Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

whats the best clutch kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the best clutch kit?

so yea guys as the title says what clutch kit do you recomend and whats the lowest price but good quality clutch i should buy?

Exedy. Use a throwout bearing directly from Honda.

Comment

thanks bro thats what i had in mind so why use a honda bearing? just curious

Comment

I've never heard anything good about aftermarket bearings, and I've had horrible luck with them myself. If the bearing fails, everything else gets destroyed. A $40 Honda bearing will save you a lot of time and money.

Comment

ok i will use your advice i dont want my cb to crap out after i do my swap cuz i didnt listen

Comment

have to ask a noob question but is there another bearing i have to buy besides the throw out bearing?

Comment

Originally posted by devstar66 View Post
              so yea guys as the title says what clutch kit do you recomend and whats the lowest price but good quality clutch i should buy?
              if your all OEM then exedy OEM spec one is good enough. also you should get the OEM through out bearing. but Ive always rocked the aftermarket ones lol

also do not forget to get the flywheel resurfaced & to change the rear main seal

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                if your all OEM then exedy OEM spec one is good enough. also you should get the OEM through out bearing. but Ive always rocked the aftermarket ones lol

also do not forget to get the flywheel resurfaced & to change the rear main seal
                i dont have to resurface the flywheel if i buy a new one right?

Comment

I got an Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit that's been doing well ever since my 5spd conversion back in Aug 09'.

I think I paid 260 shipped for it. It came w/ a KOYO TO bearing so I just used that and it hasn't given me issues thus far w/ over 10k miles since then.

This clutch grabs a bit harder than an OE clutch would, so driving isn't as smooth, or it could be due to me having an 8lb lightweight Fidanza flywheel.

But it does take the abuse well and hasn't slipped even at 8K shifts. I basically learned how to drive stick after I did my 5spd swap and it's still just like the day I put it in. So its a durable clutch.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

nice bro i think i will go with that i just want to have a good strong clutch i like to drive fast so might be what im looking for

Comment

The clutch has nothing to do with how fast you go. If you're not putting down a lot of power, you don't need anything more than stock replacement. In fact, it will only make driving more difficult, and it will wear out faster.

Most aftermarket flywheels have a pilot bearing, and should come with it.

You do not have to resurface a new flywheel.

I HAVE heard that the bearings that come with the Exedy kits are good... though after the carnage that ensued after my cheapo XTD bearing caused, I'll play it safe and use one directly from Honda from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        The clutch has nothing to do with how fast you go. If you're not putting down a lot of power, you don't need anything more than stock replacement. In fact, it will only make driving more difficult, and it will wear out faster.

Most aftermarket flywheels have a pilot bearing, and should come with it.

You do not have to resurface a new flywheel.

I HAVE heard that the bearings that come with the Exedy kits are good... though after the carnage that ensued after my cheapo XTD bearing caused, I'll play it safe and use one directly from Honda from here on out.

A higher stage clutch wears faster? Is it just because of the materials used to make the clutch?
                        I am need of a new clutch soon, but have never heard that a higher performance clutch wears faster than OEM. Thanks for the insight!

Comment

I'm actually only making an assumption based on what I know about brake pads (and clutch material is similar). I suppose I shouldn't have said that with such authority.

However, added grip with a friction material usually results in a shorter lifespan. Much like summer tires vs. all season tires. Sticky summer tires will wear out faster, while providing significantly better grip.

Comment

Yeah it made sense once I thought about it, but I had just never heard it before. It may not be very noticable since most people won't change the clutch but one time in owning a car (most people I know don't keep a car longer than 4-5 years haha).
                            But it is something worth looking into! Thanks for the insight though!

Comment

Originally posted by devstar66 View Post
                              nice bro i think i will go with that i just want to have a good strong clutch i like to drive fast so might be what im looking for
                              yeah, according to the claims of Exedy, the stage 1 has a 36% higher torque capacity than the OE clutch does. And Exedy is the OE supplier to a LOT of cars, so they're quality is superior

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X