Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Retarded engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retarded engine swap

I have a wild and crazy idea that I've been pondering for a wild project. Basically I have an old minivan that I need to get rid of. The engine and tranny are still good though.. you can guess where this is headed..

Is it possible, and what challenges would I expect to overcome, to put a 3.8L Ford Essex V6 engine in a CB7? The one I have is rated about 200 HP when installed in a heavy-ass van.

I had visualized attempting this with a scrapped cb7 chassis, and swapping out the entire front end of the minivan (from the engine to the wheels) in one shot. the biggest question i guess would be, would it even fit?

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

I don't see that it would be worth the time or effort even if it was short enough. That's a serious amount of cutting and welding to get it in there, and factory HP ratings are at the crank, so it isn't going to be any more power than an H swap.

Comment

was considering an H22 but cant afford it lol.. i do have a ton of welding equipment and experience however. just want to know if its even possible.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

If you want to put the wrench time and/or cash into it, anything is possible.

You're probably going to want the harness and ECU from the minivan (and a schematic for each vehicle to help you cut and splice), and I can't imagine what else. It's going to be a complete bitch dropping a Ford driveline into a cb7.

Comment

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
          The one I have is rated about 200 HP when installed in a heavy-ass van.
          The horsepower would remain the same, it's not based on the vehicle's weight.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

i'm too busy/lazy to actually do it.. but it might be a fun project for the future.. muahahahaha! i will also note that the minivan is in working condition, and has been converted to a work vehicle, complete with pulling transmission, tranny intercooler, the works. imagine a little japanese car with an american engine, pulling a horse trailer.

(for safety i will note that it is not wise to pull a heavy trailer with a light vehicle, regardless of torque)

Comment

Sell the van and the motor and buy an H22. Problem solved.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

You're going to be left with TWO ruined vehicles and one working (but useless) engine.

It could be done, but honestly... that's a turd of an engine anyway. There's really no benefit to doing it, even if you pull it off.

Comment

wow dude i thought of the same thing driving my dads mini van today. honestly id invest on something with a bit more power even if i had the welding and knowhow for the job!
                  ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Well considering that I have done more engines swaps on windstars and taurus. I can tell you that it wound not work. It would not fit it the engine bay due to the fact that the trans runs behind the motor for one and also the output for the axles would not come close to lining up. On the windstar engine it is also way taller with the intake plenum so you would not be able to run a hood. Like deeve said, you would end up with 2 busted cars in the end

Comment

Working...
                    X