Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is this paint job worth the price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this paint job worth the price?

I have a 1990 LX and its clear coat is peeling, the roof is baked, same as hood, and the trunk is lightly rusted. Also a little damage to the passenger fender.

I went to maaco the other day to get a quote on how much it would be.

Here is what he gave me:

Value Prep and Universal Sealer: 245.00

Presidential 2yr warranty half price: 399.95

Uv Sunscreen and INT Clear coat: 199.95

Surface reconditioning: Heavy Sand Bad Areas 150.00 (trunk,hood,roof)

Fix right fender: Free

Adhesion Promoter for Front Bumper: 25.00 (I got a replacement one)

TOTAL:

Paint: 844.90 crossed out and lowered to 399.95

Body Labor: 80.00

Sublet/ENV: 54.00 (What is this?)

Gross sales: 1152.90 crossed out lowered to 707.95

No tax

Price incl tax: 707.95

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    U guys think thats a good deal?
    Can i bring it lower by doing some stuff on my own?
    He said any color btw.
    Last edited by AmznAzn; 03-05-2011, 03:19 AM.

^MRT^

Thats very cheap actually. Normally painting a car with all the prep work is $4000 +.

You know someone there?

Comment

I don't have any experience with Maaco, but I'll give you this:
      Materials won't cost that. If you're confident enough to try it, go read around and do it yourself. That's what I'm going to do.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by Dobermann View Post
        Thats very cheap actually. Normally painting a car with all the prep work is $4000 +.

You know someone there?
        It's Maaco. It's always cheap.

Keep in mind, you get what you pay for.
        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Thx for the quick response,

No i dont know anyone there.

And i was thinking on doing it on my own i just dont have a place to do it in.

I might just go with maaco

^MRT^

Comment

I've heard bad things about maaco. One of my friends in highschools truck had been painted by them, they painted over emblems and one of his fenders had rust that hadn't been repaired by them, which was bubbling really bad. My brother inlaw also had a car painted by them and they painted over his chrome bumpers. So I don't know I wouldn't have them paint my car but maybe the maaco in your town would do better.
            [/url]

Comment

Has anyone on cb7 forums had a maaco paint job?

^MRT^

Comment

Maaco is independently owned/operated, each one is different. Ask around to find people in your own area that have had them done by this particular Maaco. There's a sticky on this...

Personally, I'd shell my car myself and deliver it on a trailer (rent a pickup and a flatbed trailer from U-Haul or something). Keep it drivable so they can move it around but with all lights, mirror glass, trim etc removed and the interior stripped except the driver seat so they can paint the door jambs.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-05-2011, 04:13 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I had Maaco work done, it's ok... I wouldn't do it for that little... But, I'd turn out a better product... Before I got into auto body I had my front and rear bumpers and side skirts painted at Maaco for almost $700. I thought they looked great till I went to school for auto body, then I was able to see how poor the finished product actually was.
                  Last edited by wherm; 03-05-2011, 04:44 AM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
                    Materials won't cost that. If you're confident enough to try it, go read around and do it yourself. That's what I'm going to do.
                    this thread is helpful for knowledge credit to KeeleDesign!!
                    while looking for that thread i found this awesome informational thread i wish i had seen before i did my roof project
                    before you go and paint the whole car, (if you have never done auto painting before), practive on a flat surface, id get a piece of sheet metal, paint it quickly to have some paint on it, sand it clean, then primer and paint then clear, and see how you did. then do it all over again. then after you feel comfortable with that, get something with a countoured surface and do the same.

painting takes alot of patience and time.
                    I did it once on my roof to protect it from rusting, i got called into work as i was clearing the darn thing, so i had that part rushed, i wanted 4 coats of clear but only got to do maybe 1.5, sigh, (dont rush anything!!!) and definitely dont use super abrasive sand paper, bad decision

i wish i had decided to practice on a separate piece of metal before hand

Originally posted by AmznAzn View Post
                    Has anyone on cb7 forums had a maaco paint job?
                    Deevergote is one of atleast a few members
                    he says good things about them, but I believe he also warns that the experience with them is sually on a shop by shop basis, where one shop may do an outstanding job, another shop may do a terrible job
                    Last edited by KB7; 03-05-2011, 05:05 AM.
                    _

Comment

aircraft primer awl deh way

Comment

You won't find it cheaper - but it will be a very basic paint job: same color, tape off everything (rather than removing) and cheaper paint. Comes w/ a 2 year warranty, I would guess it will probably last twice that, but in all reality thats not very long.

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
                        IMO painting is easy, the prep work is what takes all the time. Geoff autobody is a great thing to learn but if he's only looking at doing one car $700 isn't bad for a "regular paint job." The material costs to DIY add up pretty quick (a gallon of paint is over $200), and the tools to do it add even more - HVLP gun, regulator, air dryer, resporator (my gun ran $700 alone). If he were to pull trim, seals and moldings then he'd have to worry about costs of anything damaged also.

Maaco saves you money by short cutting some things, like not removing molding, seals and door handles, and I'll bet they don't do the door jambs either. Not a bad price - paint and supplies are probably around $300 alone, then you've got labor, and misc costs - I've never went under a $1k for a whole paint job but I've always removed everything....

Comment

Originally posted by tru2037 View Post
                          IMO painting is easy, the prep work is what takes all the time. Geoff autobody is a great thing to learn but if he's only looking at doing one car $700 isn't bad for a "regular paint job." The material costs to DIY add up pretty quick (a gallon of paint is over $200), and the tools to do it add even more - HVLP gun, regulator, air dryer, resporator (my gun ran $700 alone). If he were to pull trim, seals and moldings then he'd have to worry about costs of anything damaged also.

Maaco saves you money by short cutting some things, like not removing molding, seals and door handles, and I'll bet they don't do the door jambs either. Not a bad price - paint and supplies are probably around $300 alone, then you've got labor, and misc costs - I've never went under a $1k for a whole paint job but I've always removed everything....
                          Well that's different. I meant spray paint and some prep. That would only be about $100.
                          If you're doing it the pro way then you have to deal with all those start up costs. I remember several hurdles I had to overcome(buy) to get where I am today, the main one being an air compressor. If you already have some of those things, the cost will be significantly less.
                          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Dont do it! I've seen Maaco jobs, dents "repaired" but you can see the bodywork thru the paint, ie thin primer. Surface defects that weren't warrentied, they blamed it on the previous paint on the car. So either way their prep work is shit. Plus when the guy picked up his car it had 5 miles more on it, than when he dropped it off. Car was a Monte SS with a 400hp 350.

Maaco is a franchise and the shops have to buy the materials from Macco's corporate supplier, and the shops get bent over on the prices. So the shops have to make the money somehow, if not in high volume then in low quality.

Honestly I would just do all the prep work, sanding, fixing dents you can tackle, door dings, and then take it to a capable production body shop. Most of the labor you are paying for is in the prep work, painting the car is cake and only takes a few hours.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              Honestly I would just do all the prep work, sanding, fixing dents you can tackle, door dings, and then take it to a capable production body shop. Most of the labor you are paying for is in the prep work, painting the car is cake and only takes a few hours.
                              This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X