Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What is good manual driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starchland
    good manual driving is not riding the clutch, not slipping it too much through shifts, rev matching all the time, rev matching down shifts, blipping the throttle on down shifts, heel toe if your advanced.
    I do all of those things, and am working on heel toe. It takes so much practice to get it consistent and quick, I had it pretty good then I fucked up my ankle. So now I'm working on it again.
    Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
      powerband can differ a tiny bit by ingition timing, generally it is like 3k to 5500.
      So when dragging you would want to shift before redline, like around 5700 maybe? Or even lower?

I suppose w/ an intake and exhaust you pull up the power band though. Not that I have those.

Comment

Originally posted by 12gage
        and its also good to have an upgraded lighter flywheel, clutch... so you can pound through those gears.
        ehh dunno about that. It just revs up faster. Heel toe is basic stuff used more in autox events or track driving. you rarely use it in drag. Drag requires more of working the clutch, knowing your powerband. You know what rpm to shift at to where it will fall back to your powerband. Yea you can shift at the peak rpm where you make pweor but if you drop to the next gear and you fall under it well your fucked. Autocross and crap you gotta know when to shift and when not to. If you got a corner coming up and your already redline in second gear you have a decision based on distance whether or not to. Shifting = time lost.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          You have to know your powerband, and be able to shift effectively within it.

Every play Need For Speed Underground? The drag racing parts of that game have you shifting at certain points. A perfect shift makes you go faster. It does apply.

For example, I have an H22. The VTEC crossover is set at 5200, I think. If I shift at 7200, and shift quick, the next gear will start in VTEC. If I shift lower, or slower, it'll start out of VTEC... which is not in the motor's powerband... it's actually a bit of a flat spot. That will cost me in a race.

I agree with dev. on this one it is knowing the limits of your car and the perfect shift timing of your car. When ever you race your car you try to start in the cars powerband. If you start to early you will lose. If you start to late you don't have enough gear to get a good pull. Timing is everything. A persons knowledge about there car and the limits of there car is everything in this post IMO.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
          PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

it depends on the car but 5700 is good. with a dohc head swap and h23 IM and all that happy horse shit, i could pull to 6k plus. my shidt light was at 7k but i was worried that the bottom end was gonna blow
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

watch Initial D, they talk about a lot of driving techniques.

Plus its a killer show

Good racing techniques include dynamic drifting, weight transfer, toe-and-heel, clutch kicking (prematurely kills clutch), power steer, bootlegging (rallying), left-foot braking, power-shifting, Scandinavian flick
              DEVOTE

Comment

lol initial D I have no comment. I wouldnt put my trust into that stuff lol. Yea they say it lol but doesnt mean its applied or works in certain situations. However it is entertaining lol.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

the last time i was at the track some 2001-2003 BMW m3 was running 15's, it's suppose to be in the 13's. That just goes to shows how important the driver really is

Comment

Originally posted by green cb7
                    the last time i was at the track some 2001-2003 BMW m3 was running 15's, it's suppose to be in the 13's. That just goes to shows how important the driver really is
                    Could be maintenance issue too haha.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Yeah. I don't know if I want to clutch kick and all that on my car... plus drifting? hahah. In an accord? That show looks funny. Never heard of it though.

Yeah, I realize that there is a lot of driver involved. Which is why I was asking what to do, haha.

Is power shifting without the clutch? Isn't that really bad for your tranny?

Comment

Working...
                      X