Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ae86 + f22 dsm turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ae86 + f22 dsm turbo?

It gets boring here in iraq.
    i know it would be a lot of hours and who knows how much money to do this
    i want to see what others think

f22 dsm turbo very matched hp and tq #'s
    4age N/A high reving, low torque < hp #'s

f22 dsm turbo in an ae86
    con's
    throw off front to rear weight ratio and higher than normal torqe #'s making it a slower drift car. (too much wheelspin)
    finding a tranny
    pro's
    easy to acquire honda parts
    more tuning options
    use less physics to get sideways as compared to the perfection of technique used with the na 4age
    a badass honda motor in a toyota

suggestions comments.
    please feel free

A lot of custom work would be involved. I love the F22A, but honestly... if I were to put something creative into an AE86, it'd probably be something more interesting. F20C/F22C, 13b, LS1...

I sure as hell wouldn't put a DSM turbo on an F22 that I spent so much effort getting into an AE86. If I did go that route, I'd build a quality turbo setup... not halfass it with junkyard crap.

Comment

nevermind figuring out how to make the engine standard rotation.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

You know there are different tried and true engine swaps into the AE86 chassis right? Much much common ones are the silver top, blue top and the 4A-GZE. The A series engine has many compatible parts with each other so you can mix and match, much like the B series engine from Honda.

Comment

It's an old, relatively simple, RWD car... the possibilities are endless. It's much easier to do a crazy swap in a RWD car than it is a FWD car.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            nevermind figuring out how to make the engine standard rotation.
            F20C... not a bad idea. I forgot about that one. higher hp than tq. Of course the drivetrain wouln't have a chance of surviving

LS1 Best bang for the buck yes. Way too much torque. This would lead me to think the little corolla would be unpredictable under sideways conditions. Unless you cut out the fender wells for a wider tire.

The 4age series.
            I have ae101 20v sitting in my storage compartment at the moment. Its a pretty expensive motor to modify. ECU tuning ITB's. The cheapest way i found is megasquirt. I don't want to blow motors. Or maybe its just cause I have never tried it? idk.
            but i do love the originality of the 4age series in any ae86

Deevergrote
            you are very correct on the junkyard turbo set up. what i was trying to say was 4g63 type of turbo's. Probably like a 16g or whatever i needed for the application

the f20c sounds like a good option though
            sorry for typin your heads off. i hate talkin to all the guys who think v8's are the shit. deployed with a unit from montana haha
            thanks

Comment

V8s have a lot to offer, but it depends on the application!

The rotary would be fun... and since it's so small it could be set back really far for good weight distribution.

Turbo on almost anything would eventually produce some V8-level torque... so the torque argument against a V8 is thin. Not that I'd actually want to see a V8 in an AE86...

The F20C has been done before, but the results were good. The F20C can also hold up to quite a bit of boost, I've seen. In stock form, that is.

The 4AGE is great, but they are getting old... and popular. Popularity creates a saturated and overpriced market... full of expensive junk, and picked over motor selections. Just like the AE86 itself (it's now hard to find one that hasn't been beaten on, unless it's owned by an oldschool enthusiast... and NOT for sale! )

Comment

No dont ruin a perfectly good Toyota with honda parts, Throw in a 2jz, You can get a N/a 2j out of a fucked up Lexus and call it a day, Or go the fun way and find the Twin Turbo piece... I am a chevy guy as well You cant go wrong with an LSX! Rotarys are plenty of fun, Till you blow an Apex seal, You practically have to be a rocket scientist to replace one of those!
                Last edited by 92CB7T; 02-04-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

It's not hard to rebuild a rotoary. They have like 6 moving parts. You just need to know what you're doing... which many people don't!

And honestly... the F20C is a superior piece of engineering compared to the 4AGE.

Comment

Thats all about opinion, Im more into Yotas than Hondas, I only got this CB cuz I couldnt find a good toyota to fit my budget, The 4a is a Great engine, So much potential, Rotarys are very hard to work on dude, I dont know if youve ever attempted to replace a seal but HOLY FUCK! and if the Housing goes, FORGET IT!

Comment

Yeah, if the housing goes, it's done.

I've never been a Toyota fan, really. The old 80s ones are about all I like (aside from a select few 90s and newer... like the MR2, and I can't help but love the IS-F)
                      It always bugged me that he cylinder heads were engineered by Yamaha. I mean, what automotive superpower outsources the engineering of the entire cylinder head, for just about all their engines!?

Comment

Yea That is pretty much bullshit, The ISFs are BEAUTIFUL! But the Mark 4 Supra has a special place in my heart, The MR2 Turbo is TITS!

Comment

The Mk4 Supra is amazing, but I got so tired of all the hype surrounding it... I don't like them, unless I'm looking at one. Then I realize why they're so popular. That's probably the closest thing to a muscle car Japan has ever produced (at least for its time.) It was known for straight line performance more than its handling ability.

I was really searching for a MR2 Turbo for a while... but they're all either REALLY expensive, or beat to shit (some are both! ) Eventually I realized I didn't want that much of a project... or such an impractical car... Someday, I might grab one. It's on my list of cars I want but have no use for at the moment (along with a Galant VR4, FC, SVX... the list is quite long... )

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            It always bugged me that he cylinder heads were engineered by Yamaha. I mean, what automotive superpower outsources the engineering of the entire cylinder head, for just about all their engines!?
                            An automotive superpower that can't build a proper engine Yamaha builds nice engines from the 4age to the 2zz to Volvo's V8. Then there is the SHO one.

Comment

Yeah, Yamaha definitely does know what they're doing. They build a hell of a motorcycle as well.

I wonder why they've never gotten into automobiles, other than building engines (or parts of engines in some cases) for other manufacturers. I suppose they realize that they have a firm grasp on the motorcycle market, and a sweet deal with Toyota (and others that they build for, but I'm sure Toyota is their bread and butter...) To build their own cars would be competing with the companies that are currently a major source of income for them... and they'd have to start at the bottom (they'd be another Suzuki... another company that clearly knows how to build a motorcycle, but has always had a tough time carving out a respected place in the automobile market.)

Comment

Working...
                              X