Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

High mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High mileage?

Help the noob time guys

I'm looking at buying a 90-93 accord (or cb7 as they are apparently called!) and I was wondering if I should worry about the high miles on a lot of these cars? I know that hondas run pretty much....oh...forever, but I still feel a little "iffy" about buying a car with 200+ thousand miles on it for my daily driver. (talking about the 2.2 here, with a 5 speed.) About how many miles are these cars good for? I have a '01 ranger right now with about 130,000 on it, and I'm looking for something that gets a little better gas mileage and has better handleing than my truck. (not to mention a little extra interior space!)
    2001 ford ranger, 2.5, 5speed.

2000 kawasaki KLR650A14 (stress relief )

i just turned over 200,000 on mine, and still no problems.

i'm sure there are people with more than me who will chime in.

Comment

Well the manual gearbox is a always a plus with these cars, especially with higher miles. I wouldn't worry about the miles so much, but more the overall condition and asking price.
      Check for rust and the condition of the suspension, and make an offer accordingly.
      As for MPG, me and some others can get over the original EPA ratings (24/29 IIRC, but I think the EPA revised it to 22/27 in the last year or so). YMMV
      Last edited by Otto; 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM.
      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

it just turned 18

if kept in good running condition, then you have nothing to worry about
        "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

I'm at 138000. Check out hondabeat.com and click on the high mileage club link. You'll see some amazing stories. By the way, welcome to CB7Tuner

Comment

29 mpg? nice... right now my ranger is getting about 21mpg, so that will be a nice change! I guess I can just go over any cars I find with a microscope to make sure they haven't been beat on... I would still REALLY like to find one with 150k miles or less...but that might be a little hard to come by. even though I doubt it will be a problem (living in southeast texas here) where are the common spots for rust on these?

Comment

i don't think it should be a problem..
              my old ex got up to almost 300xxx and i sold it..PLUS someone brought it too..
              as long as you take care of that car..

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

i'm at 328xxx kms original motor & tranny. no probs so far.. goal is to hit 700k.

i bought it at 321k 2 months back. it really depends on overall condition(rust, no rust, accidents) 200k miles is a fraction of half the life. if maintained well by prev owner u wont have any probs for years if u too continued with proper maintenance.

94 Accord Wagon EX-R/H22A 5 speed
                91 Accord Wagon EX-R/ F22A6 5 speed
                93 Accord Wagon EX/ F22A4
                91 Accord Sedan EX/ F22A4 5 speed
                94 Accord Sedan EX-R/ F22b1 5 speed
                94 Accord Sedan EX-R/ F22b1

Comment

Originally posted by trcsbrian
                  I'm at 138000. Check out hondabeat.com and click on the high mileage club link. You'll see some amazing stories. By the way, welcome to CB7Tuner
                  Thanks for the welcome! I noticed one accord over there on hondabeat.com with over 640,000 miles on it! (and in my ranger forum I even have my ford buddies telling me that the h22 runs pretty much forever! ) Looks like mileage is no biggie... just have to find me one now

Comment

Originally posted by naphta91
                    if maintained well by prev owner u wont have any probs for years if u too continued with proper maintenance.
                    Thats the main thing you need to make sure when purchasing something with high mileage. And all the normal rust spots can come later. But maintenance is key to a car getting good mileage first.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

my speedometer broke at 200,000 miles, and the guy I bought it from told me the guy he bought it from said it has been broke for 3 or so years....so i'm guessing 300,000 or more cause my friend drove the shit out of it going like 200 miles a day....I have yet to have any engine or tranny problems, the only problem ive ever had with mine is that it looks like a flaming pile of shit

Comment

^^ Yeah, my old prelude worked great, but was rusting and rotting to shit, including the oil pan. hah
                        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Check for oil leaks, and do a compression test if possible. If the engine is strong, you don't have much to worry about.

I would change the ball joints, and probably the axles if they don't already look new. Freshen the brakes, and you'll be good to go.

Also, if you live in an area that gets salt on the roads at winter, check the rear 1/4 panels and wheel wells for rust. A little rust is fixable, but a lot of rust will eat the entire rear of the car if left unchecked. It's not usually a cheap fix, as it requires welding.

My car has almost 230,000 on it right now (not the engine... that's a little over 100,000) and I can't complain. 200,000 miles isn't really very high for these cars if they are well maintained.

Comment

a lil under 400,000 miles on the original motor tranny and even the original clutch this was before my timing belt snapped and i bent valves so i decided to pull it out and swap in a rebuilt turbo motor
                            visit www.fourgasm-motorsports.com
                            For sale-Brand new stock f22a clutch and also have stock flywheel pm for details or prices

Comment

Working...
                            X