I have seen.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

re

Lol. Just spoke with him. Motor work was all done by Apex motorsports. Well if that is the case, then I definitely would be aiming my next mods at the oiling system then

Comment

re

Makes me feel better that Apex motorsport did it. It is a reputable performance shop out in Arizona where the car is.

Comment

I've heard of Apex. If it's the same shop I'm thinking of, it's a good place. I would call them and ask them about the car. If they did that much work to it, especially recently, they should be able to give you some information about it. They could also tell you about the guy that gave it to them to work on. If he's a douche and beat the car, they would certainly tell you, because it could be THEIR reputation that gets tarnished if you have problems!

Do you know the seller? Or is this just a random car you found for a good price?

Comment

re

Found him through the vwvortex.com. Huge VW forums. Ive been talking to him alot. And viewed many pics of car. He seems rrally honest and pretty reputable as far as taking care of it and not abusing it. Most of the work was just recently done. Yeah Im going to talk to them and see what they can tell me about it. I know he said he paid alot for the work that was done there. If you want to make sure it where you thinking of
                      here the link to the place he had it done at:
                      http://www.apexr1.com/index.html

Comment

I noticed that the B20 isn't sleaved and doesn't have a block guard.....I dunno for sure...I remember the B20's having thinner cylinder walls than the LS motors....I dunno if the B20's are a closed deck block or not......but if your running that 18G on there you might want to invest in a block guard.....or just have someone sleeve it because of how thin the cylinder walls are......if your like me, or anyone else....10 pounds of boost won't be enough for verry long....... just lookin out for ya man....it's just an idea for you to look into man....maybe some more turbo friendly cams....Type-R's are nice for an N/A car.....but you might be bleeding off boost because of the overlap......
                        Yes I'm a GM fan....no I don't drag my knuckles...

Comment

Block guards are notorious for causing cylinder warpage. The stock sleeves will hold 10psi, maybe even more... but not too much more. If you're good with 10psi, that's fine. If you ever feel the itch to bump it up, sleeve that sucker. Unless it IS sleeved and just not in the mod list you gave (not that many people I know do forged internals without sleeving...)

I agree about the Type R cams... they likely have too much overlap to work well with boost.

Comment

re

Yeah that what I thought about the cams as well. Eventually I will plan on getting more turbo friendly cams and eventually when I have the money(LOL) may be a while- but I hope to add in turbo friendly cams, port the head, and sleeve the block so I can turn it up to about 17psi.

Any suggestions on what cams to use?
                            Also any idea what it cost to sleeve the block?

Thanks

Comment

re

Edited my post-
                              But yeah I be happy for a while. lol
                              It makes 325WHP @ 10psi on 91 octane.
                              Also dont know if makes a difference but its a TD05H-18G turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X