Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Impreza or Evo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to own an Evo 9 MR so my vote is Evo. lol
    No suprise here..

I love how 4G63T engine response to bolt-on parts!! The only complaint is the interiors is cheaply made.
    Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Originally posted by HATCHing View Post
      I used to own an Evo 9 MR so my vote is Evo. lol
      No suprise here..

I love how 4G63T engine response to bolt-on parts!! The only complaint is the interiors is cheaply made.
      i did wish i can put my hands on a 90s evo like the 3 5 or 6 but i cant because usa and import cars rules suck but i guess ama get a 8 or 9 evo now i just need to find one that is not super rice out so far no luck they all look horrible makes me get a tear and hug the car and say "what have this horrible ppl done to you" but i will keep searching i seen some with low miles some little dents but nothing major.

ps. i will keep my accord 93 se with the h22 the reason i got it automatic is because i want my gf to drive that, that's why am getting the evo =D . i cant sale my accord hell no it stays in the family and driveway .

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
        Funny you say what you do. What exactly is it about your 3000gt that has to do with an evo?

The 2.0 4g63 motor was used in so many cars, for twenty years. It's only downfall is the maintenance. Which is about the same as any other Awd turbo car.

The sti suffered from design flaws -as I mentioned the 100mm cylinder bore is a bit much, and they frequently blow through headgaskets.

My opinion is that the twenty years the 4g was being used speaks for itself. Most people don't know shit about keeping a dsm on the road, and that's why they get such a bad wrap.

I'm curious though why you would ever compare a 3000gt vr4, to an evo. Not even remotely similar platforms, I think the only thing they have in common is being made by Mitsubishi.
        I am just giving my expierience with Mitsubishi. Incase you dont know, the 3000gt Vr4 was mitsubishis flagship car, before the Evo. I "know my shit" about keeping my "dsm" (the 3000gt/stealth ISNT a dsm , btw) on the road. Parts for Mitsubishi are VERY expensive, as well as labor costs. Doesnt matter how you take care of them. They arent like hondas and toyotas where you just change the oil and minor maitenence and you are good, these are very needy cars, as is almost any performance car. The previous owner of my car gave me a stack full of reciepts when I purchased the car.
        Here are some examples for you.
        Replace ABS hydraulic unit. Part cost $2271.00. Labor $450. Grand Total with tax. $2760.88.
        Replace Mass airflow sensor. Part cost $380.23. Labor $322. Grand total with tax. $747.94
        Replace Rear brake rotors, and front and rear pads. Part cost. $513.60. Labor $581.25. Total cost $1094.85
        Replace timing belt, water pump and other associated parts. Total cost $1334.09
        30,000 Mile service. $778.28
        Window regulator. Driver side. $176.27
        Idle air controller. $627.55
        Tune up. Parts cost $282.33. With labor total cost. $702.33

I also have a friend with an Evo VIII. Replacing the turbo (went at 76k) cost him around $3300, and he went with an aftermarket turbo, because the price of the original equipment turbo from mitsubishi was much more. Having a clutch put in cost him around $2900.

Originally posted by HondaB18 View Post
        i keep hearing high maintenance but i see none of those people have them

not that much, more than honda yes by no means a vw

insurance is the big thing most people have issues with

add to the fact that a 3000gt is not even similar to the maintenance cost of a mercedes. and after he mentioned parts for subaru is cheaper i knew he doesn't know his ish
        Sorry bud, I do know my "ish" Look at some of the prices listed for you above. You obviously dont, if you think mitsubishi parts are cheaper than subaru's. Parts for a wrx arent ridculously cheap, but they are certainly cheaper than parts for an evo. While both cars are obviously more to maintain then the average car, the evo is deffinently pricier. And you will be fixing that alot more in the years to come, trust me. Mitsubishis tend to need a bit of work when they get older.

Heres a few threads about the maintenece costs of an evo that I managed to find
        http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48210
        Here is your maintenance schedule
        http://forums.evolutionm.net/mitsubi...e-shedule.html
        http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43322

and some on the wrx
        http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...nce-costs.html
        http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/...e-costs-30542/
        Last edited by Theos92VR4; 08-26-2011, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Jesus fuck dude!!! $300 in labor for a mass air sensor. It takes 5 minutes. I did a full timing belt/water pump job on a 3000gt and charged like 700 parts and labor. Its about a 3-4hr job. Your paying out the ass. In labor.

As far as the 2 cars go, i'd say the evo is a harsher more bare bones car and the subby is more refined all around car.

As deevergote said, I would look more for a un-molested car that's been well serviced over anything. Your not paying for maintenance your paying when its been beeten and abused.

Comment

Originally posted by red07frontier View Post
            Jesus fuck dude!!! $300 in labor for a mass air sensor. It takes 5 minutes. I did a full timing belt/water pump job on a 3000gt and charged like 700 parts and labor. Its about a 3-4hr job. Your paying out the ass. In labor.

As far as the 2 cars go, i'd say the evo is a harsher more bare bones car and the subby is more refined all around car.

As deevergote said, I would look more for a un-molested car that's been well serviced over anything. Your not paying for maintenance your paying when its been beeten and abused.

hahah believe me I didnt pay for those repairs. I do everything myself. Those were reciepts from the dealer that the previous owner gave me. Havent had to really do any repair work to the vr4 since I got it. Except the timing belt and clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Zato View Post
              i did wish i can put my hands on a 90s evo like the 3 5 or 6 but i cant because usa and import cars rules suck but i guess ama get a 8 or 9 evo now i just need to find one that is not super rice out so far no luck they all look horrible makes me get a tear and hug the car and say "what have this horrible ppl done to you" but i will keep searching i seen some with low miles some little dents but nothing major.

ps. i will keep my accord 93 se with the h22 the reason i got it automatic is because i want my gf to drive that, that's why am getting the evo =D . i cant sale my accord hell no it stays in the family and driveway .
              Buy a mirage and make it an evo

Off topic but i find it funny how the poll bar for the evo is blue and the subaru is red

Comment

Get both
                My 90 coupe Mr thread....
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

Alot of people are saying the EVO has higher maintenance costs.
                  Can anyone elaborate on that as to why/where?

In reply to Theos92VR4's comment and the reply below:
                  Originally posted by red07frontier View Post
                  $300 labour - Yea more than likely that included initial diagnosis, replacing the part, and confirming the problem fixed + Calibration.
                  For the timing belt I can easily find $800 of dealer parts normal. Maybe you didn't notice where he said "and other associated parts"
                  I'm not singling you out - I just notice that people who do home jobs, or own their own workshop don't see the accounts of a dealer.

Oh and BTW things like - ABS hydraulic unit, Window regulator, Idle air controller aren't really "Common Maintenance"
                  More one off parts that occasionally fail - ALL manufacturers have those, that isn't just an EVO thing.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Also, the labor costs on all of the specialty cars... such as the VR4, Evo, STi, etc... are all going to be high... because the systems they're working on are usually quite complicated, the cars are worth more money, and the dealers want to be sure to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
                      Parts for Mitsubishi are VERY expensive, as well as labor costs. Doesnt matter how you take care of them. They arent like hondas and toyotas where you just change the oil and minor maitenence and you are good, these are very needy cars, as is almost any performance car. The previous owner of my car gave me a stack full of reciepts when I purchased the car.
                      Here are some examples for you.
                      Replace ABS hydraulic unit. Part cost $2271.00. Labor $450. Grand Total with tax. $2760.88.
                      Replace Mass airflow sensor. Part cost $380.23. Labor $322. Grand total with tax. $747.94
                      Replace Rear brake rotors, and front and rear pads. Part cost. $513.60. Labor $581.25. Total cost $1094.85
                      Replace timing belt, water pump and other associated parts. Total cost $1334.09
                      30,000 Mile service. $778.28
                      Window regulator. Driver side. $176.27
                      Idle air controller. $627.55
                      Tune up. Parts cost $282.33. With labor total cost. $702.33

I also have a friend with an Evo VIII. Replacing the turbo (went at 76k) cost him around $3300, and he went with an aftermarket turbo, because the price of the original equipment turbo from mitsubishi was much more. Having a clutch put in cost him around $2900.

Sorry bud, I do know my "ish" Look at some of the prices listed for you above. You obviously dont, if you think mitsubishi parts are cheaper than subaru's. Parts for a wrx arent ridculously cheap, but they are certainly cheaper than parts for an evo. While both cars are obviously more to maintain then the average car, the evo is deffinently pricier. And you will be fixing that alot more in the years to come, trust me. Mitsubishis tend to need a bit of work when they get older.

Heres a few threads about the maintenece costs of an evo that I managed to find
                      http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48210
                      Here is your maintenance schedule
                      http://forums.evolutionm.net/mitsubi...e-shedule.html
                      http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43322

and some on the wrx
                      http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...nce-costs.html
                      http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/...e-costs-30542/
                      still laughable, mitsubishi parts are NOT expensive and neither are their labor cost. for someone who haven't owned a high end car sure they may seem more than your average honda

how could i forget the abs unit? they are routine maintenance, not like they are service/repair item. they go every 15,000 miles so yeah gotta replace a few before getting to 100,000 miles not like an abs unit with labor cost would cost more for a bmw or mercedes

30k mile maintenance for $778? might want to check up some prices for even the cheapest entry level cars like g35, 3 series, a4 etc

how could i also forget that all the turbochargers from evos go out at 76k miles, add that to the routine maintenance cost. its not like the a4 turbo cost more or anything

i like how you used parts from a wrx and not from the sti

sure you know your ish?

Comment

go with the STI, lower mantinece than evo, same fun as evo, better overall car to drive to the supermarket and/or the track.

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
                        DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Evo would be more eye candy but id love a 2002 wrx

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
                          When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                          X