Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What is good manual driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is good manual driving?

Okay, so I read people saying to get a "driver mod" or that you need to learn how to drive. Particularly with racing... oh and a 5sp.

Well what exactly do people mean?

I mean I rev match driving around town. And try to make shifts smooth.

But as far as racing or performance driving... I don't understand what you can do besides shift fast. But that's why I'm asking.
    Click for my ride thread.

what kind of racing?

learning lines and throttle control would be a little more for roadracing but it also depends on the track or auto-x.

auto-x, you usually stick to one gear. practice braking and throttle control.

drag racing is all about traction and launching.

getting gears down is a necessity for all types of racing. its all about learning the limits and pushing that limit through tires, terrain and how you approach the corner.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Hmmm... so a 2nd gear pull really driving a manual there isn't anything to do that makes you drive faster? Other than not miss a gear?

Becuase some people just drive so well, I guess it just kind of comes with practice.

I was mostly thinking drag, but auto-x looks so very fun.

Comment

back in the day, i used to practice clutch timing. i probably could shift faster than an auto.

so when the clutch disengaged, i was already shifting and engaging. just everything was timed perfectly otherwise id grind a gear. so the clutch pedal was never at the lowest or highest point, just where it disengaged and engaged.

rev matching is important for twisties.

but for drag, reaction time and the 60 foot's are what you are looking to practice on.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

You have to know your powerband, and be able to shift effectively within it.

Every play Need For Speed Underground? The drag racing parts of that game have you shifting at certain points. A perfect shift makes you go faster. It does apply.

For example, I have an H22. The VTEC crossover is set at 5200, I think. If I shift at 7200, and shift quick, the next gear will start in VTEC. If I shift lower, or slower, it'll start out of VTEC... which is not in the motor's powerband... it's actually a bit of a flat spot. That will cost me in a race.

Comment

hmmm. I have played that need for speed! Perfect shifts used to drive me nutty... its especially hard in a real car.

I try to time perfectly, but usually on dd I can shift faster than the rpm's fall, for most gears...

But driving fast how do you know its a fast shit? Chirping? Or just satisfaction.

And how do you find that perfect shift point?

I know this guy that can take the slowest car and beat everyone just because he has unreal abilities at driving. That's really what got me thinking. He doesn't even use a shift light or tach. Going like 100mph. He's so pro...

Comment

racing at the strip, you dont want to hear any tire noise. tire noise means that the tire is slipping...therefore you are not putting down 100% traction.
              I <3 G60.

Comment

i love my tire chirp!!! *thanks h22 for excellent times* yeah man drag strip is where to master this art,eventually you wont even have to let off the gas i just slam through the gears full gas(except pull to 2nd) 2nd to third is really the only one i guess! you dont need a tach you need to listen... to the car learn your engines whine at your a-ok rpm and shift! thats it, good luck in your driving quest

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Hmmm. I thought slamming through the gears was really bad for the tranny? I guess not if you hit them all perfectly though. Driving well is much harder than most people realize.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

whats good for the tranny isnt good for 1/4 mile times!

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                      You have to know your powerband, and be able to shift effectively within it.

Every play Need For Speed Underground? The drag racing parts of that game have you shifting at certain points. A perfect shift makes you go faster. It does apply.

For example, I have an H22. The VTEC crossover is set at 5200, I think. If I shift at 7200, and shift quick, the next gear will start in VTEC. If I shift lower, or slower, it'll start out of VTEC... which is not in the motor's powerband... it's actually a bit of a flat spot. That will cost me in a race.
                      This is why I hate my bb6. Its a 4 spd tiptronic automatic, and when I shift to second (around 7200), it shifts to second around 3900 RPM and I'm not in VTEC, not even close to it, that makes my car slow as balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hmm, I understand what you guys are saying...

And yeah, generally anything that's fun in your car isn't the best for it. haha.

Stupid 4sp, that's your problem!

Anyone have a vague peak powerband for a relatively stock f22? Just so I can play around and maybe see...

Comment

good manual driving is not riding the clutch, not slipping it too much through shifts, rev matching all the time, rev matching down shifts, blipping the throttle on down shifts, heel toe if your advanced.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
                            Hmm, I understand what you guys are saying...

And yeah, generally anything that's fun in your car isn't the best for it. haha.

Stupid 4sp, that's your problem!

Anyone have a vague peak powerband for a relatively stock f22? Just so I can play around and maybe see...
                            powerband can differ a tiny bit by ingition timing, generally it is like 3k to 5500.
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

and its also good to have an upgraded lighter flywheel, clutch... so you can pound through those gears.
                              Wife: "Why do you get G power platinum and i only get V power?"
                              Me:"Cause i have the high compression 93 octane only H22 and you have the bullet proof F22."
                              Wife:........................"But yours are prettier"

---------------------------------------------------
                              Wife:Baby, not everybody wants to do the 93 conversion"
                              Me:YES THEY DO, THEY JUST DON'T KNOW IT YET.

Comment

Working...
                              X