Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Does the badge really matter!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the badge really matter!?!

So as we all know, Toyota and Subaru teamed up and recreated the AE86. Now Asian/European markets will be getting the Toyota GT86 and Subaru BRZ. While we are stuck with the Scion FRS and 6,000 copies of the Subaru. Now honestly, does the badge really matter? It's still the same car! I don't see why ppl get worked up over it. Hell, I don't see why ppl are getting worked up over the car to begin with! It's the same as a Mazda RX-8 minus 2 doors, and a wankel rotary engine.

What do you guys think? Is the badge really that big a deal?

(if you ask me toyota should've just made the original ae86 and called it a day)

What's a ppl?

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
      It's the same as a Mazda RX-8 minus 2 doors, and a wankel rotary engine.
      It's exactly the same, just completely different.

Comment

I'm confused?

The big deal about that car is that it's the first affordable RWD coupe made for enthusiasts from a major car company since the demise of the 240sx. People argue that the Genesis Coupe was the first step, but this car is the return to form of the lightweight, spartan vehicle.

The reason that Toyota hasn't released it as a Toyota is what they want for "brand image" which is a maker of boring, yet reliable cars. The Scion brand is for the "youthful, interesting" products.

Comment

Because the Xa and Xb are sooo interesting.

I thought a toaster with wheels was pretty cool....

Comment

The reason that Toyota hasn't released it as a Toyota is what they want for "brand image" which is a maker of boring, yet reliable cars. The Scion brand is for the "youthful, interesting" products.
            this pretty much sums it up. They dumbed up the XRS corolla and matrix to a less hp but more mpg car.. i know because my buddy has a 09 XRS.
            But yea.. toyota has to keep an image and rep
            Last edited by Jarrett; 03-15-2012, 11:39 PM.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
            My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
            Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

yes it matters
              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by buzz11 View Post
                this pretty much sums it up. They dumbed up the XRS corolla and matrix to a less hp but more mpg car.. i know because my buddy has a 09 XRS.
                But yea.. toyota has to keep an image and rep[/QUOTE]

Toyota used to have an image and rep of having some pretty badass and desireable cars.

Now when I think of Toyota, I yawn and ask if I'm in the appliance aisle at the furniture store.

Comment

The Genesis Coupe was intended to compete with the Nissan Z, which it does reasonably well. It's sporty, but it really isn't a small car.

The small RWD sporty car has been absent from the affordable market for quite some time. The introduction of this car brings back something that was lost with the demise of the AE86 and 200sx (and I suppose the 240sx). Once those cars were removed from the market, the only small, underpowered, fun, RWD car that was anywhere near affordable was the Miata... and being a roadster only, it's appeal was limited. Beyond that, the price jumped considerably for a Z, Supra, S2000, BMW, or Benz.

Anyway, to actually be on topic... There's nothing wrong with the name. Why Toyota and Subaru made this jointly, I'll never know (well, Subaru pretty much made it, and Toyota funded it.) Toyota has the money and resources to have done this themselves. Even if they had, we'd still get it as a Scion.

As AW said, Scion is the brand for the youthful market. Toyota has successfully removed any semblance of excitement from their vehicles, with the systematic euthanization of the Supra, MR2, and Celica. Scion has been geared toward the sporty youthful crowd, but their offerings have been meager... an underpowered toaster, a too-cute bubble, and a sleek coupe that's not too much more than a gussied up Corolla (as much as I hated the last Celica, I feel that the tC is a poor spiritual successor even to that!)
                  Releasing this car as a Scion is good for the brand, as it finally brings a car worthy of the brand's image. The unfortunate thing is that Scion's credibility is pretty meager. They're tolerated because they're Toyota... but Scions are rarely truly respected outside of their own fanbase.

Now, since this car is powered by a Subaru engine, will it really please the Toyota fans? I think we'd be better off with the Subaru version, personally. To me, what's under the hood says more about what the car really is than anything else.

Comment

^^ This!!

I completely agree! I'm kind of glad Toyota created the Scion brand. Back in 04 when the xB was all the rage i even wanted one lol. Something about a box on wheels that i found cool lol. Toyota has truly given up on their own brand [Scion] if you ask me. Their last couple of models have been, half assed. Their "Release Series", don't get me started. Back in 2004 Toyota hit it hard and suceeded. After 2007 they kinda fell off, idk what happened but it was bad.

The FRS will definitely bring back customers, and sales that the brand so desperately needs. It SHOULD do what the original xB did to the brand in 04'. That being said, if you have a problem with the badge just debadge it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      What's a ppl?
                      ppl = people
                      Rides:

Accord
                      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

im PRAYING to subaru to mass produce the brz STI
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by JDMDriver View Post
                          ppl = people
                          Yeah, I know. i was being a smartass, and criticizing his inability to use big-boy words.

I really think this car should have a Toyota engine in it for the Toyota model, and a Subaru engine for the Subaru model. That's the only thing that bugs me. We're getting a Scion, which is Toyota's "hey, America! We're still cool!" brand... that was largely built by Subaru, powered by a Subaru engine...

Scion FRS = Chrysler Conquest

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Scion has been geared toward the sporty youthful crowd, but their offerings have been meager... an underpowered toaster, a too-cute bubble, and a sleek coupe that's not too much more than a gussied up Corolla (as much as I hated the last Celica, I feel that the tC is a poor spiritual successor even to that!)
                            Not to nitpick, but the tC actually has the 2.4L out of the Camry, not the Corolla, surprisingly enough.

The tC is the perfect "girl car."

Comment

I dont like this car.

In my opinion Subaru cant make a car on its own (previously with Nissan then GM now Toyota)

Toyota cant make their own high performance engine, they essentially have a Yamaha engine on the LFA! The LFA is supposedly their greatest car? It stongly suggests Toyota isnt strong in the engine department. Toyota can only create a high performance look.

For Toyota (in the business for along time - longer than Honda) and still outsourcing engines says a lot in therms of technical ability and a loss of credibility as a manufacturer in my view.

What if Honda was to have a Nissan engine in their NSX? How would you feel Honda claiming credits for race wins, sales success etc

I dont want a car that has an identity crisis either. I have a dislike to non-original rebadged vehicles (even if it is a joint venture it would look and feel rebadged as another car with exactly the same shape and look would be driving around with a different badge).

Subaru and Toyota are fail .

No comparison to Honda, not even close.
                              Last edited by JDMDriver; 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM.
                              Rides:

Accord
                              92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                              96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                              88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                              95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                              91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Working...
                              X