Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Retaining stock piping up until muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retaining stock piping up until muffler?

This is called an "axle back" correct? Is anyone running this and happens to have a video/overview of it? I'm not looking for performance and I've read around that if you keep your stock piping then it's very restricting which is what I want, however I imagine that this wouldn't sound too great because of 1.75' piping going into 2.5' piping. Does anyone know if it'd sound decent? Thanks

Yes, axle back. The sound will depend on the muffler. It won't be terribly loud. Chances are, it'll sound better than a full cheap catback.

Comment

I'm also pretty curious. I've read many mixed emotions about axle backs, some say it sounds great if you're looking for a quiet set up but some people say it sounds like a bee hive.

Comment

It depends on the muffler. That's all an axle-back is... a replacement muffler.

Comment

Hmm all depends on the muffler, if I replaced my cb muffler with any other OEM honda muffler (for example s2000 or rsx) would there be a chance it'd sound like a beehive?

Comment

Most likely, no.

Comment

I agree, probably wouldn't give you the "bee-hive" sound. I just recently put a new muffler on my LX coupe (Walker Quiet Flow SS) and it sounds pretty close to stock maybe a little deeper at cruising speed but at idle i'd say identical to stock. Only reason I switched mine though was because of a leak in the original muffler.

Comment

I won't be a huge help because I don't have brand names, but I have two fart cannons, well three but I haven't heard the third yet. You certainly would not describe the sound as fart cannon if you heard it though. They are on stock everything including cat and are deep and loud. The bigger one is louder and deeper.They are generic junk yard finds. If its just sound you want it can be done. I think the biggest help with my sound is that both the flanges near the axle and my entire system is sealed and sealed again when a leak arises. Maybe yearly. I know there is a leak because the sound changes to fart cannon.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Thanks guys! So basically, if I keep all stock piping up until the muffler then most mufflers won't sound too bad?

Comment

Honestly sound is subjective. You could change everything from the header back and obtain a sound you don't want. Last night I helped a friend do a cat back that is more of a performance oriented stock replacement. Meaning it sounds like a stock muffler. His intake is louder than his exhaust. It's kinda funny because it has a relatively big outlet and looks flashy, but purred like a kitten. I'm sure a lot of people would be disappointed with that sound but that's what he wanted.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I'm running this setup, and it sounds good to me. I don't really know how else to describe it but if you have the car on and get down close to the stock muffler, you'll get that sound, but louder. Like others said though, it also depends on the muffler as well.

MRT---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200945

Comment

I was thinking about doing an axle back set up with the OBX twin loop muffler, until i could afford the piping...

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyw View Post
                          Thanks guys! So basically, if I keep all stock piping up until the muffler then most mufflers won't sound too bad?
                          If you put a cheap 3" ID muffler on the end of your stock exhaust it will sound like poop! But that's just my opinion.

Not quite sure why you want restriction in your exhaust, restriction doesn't reduce noise, it reduces flow. it's never a good thing.

If you want to have a nice sound go for an OEM twin tip muffler or Walker OE replacement for a 93 EX.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

i have an axle back blora. it sounds good at low rpm. who ever welded the thing on sucks. no dimes what so ever.

its got a horrible exhaust leak and looses sound around 4.5k. all i hear is motor after that. not a bad thing. the a6 sounds NICE.
                            USDM EX

Comment

^ Similarly, I just swapped on a 2" Magnaflow 5x8 oval muffler and took out the resonator completely (much of the system was rusted and replaced at the same time). I absolutely loved it - I actually got compliments on the thing from people on the street - and am about to do the same to my RSX.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X