Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question before purchasing a jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question before purchasing a jeep

I know this is a honda forum thus why I posted In off topic. me and a buddy are going to look at a 96 jeep xj 2 door 4.0 liter 4wd automatic 200k. Guy said out was like the 22re?

Anything to look out for with jeeps specifically as in common problems? Thanks
    Last edited by Quashish; 07-14-2012, 04:20 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Clutch packs in the automatics can go out fairly easily once they're this old but they're surprisingly solid cars. My best friend has a '99 TJ that we've put through hell and back with the same engine and transmission. Check all over for rust, though.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yah I was definitely gonna search for rust. And il ask about the transmission. The guy flips cars so he fixes then up but il double check about the transmission. The 22 re is the motor from a toyota. Any info about that?

I dint know much about trucks and stuff but I guess jeeps are a unibody?
      Last edited by Quashish; 07-14-2012, 04:31 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Motor knocks, buring oil smell, transmission fluid smell, rust, check the undercarriage for noticeable damage, oil leaks, anything odd looking in the undercarriage(damaged frame rails, rusted), if it is a soft top check for wear, holes, check the rear plastic window for any tearing, check for leaks around the axels, check the shocks/suspension components, drive it on pavement, but also on a bumpy terrain, maybe a curb? try the different driving modes, and makes sure they all work. Can't think of anything else, just check it for any heavy off road use.

Comment

Besides the atx will drop the clutches if the fluid gets burnt up. Check around the vent on the valve cover. If it hasn't been serviced, theres a baffle in the vc that will clog up, causing it to blow oil. Check the rear floor for creasing if you think it's been beat on, also the door alignment. As long as the floor boards and rockers are in it, I wouldn't worry about fender rust, the more you cut off of it, the better it looks in my opinion. So rust in the arches would make me do something I was going to do anyways.....sawzall

Comment

Originally posted by RedFalcoln View Post
            Motor knocks, buring oil smell, transmission fluid smell, rust, check the undercarriage for noticeable damage, oil leaks, anything odd looking in the undercarriage(damaged frame rails, rusted), if it is a soft top check for wear, holes, check the rear plastic window for any tearing, check for leaks around the axels, check the shocks/suspension components, drive it on pavement, but also on a bumpy terrain, maybe a curb? try the different driving modes, and makes sure they all work. Can't think of anything else, just check it for any heavy off road use.
            The XJ is a Cherokee, not a Wrangler.

So he put a 22-RE into an XJ?
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I think its like an re because its the 4.0 high output

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

wait. which engine is in it?

the 4.0 inline 6?

or the 22RE, 2.2litre 4cyl out of a toyota truck?
                Originally posted by deevergote
                These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

No its the 4.0 I think the guy said it was like an re because of longevity like comparing to toyota quality? Clean title though. Runs good very smooth. 4wd also works. Body had a few scrapes but no big. Just small stuff. Undercarrage looks great no rust under fenders our anything.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    The XJ is a Cherokee, not a Wrangler.

So he put a 22-RE into an XJ?
                    Haha I totally just imagined wrangler then.

You wanna post some pics? it sounds good? did you purchase it already?

Comment

Didn't buy it yet no pics I would feel weird. Its for my friend though. Gunna go back its white two door looks cool

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                        Gunna go back its white two door looks cool
                        2 door XJs are awesome. I was looking at one before I got my Tacoma. Only reason I went with the Tacoma was because it was 5-speed.

And this is 100% true:
                        Just
                        Empty
                        Every
                        Pocket

1999 BMW M3
                        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Death wobble, and even tho the 4.0 is bullet proof, if it starts giving you problems it only gets worse.

Other than that. It's pretty sold. The XJ was produced for 20+ years on the same platform so any bugs that you would expect should've been worked out.

I have a 96 ZJ and it's solid and haven't had ANY major problems in it's 200k+ miles. Been in the family since it was new.

Comment

Its a love/hate relationship with my xj. Seriously considering selling it right now to buy a newer car for my gf.

The auto trans in these are fairly bulletproof. Its the AW4 trans, which was manufactured by Aisin Warner, its very closely related to the Toyota A340 trans, and in fact many internal parts are interchangeable.

The 4.0L has good power, be aware the exhaust manifold is going to be cracked. An aftermarket header is about $125 on ebay.

Cherokee is a unibody, in fact they weigh about the same as a Wrangler due to this construction.

2 doors are cool.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Yah I just hope my friend gets something, but I would rather he got something that we could haul things in. and he wants something durable that can take a hit his family has a target on their back it seems. Bad luck with people hitting them. The plan is once we get something if it is a truck or jeep just to make it zombie proof.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X