Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Thanks for the inspiration. Newby intro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the inspiration. Newby intro.

Greetings from Utah.

I sold Honda's from 1996-1999. Always wanted a CB7 but at the time I had enough money to drive new ones. I needed a commuter car for work and found me a decent 1991 LX with manual trans and 215k for $750.00. Needed tires and a windshield.

I got that done and it needed an exhaust resonator (still not sure exactly what that is) and driver window motor to pass inspection (damn that was expensive). Should have done it myself, but I needed a car to drive.

Two days later the alternator went out. Once again, no time to work on it myself I needed it back in action so I took it to the shop. So my $750 dollar car has now cost me more like $2500.00.

Ordered some new honda hubcaps (I'll get at least 15 more horse power from those) to make it look a little nicer for the time being.

Need to figure out why two of the windows seem off track and won't go all the way up. Any thoughts?

And.... Thanks for the inspiration...... Looking around this forum, I now have to lower it and find some 17's and low profile tires, tint, paint, and swap in a new H22 motor when this one dies. Nice forum and NICE rides!

I found a twin to my car for sale with less miles just $800. If I had any money left, I would buy that too. It's a disease.

Welcome to the site .

Although the alternator is a SUPER easy fix. It took me 10 minutes to change mine out last night.

Enjoy your stay you'll learn allot here.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Brother, an alternator is not that hard to replace. No time? but you had time to drive it there and wait for them to fix it? I mean no offense, but the reason that 750 turned into 2500 is because you let someone else do it. I've spent 500 on my car with 136k on it. & I've bought WAY more parts and I've spent only 600 more so far. I got, clutch master& slave cylinders, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, manifold gasket, manifold studs, alternator belt, front upper control arms, ball joints, bushings, bolts, clutch&pressure plate, antifreeze, a new distributor. I'm not even done yet. Then again, I'm walking to work every day & have time to put all this in.

I would never take my car somewhere to replace the alternator though. I would just get a jump, make it to advance, buy the alternator and put that sucker in right there in the parking lot. done. as far as the resonator. if it's bolt on like my exhaust, that's simple too. just might need gaskets. & you need jackstands. However if it needs to be welded I understand. However since when is a resonator required? That sounds like someone feeding you a line. A resonator is all about the sound, unless there is some sort of law in Utah that your car cannot be above a certain decibal to pass inspection.

Once again. I mean no offense, I'm just saying. you want to make ur money go farther? then shop around, find deals, and don't take your car to a shop for something simple like an alternator. It would've taken you just as long to replace it & wash your hands(if your bay is dirty), as it took you to bring it to the shop and wait for them to put it in unless you were first in line. Small things like that are rip-offs if you have a shop do it in my opinion. I'd rather spend the money I would've paid a mechanic on tools to do a job myself. But I'm a grease monkey & I hate paying someone to do something I love doing.

Stick around, and you'll learn a lot from this site. Especially if you want to save money. You can save a lot if you do things yourself. Now if you said a clutch needed replacing and you didn't have the time, I'd understand that. What kind of hours are you working?

edit: by the way, you don't need 17s. 16s are more efficient because of the lower weight & keeping the weight closer to the center of the wheel. as far as centercaps giving you horsepower? please tell me you're joking.
      Last edited by blu35p4rr0w; 02-14-2011, 09:52 AM.

The Blue Bomber

Comment

You're definitely getting raped at the shop. Click on my sig and check out my MRT. I have less than $2000 in the entire project, including the car, and it had less rust when I bought it.

Pull the door panels and check the windows, When you peel the plastic back, you'll be able to look around and see if the regulator is loose or the glass is loose from the track.
        The resonator is basically a wider dimension piping section designed to slow exhaust gases and reduce noise.

Comment

If the windows aren't going all the way up... like, stopping about an inch from the top (the rears are known to do this), then a plastic piece on the regulator has broken. You'll need to replace the regulator.

Comment

Thanks all. Yes..... joking about the hub caps (actually expect 20 hp). And yeah, looking back I wish I did it myself. I can do brakes, oil changes etc.. Never messed with an alternator in a small car. In my old jeeps there was room to work. I'll figure some stuff out on this car.

I do look forward to learning more about working on these cars. Always been my favorite generation of Accord.

Tried to fix the power antenna last night. The one I got from my buddy in the parts department didn't want to fit in. I thought they were kind of universal but the sleeve that locks it into the motor was just too big. Even tried crimping in down a bit. Hopefully I can get that to work since the motor is still good.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If the windows aren't going all the way up... like, stopping about an inch from the top (the rears are known to do this), then a plastic piece on the regulator has broken. You'll need to replace the regulator.
              Yeah, the one window stops about 1/2 inch from the top. I'll see about a regulator.

Comment

Working...
              X