Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

auto or the 5 speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto or the 5 speed?

which one has the most get up, everone has their own opinion and i wanna know which is acutally faster?

Obviously the manual trans..

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yea buddy i have seen countless races won because the manual allows you to control your shifting instead of a tcu.
      Last show we went to my dude raced a talon with some slight performance mods and such. My dude has a Nissan Sentra Spec V. When it came down to it there weight difference was only off buy like 100lbs but the talon had the upper hand somehow i forgot but anyway because the talon was auto and the spec manual he lost by like 1 full car length. So thats my .02

Comment

ok, manual for these reasons..(OT..i had some guy in my french class..wanted to tell me that his LX with an auto would beat my 5 speed dx..i was like...wtf??..haha)
        1-manual has shorter gearing
        2-manual has ability to rev up on take-off, putting the engine in its powerband for a faster start
        3-manual does shift slower, but not as far as honda trannies are concerned
        4-manual loses only about 15% of power thru the drivetrain, whereas auto loses about 20% thru the drivetrain.

there ya have it..and, for the record, im talkin about stock trannies..so dont come up with stuff about stall convertors and all that..

Comment

alright slushbox or slambox...hmmmm...well let see...yeah id rather slam than get slammed anyday

Comment

Originally posted by 92accrdEX
            which one has the most get up, everone has their own opinion and i wanna know which is acutally faster?
            did you really need to ask this?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Cby0
              did you really need to ask this?!?
              Yes he did. But hes a n00b.
              So hes allowed.

Back on topic, A manual car with the right driver should be able to beat an Auto.
              Good points made by Mondo.

Comment

yeah i needed to because my ex auto is faster than my friends dx 5 speed, oh and another question, for an auto what are the shift points for normal driving because mine are really high

Comment

yeah i needed to because my ex auto is faster than my friends dx 5 speed, oh and another question, for an auto what are the shift points for normal driving because mine are really high
                  When i had my Auto LX normal driving around town was 2500-3000rpm.

Now, if i was gunning it most of the shifts were at 3500-4000.

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE
                    Now, if i was gunning it most of the shifts were at 3500-4000.
                    Still below the 4500 rpm powerband.

And the reason your EX was faster, assuming it is a 92 as implied by your name would be the better motor, the F22A6 that comes in 92-93 EX models.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

i just took my out for a test and normal driving is about 3300 to 3500, and if i gun it, it shifts anywhere from 5500 to 6 grand all day

Comment

Once you have looked around on this site a little you will see that a TON of people have gone from Auto to Manual for the exact power issue.

Comment

i dont see how heavy, 15 hp and a slushy will beat the lost weight and a 5 speed...this prolly was a kid who hasnt driven a 5 speed much..

Comment

i drive a 5 speed daily plus he only has an intake and exhaust on his car and mine has an underdrive pulley, intake, header, exhaust, ignition.

Comment

Some would argue autos are better for the drag strip... but manuals lose less hp through the transmission so a manual will have more hp plus better control of revs. A manual you can take it above the peak powerband so that when you do your shift, you're in your power.

Also, for road racing a manual is better because you don't want the auto tranny shifting in the middle of a high speed turn because it will upset the balance of the car.

Autos are best for cruising in traffic where there's a lot of stop and go.... my left leg gets tired after about 1.5 hrs of that shit!

Comment

Working...
                              X