Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I have a simple question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i learned to work on cars back in the late 80s and early 90s from my dad. I'd always be out there to help him drop a transmission, replace an engine.. brakes.. If he wasn't sure on how to do it, we hit up the public library for a repair manual. Just like now when i am unsure of something i look it up in a book the old fashion way.

Having the internet now is great for research but i can't take it out to the garage or driveway where the car is, well i can but i don't want to dirty my laptop.

My younger brother is 18 and he doesn't know jack about his car. I try my best to answer his questions when he has any or if he needs help with it but the most important thing is i hope he is paying attention when i explain because i don't want to explain it a third time.

Comment

The "instant gratification" generation needs to take advice from me:
      If you want something done, you don't know how to do it, and you don't have the time or patience to learn... do what you ARE good at to earn money, so you can pay someone else to do it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        If you want something done, you don't know how to do it, and you don't have the time or patience to learn... do what you ARE good at to earn money, so you can pay someone else to do it for you!

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first oil change i did was back in 1975 when i was 9 years old

i learned the most basic of ways, loose left-tight right

if unsure ,hit up the manual
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I learned how to do an oil change in 1999. Poorly. I spilled most of it.

Now, I'll take an hour to do an oil change, because I do everything slowly and carefully, and check everything in sight in the process. Well, that's when I actually do it myself. Usually, I take my car to have it done at a Shell drive-through. 10 minutes, and the guys there are good. They know me. Hell, they've been on this site! (the one guy shook my hand when I told him who I was... celebrity status, dawg! )
          Anyway, to me, saving 50 minutes worth of hassle to have my oil change done is worth the extra $20 or so I pay for it. It's done right, and I don't have to deal with it. I don't think it makes me less of an enthusiast.

Comment

But that doesn't work either, Because those people don't want to spend money at a mechanics - They want shit free as well as instant!!

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Simple answer: RTFM

[Read The Fucking Manual]
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                Simple answer: RTFM

[Read The Fucking Manual]
                Lol, reminds me of " Look at Your Map ".
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I love locking threads that people make in the middle of the night, and then bump 5 minutes later saying "anyone?"

The majority of the people on internet forums today, especially for inexpensive imports like we have, are too young to have worked on cars WITHOUT the benefit of the internet. Hell, I'm 32, and I've never worked on my car without the assistance of internet forums!

Older enthusiasts, guys that were tuning imports in the 80s and 90s, or muscle cars, or whatever... They know what it's like to be limited to greasy repair manuals, the guys met at the drag strip and car shows, the mechanic down the street, and their collection of buddies that probably learned right alongside them. They remember the days where the only way to find performance parts were to order from catalogs such as Jegs or Summit, go to speed shops that charged high markups, met guys at swap meets, found junkyard gold, or "knew a guy" that could get nice stuff (especially for imports... the performance stuff is all overseas!)

Today, kids have it easy.
                  Forums to tell them every little detail. Yet they're too lazy to even search those forums. They just ask questions that have been asked a million times, and expect answers.
                  Countless websites, ebay, craigslist, forum classifieds... kids can order parts from all over the world. Even though our aftermarket is quite limited, I bet we can name twice as many performance parts for our cars than the average Mustang enthusiast could back in 1992.
                  Again with the forums... they make for easy networking. You can make friends all over the world, and find a group near you that you fit in with. You don't have to trust that you'll meet cool people randomly at the track, or be lucky enough to stumble upon a group that gets meets together.
                  i am 29 and hadn't started to use the internet to fix my car until the last couple years, before that i always used a repair manual, getting it all greasy. i also hadn't started buying parts online until just recently. i had always bought parts locally.

also you talking about older enthusiasts from the 80's and 90's that's exactly what was mentioned in the editorial in my Honda Tuning magazine.
                  1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                  1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                  1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                  1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Wow I got trolled hard, I read Deevs first post x10 looking for his question. and then I scrolled down and realised what was going on...

As for a post in seen in the first page, Honestly the rules are like the terms of service, we just click " ok ", Hell the terms of service could be saying we are selling our soul but we wouldn't know. There are a few people who actually read them though..

As for me, Well I don't read rules, it's just common sense. I treat everyone the same as I do in real life, Well I'm more nicer on the internet because idiot immature kids have overpopulated the internet and I can't do nothing about it. Argue with them, and I feed them. Put them in their place and I feed them. Be nice to them and they are shocked and move on

Comment

I guess I'm kinda old school then. My Haynes manual for the accord is destroyed, in fect my gf and I were just using it this weekend to finish assembling her F22B DOHC block.

When I did the EFI conversion on my truck a couple months ago, I searched multiple forums and websites, reading every last word I could find on similar conversions. Used a little common sense, and some advice from a local guy (that I met on a 2nd gen Camaro forum) and I got it done! It runs now, not well since I have to learn to tune it now. Amazing what you can get accomplished by reading.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                        I guess I'm kinda old school then.
                        ^^^i'm old school too, i usually use my manual over the internet. unless it's something i really need to see a video of, like doing lower spark plug tube seals. (which i hope i did right. i hope it's the uppers that are currently leaking not the lowers)
                        Last edited by Honda_Lady; 04-04-2012, 04:23 AM.
                        1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                        1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                        1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                        1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote;2971226](the one guy shook my hand when I told him who I was... celebrity status, dawg! )
                          QUOTE]

I'm making you famous aswell Deev, Remember us when you make it big

Something happened in it and alll the people in there went at it with me, nit-picking at everything. So I got tired and pmed a mod.

here's the last two messages between me and him.

" 4:45am turbulence : Yes please, I want to go to sleep, plus you can credit Deev for my responses, I seen him go off on new people and it wasn't pretty.

4:46am Mod : Who's Deev? wow I'm actually scared of him now, please tell me where he is so I can stay away. "

Comment

Working...
                          X