Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

looking for some definitions for engine names/abbreviations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for some definitions for engine names/abbreviations

I was shopping around for a newer engine and trans for my 92 accord ex. I come across a few possible choices but got into the selling lingo and I didn't know what they meant. I say the abbreviation (SiR or sir) I tried to search it but no luck. My phones search gives me basic search info. Also, does the valve cover color make a difference? I saw selling points saying " this is a great running red top h22 whatever . Please enlighten me! Thanks my friends !

They should have engine codes like H22A, H23, F22B and so on.

The SIR,Type R and so on means what kind of car it came from most of the time. (Accord type R)

JDM, EDM, USDM is where it came from or what market its from.

JDM= Japanese Domestic Market

EDM= European Domestic Market

USDM= United States Domestic Market

DOHC= Double Over Head Cam

SOHC= Single Over Head Cam

And VTEC= VTEC.

Redtop, Bluetop and Blacktop dont mean much. The engine code is what you need. But if they only describe the engine as Redtop, Blacktop or whatever, a google seach will tell you what the engine code is.

Honda engine codes tell you alot of what you need to know about the engine in just a few letters or numbers.

For instance H22A. H= H series engine. 22= 2.2L. A and/or whatever number or letter is next= is most of the time what version it is. Its identifies the diffrence from one H22A from another. (H22A1, H22A, H22A4)

When your searching for an engine go type the complete engine code into wikipedia.

All of this info is on here but I felt like typing a little.

Here is the H series engine list.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_H_Engine

F series
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_F_engine

And K series
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_K_engine

Before you even consider or decide on doing and engine swap I suggest you read ALOT on here about swaps aswell as familiarize yourself with some of the info in those Wiki links. That will require alot of searching. I hope I answered your question.

Comment

Answer greatly appreciated! That did answer my question completely ! I was unsure of the whole color of the valve cover thing because in my industry some engines are identified by "top" color" ie red top Cummins as it's is the twin cam isx. I plan to read a lot I hate cobble jobs, I don't do it at work so I won't do it to my car. Granite engines have the same basic principles I am a total noob to the Honda scene . Tractors and combines are a whole different ball game.

Comment

There's a "sticky" thread in the Swaps section that lists pretty much every major engine option for our cars.

Comment

Found it! Thanks guys! The hard part will be choosing what engine and trans I want. The swap shouldn't be to bad once I have the necessary parts.

Comment

To be honest... the H22A is the most sensible option. Affordable, common, well-supported in the aftermarket (both upgrades and replacement parts), relatively easy to swap in, and it's OBD1 (so no crazy engine management solutions are necessary.)
            Everything else is "to be different", usually... but most people won't know, and the majority that do know won't care.

If you're considering turbo, stick with the F22A.

Comment

Working...
            X