Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

what's up with people saying plastic headlights have clearcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's up with people saying plastic headlights have clearcoat?

as far i know there isn't any. what is this OEM clearcoat.

i've polished dozens of headlights and stared at thousands of others and never seen cracking, chipping, yellowing, ect, that would come along with clearcoat.

i've never seen a pair of headlights with orange peel. i've never heard of this anywhere but the internet.

there is none, prove me wrong if you can. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

if the polishing master says it's false, then i believe him.

Comment

I H0nestly Don't Know What The Fuk U Talking About...but Yeah...shyt I've Painted Cars For Over 6 Yrs In My Life....and For Those Plastic Headlights And Corners...like The 96-up Civic 94-accord Maxima's Altimas....etc.....i Wet Sand The Headlights Corners And Tail Lights....after I Shoot The Base I Just Slam In Clear Coat...and Shyt....looks New As Fuck....and Not Once A Costumer Complain About Having A Pealing Clear On The Headlight Yellow Shyt Or What Not....i've Painted 3 Of My Cars With Clear On Their Head Light Corner And Tail....even Glass Type Headlights...and Shyt Works Like A Charm!and It's Been 5 Yrs That I Had My Glass/plastic Head/tail Lights Painted With Clear...and It Ain't Fading...still Looks New!!!!
      Signature removed due to excessive size. Please read the rules before creating a new signature. - cp[mike]

Comment

Originally posted by dsyple
        I H0nestly Don't Know What The Fuk U Talking About...but Yeah...shyt I've Painted Cars For Over 6 Yrs In My Life....and For Those Plastic Headlights And Corners...like The 96-up Civic 94-accord Maxima's Altimas....etc.....i Wet Sand The Headlights Corners And Tail Lights....after I Shoot The Base I Just Slam In Clear Coat...and Shyt....looks New As Fuck....and Not Once A Costumer Complain About Having A Pealing Clear On The Headlight Yellow Shyt Or What Not....i've Painted 3 Of My Cars With Clear On Their Head Light Corner And Tail....even Glass Type Headlights...and Shyt Works Like A Charm!and It's Been 5 Yrs That I Had My Glass/plastic Head/tail Lights Painted With Clear...and It Ain't Fading...still Looks New!!!!
        Wow, Reading Must Not Be Your Strong Suit. I Think He (TypeG) Was Asking Whether Or Not The Headlights Have Clearcoat Painted Before The Car Was Sold As In OEM. What You Are Talking About Is Spraying Clearcoat To The Car's Headlight Afterwards.

I just wetsanded my friend's (2001) Prelude headlights and afterwards its very cloudy. I then polished it but after it dries it basically looks the same.

lol I don't know how you did it but it is taking me just too much time trying to capitalize every beginning letter. But if you can do it naturally then damn

Comment

There is clearcoat on plastic headlights. I have JDM one pieces on my DA9 integra. It's starting to peel on the top of the driverside. I'll try to take a pic right now but it's pretty dark outside.

the lense is starting to turn yellow where the clear coat is missing.

EDIT: here you go.
          Last edited by CB7_Fixer; 09-24-2006, 02:40 AM.

Old car: '91 Integra LS-Special Coupe
          New car: '95 Integra GSR sedan....Heeeeelloooo VTEC
          See my HID install

Comment

I can see why people would think it with them getting dulled by wear, but your right there isn't one atleast on the USDM ones.
            Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Comment

my kia has plastic head lights that started to peel so the dealer replaced them with the warranty.

Comment

lol...cb7tuner.com....just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...i love seeing people act tough on the internet..lol...ahh good times..carry on..

as for typeGs question...ive only heard of the JDM ones having clearcoat on em cuz they are plastic..i gues it was done to protect em?? ...never heard or seen it on teh usdm ones...so yea..w00t w00t...

Comment

Ive seen like the film covers that you put over the lights made by 3m I think but havent seen any with clearcoat yet. But some cars might have it on there as mentioned for protection. But personally repolishing them should be able to bring back the color and decrease the yellowness that tends to form with plastic housings and such for lighting.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Saturns come with a 3m coating stock after a while on some of the headlights it starts checking really badly.

Comment

ok, i guess there is a coating. i still think it's not clear coat that is sprayed on like paint. it must start off like plastic sheets like that 3M clear bra. it's just to uniform to be a spray. later.

Comment

Mine is cracking... I desperately want to find a way to fix it! I'll have to get pics... Maybe you can help me, Brian! My headlights are too heavily modified to replace easily. I'd rather fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by tunerman
                          if the polishing master says it's false, then i believe him.
                          agrees!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                            Mine is cracking... I desperately want to find a way to fix it! I'll have to get pics... Maybe you can help me, Brian! My headlights are too heavily modified to replace easily. I'd rather fix them.
                            i think you should burn the coating off with polish, then apply something like this:
                            you might want to try something like this
                            http://www.xpel.com/
                            http://www.cleartastic.com
                            www.hotspottinting.com
                            http://www.invisiblemask.com/howto.html
                            www.rockblocker.com
                            www.speedfilm.net

it's a clear film that appears to be what's on the jdm headlights.

i'm glad i know about this coating now, i was thinking people were smoking crack, lol. later.

Comment

I'd never heard about it either ... but now that I have a "modern car" (aka 5th gen, that's a joke BTW) I've read about it as well. (FYI 5th gens have plastic headlights. ) And since when isn't stuff on the Internet true?

Thanks for the links ... but I was wondering ... since people put clearcoat or polyurethane on painted bumper lights etc. couldn't you just polish the shit out of the plastic headlights and then dunk them in a poly bath?
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                              X