Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

garage co-op, do they exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

garage co-op, do they exist?

i have always questioned / wondered if co-op or membership based garages or shops existed . a place you take your car and some parts and work on your car . a space that supplied all the tools some lifts basically a full set up shop. have always thought this would be a cool idea but i can also see all the problems that would exist.

i never seen a place like this but its a big world , curious to know if there's anything like this out there?

5th gear had an episode of just what you're asking about...... season 16 episode 4.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/fift...ode_693289.htm

Skip to about 7mins in.
    Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 02-04-2012, 11:09 PM.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Used to be a place near me called "Painter's Lane". It had lifts, welding equipment, paint booth, powder coating equipment, etc. You paid an annual fee for access to the work bays, I think a little extra for use of some of the equipment. They had guys who worked there to help, but it was mostly DIY. About the time I was considering repairing my 90, they moved. Quick search indicates that they no longer exist - too bad.
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-04-2012, 11:16 PM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

There is a garage in Nashua that you pay an hourly fee to rent a bay, the garage is fully equipped as well.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Those garage owners can be real sticklers.

'94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

that bit in that fifth gear episode is basically what i am talking about. i really wish there was a chain of them around were i live. it would make working on my car so much more enjoyable.i worked at a shop in Michigan , i just recently moved to new York for work in the oil industry. i went from a pretty unlimited use of my bosses shop as well as any tools to basic hand tools and a cheap floor jack in the driveway .

Comment

Elmira is very near where i am from and my family is still living. If i can think of something to help you i'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by JBradley500 View Post
                Elmira is very near where i am from and my family is still living. If i can think of something to help you i'll let you know.
                what area are you from?

this whole deal with car inspections is new to me , i am just glad NY's isn't to strict.

in Michigan it isn't rare to see a car with more air space and rust than actual sheet metal, you don't see that as much around here , i think in part to less harsh weather and their car inspections.

Comment

I am from about 50 miles north west of there.. kind of where 86 and 390 meet. I was thinking of Corning when i said i was close. I forget that elmira and corning are not really that close together. Now i live in illinois.

Comment

yeah that would be cool. I used to be able to go to an after school automotive program where they would not only let you work on your car but they would teach you how to do it better and help you solve any problem. you could also work on other cars s well. I would be there with my friends every week day and we'd work on eachothers cars. They had ten lifts if I recall correctly, a full set of tools for each station, even a parts store in house. They had it all there. It was completely free too! till the economy took a shit. First went the parts store, then we were charged a small 20 dollar fee per semester which was more than fine by me, and finally about two years after highschool the program lost funding and it was done for. I guess it was because not enough people signed up for it it was a real shame. I would pay $100 per semester if they would bring that program/shop back. I still drive by there and the shop is still open I see a few people in there every now and then but I talked to my shop teacher and he said he no longer works there and that it's stictly for base use (its located at an old air base).

Comment

http://fayar.craigslist.org/pts/2805866725.html

This shop just popped up around here about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was a radical business idea, and I am considering opening my own shop. Of course, one must follow the money...
                      '91 EX 280,000 || '90 LX 330,000
                      _____(me)__________(wife)___

Comment

get a friend in the military. some bases like where i live have auto hobby shops with paint booth, welding booth, just about every tool needed.

The Facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by 850 CB7 View Post
                          get a friend in the military. some bases like where i live have auto hobby shops with paint booth, welding booth, just about every tool needed.

Oh ya! I remember the Navy base in Pensacola had a great shop. I loved using it!

Comment

join the military u can use the lifts or garage bays and air tools for like 5$ an hour =P
                            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

my mom first learned about shops like that in the Army and using that information i was thinking about opening that kind of shop in my area with instructions for those that need it. i have talked to plenty of people in my area that would love to learn and save some money on their cars. (of course need the money to start it first.)
                              1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                              1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                              1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                              1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Working...
                              X