Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Inspection results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspection results.

So to those who know of my red coupe bought in late October, I took it in for a safety. I was going to take it a local friend of mine but SGI (our provincial government insurance) has been screwing with him for two months about the inspection papers and decals. I had asked my friend about known issues with my accord, Such as non-working pas window, inner door handle broken, e-brake indicator light is on, (Long story.. had issues with tail lights and had rigged the sensor on so they would work) just minor things. He had said he would not fail me over those issues. but seeing how an inspection from him wasn't happening at the moment, I decided to take it to Kaltire. 6 hours and $115 later, it fails.

To do list:
    -Cracked head lamp
    -Cracked corner lamp
    -Windshield washer fluid/sprayer (I think its just empty... they didn't bother to test that though..)
    -Brake lamp indicator light is on
    -A brake lamp bulb is burnt out
    -Pas window does not work
    - Inner pas door handle broken
    -No lock switch on pas side.
    -Left rear trailing arm bushing
    -Rear sway bar links (Mechanic buddy said he would charge around $400-$500 w/t parts for this and trailing arm bushing, the trailing arm being the major pain in the ass. I will look into fixing this further, hopefully gain enough knowledge to do it myself.)

Now I am wondering if it would be worth my time to pay for another inspection from my friend for $200, and not have to fix everything listed above, minus the rear suspension components. That is if he gets the papers. Or fix everything within 30 days and take it back to kaltire, where it should cost much if anything for a re-inspection. But it would be nice to have everything fixed properly. Then again my main worry is the electrical issues.. I had posted about the issues before, some may remember them, my tail lights did not work after dropping the e-brake upon start up. So I had fixed that issue by grounding the e-brake sensor to remain on. Also my friend said he has done a few of these trailing arms on cb7's, so he knows its a pain, but he started putting some kind of adhesive or filler on the old bushing, which he said would dry and become as strong or stronger than the replacement, and still have the needed flexibility. This said, he could do it for me for cheep, or possibly free, but Kaltire might not accept this fix as passing..

I do realize I have half assed the tail light fix, and not fixing the other minor issues may be more half assing stuff, but I just want to get it on the road. Although, I did fix my 88 Nissan truck, so now I have transportation and can get another job to start paying for all this junk.

So that's my story, I haven't had much worthy of posting up in a while.

Originally posted by SASKCB7 View Post
    To do list:
    -Cracked head lamp - Only if it's actually broken open, should it be a safety issue
    -Cracked corner lamp - Same as above. A hairline crack or chip in it shouldn't matter. As long as it is intact.
    -Windshield washer fluid/sprayer (I think its just empty... they didn't bother to test that though..) - Safety item. Would make sure that works properly.
    -Brake lamp indicator light is on
    -A brake lamp bulb is burnt out - Quick fix. Solves above issue.
    -Pas window does not work - Not a safety requirement.
    - Inner pas door handle broken - Not a safety requirement.
    -No lock switch on pas side. - Not a safety requirement.
    -Left rear trailing arm bushing - Potential mechanical safety issue. Fix if needed.
    -Rear sway bar links (Mechanic buddy said he would charge around $400-$500 w/t parts for this and trailing arm bushing, the trailing arm being the major pain in the ass. I will look into fixing this further, hopefully gain enough knowledge to do it myself.)

First of all you went to Kaltire, probably the worst place ever to go to for an inspection.

Half the things on your list aren't even requirements for a mechanical fitness assessment. You got screwed over.

Comment

Yeah I'm thinking I might swing by the SGI head office and ask them about some of this stuff. I can understand the need for a door handle as it would be a hazard if someone needed to get out of the vehicle in the case of an emergency.

Comment

Crash that shit
        Collect insurance
        ????
        Profit
        wat?

Comment

I can't plate, (insure) the car until it has been inspected and passes. I don't want to find another anyways. 5spd ones that are in nice condition seem to be hard to come by around here. Especially for a good price. Once everything is done, It will have cost me around $1500-$1700. Which Id say is a pretty decent price for a car with everything up to date.

Comment

A safety inspection should only consist of mechanical, suspension and electrical components.

-Windshield - Not cracked within driver's line of sight
            -Lights - working order, not broken
            -Defroster works (Heat & AC don't need to work, but as long as the defroster functions)
            -Horn
            -Tires
            -Brakes
            -Shocks,springs,bushings,tie rods,control arms,ball joints,steering components
            -Parking brake
            -Belts
            -Exhaust & emissions controls
            -Visible fluid leaks
            -Body damage & rust

All this BS with a window and door handles is just absurd. These are not components critical to safety fitness.

Comment

WTF... you live in the middle of nowhere... why does it matter?

Comment

I know right? Alberta inspections are not Provincially mandatory, and is solely up to the discretion of your insurance company.

Specifically, my insurance company is based out of Ontario, and in 3 years I have not been asked once to provide a safety inspection living in Alberta.

However, somewhere like Ontario, ANY vehicle must pass a safety inspection before it can be registered by the new owner.

Comment

In the US, inspections are done by the state... thankfully, NJ just abandoned safety, and only focuses on emissions. I have a guy for that!

Comment

What's more important? Slowly dying from the polluted air we breathe, or people dying in car crashes from unsafe vehicles?

Comment

In NJ? Slowly dying. Let the idiot drivers kill themselves.
                      I can't wait until I get on a racetrack. I'm a terror on the track thanks to my experience of driving for a living in this state!

Comment

Same here. Drivers are just brutal.

Comment

You aint seen nothing yet... dun dun.... B-B-B-Baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet.... till you drive here in houston.

People will run you off the road in front of a cop, you honk your horn at someone because they put you in their blindspot and start going over, they continue to go over, then come to a complete stop in the middle of a state highway, with a semi coming up behind me, to the point the semi started to try and go around because of the idiot. Full size pickup trucks bob n weeve through traffic in excess of 100mph. The amount of people with no tail lights, or their driving down the freeway with their reverse lights on is insane, you get people who lift 7th gen accords to fit 24's on it, how about a hoopty that is more beat up and rusted then the one Tippey got for $500, like an 82toyota, rolling on 20" blades. I could go on and on and on all day. Tow trucks pretty much do whatever they want, they drive so reckless they cause accidents, then get paid to clean it up.
                          Last edited by cloudasc; 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM.
                          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                            Tow trucks pretty much do whatever they want, they drive so reckless they cause accidents, then get paid to clean it up.
                            Good make work project.

Comment

Working...
                            X