Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need help convincing my parents..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help convincing my parents..

so ive had my cb for a little over a year now and its been through alot. for one, it was stolen from my drive way and the police found it almost 3 months later. but basicaly i havent done much to it other then an aem sri and some minor cosmetics to the interior. my parents are really against me doing anything to my car but i really want to put money into my cb because i just love the car. any one else who had this problem with their parents and could just share some stories or some experiences where they got their parents to give in and just let you have the green light?

why you need their permission to fix your car? is it with your money or your parent's money? I don't think any of us can help in either case.

Comment

dude
      im in the exact same position as you. Literally. Minus the car jacking shit. Too bad bout that bro

Ne ways, as far as convincing, either get a job, or just work at em slowly. Take baby steps. Its taken me a year to get my whole stereo system done. I might do an exhaust without telling them (got my autoshop at school)

Ne ways yeh, dw, take care of it like gold, and they'll realize how much you enjoy having it and might shed a new leaf
      ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

How old are you bro?
        One way they can "change" thier mind maybe is by showing them the members ride threads, let them see what a CB can do and look like with proper money invested.

I've been threw there, but show them and tell why you wanna doit.

Comment

i turn 18 next month and i do have a job haha and everything comes out of my wallet but they just think its a bad investment and that im wasting my money basically. but yeah im basically just working at it slowly and coincidence i might put in an exhuast without telling them too haha

Comment

Originally posted by 909_cb7 View Post
            i turn 18 next month and i do have a job haha and everything comes out of my wallet but they just think its a bad investment and that im wasting my money basically. but yeah im basically just working at it slowly and coincidence i might put in an exhuast without telling them too haha
            Just show them this website and the member's rides! I bet they'll get convinced with that!

Comment

Originally posted by pedroalcala View Post
              Just show them this website and the member's rides! I bet they'll get convinced with that!
              haha yeah i hope so, but i sort of have a bad feeling they'll get the wrong idea and it'll backfire haha they might not like what they see or tell me i wont ever get mine to look that nice haha

Comment

I was in the same boat pretty much (my mom was that way). I just started
                collecting parts without them knowing and telling them after I already
                bought/installed them, lol.

I don't see what the problem is if it is your money, you are soon to be an
                adult (18) so the responsiblity and money management should be on you.

Good luck friend.

Instagram: n_buttz

The Jeepster ____ The CB7 ____ The TE38 ____ The S13

Comment

It IS a bad investment. Cars are absolutely terrible investments, unless they're classic restorations that can be sold for $80,000 or more.

It's not an investment. It's a hobby. It's putting your time and money into somethng that you enjoy. Just like going to concerts, sports events, and amusement parks are things you spend money on for enjoyment. But unlike those things, you'll wake up tomorrow and your car will still be there... with the things you spent money on the day before still there for you to enjoy.

With the money I've spent on my car (which is still far from complete, and sitting undriven in my driveway for the past year and a half), I could've paid 1/3 of my mortgage off. This site itself has cost me probably another $5000 over the years. A bad investment? Perhaps (well, I don't feel the site is...) But I still say it's worth it. It's something I enjoy, and my enjoyment is worth that expense.

Comment

I too have put quite the investment into my car. Thats just part of the hobby. "Gotta pay to play" they always say.
                    If it's your car and you paid for it, then there really isnt anything they can do. If they bought it or paid for it, or it somehoe still belongs to them, then ican see their concern. If you do any mods, make them tasteful and functional. A new stereo would go in that category. A wing or fart can, would not, lol.

Just remember; Hobbies cost money. Interests are free.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

ah, I remember being in your boat.

When I was 17 my dad bought me a beautiful 87 Celica GTS. I started to fix it up a little bit and my parents frowned upon me spending money on it cuz it was stupid and a waste of money.

7 years later, I live half way across the country, I have projects, I have a couple vehicles and they're still telling me I waste time and money on all these stupid vehicles.

Okay....so, do you want me to do something I enjoy, or should I just take up doing meth?

Even after I had spent 2 years building a bad ass Mazda B2200 and feeling very content with myself, my parents never supported me one bit of the way. I didn't even get a congratulations or anything even when I had my truck printed in an issue of Minitruckin Magazine.

I'd just tell your parents it's your money and your car and you're going to do what you want with it. They can't control you forever. Now if the car is registered or insured under their name, then maybe I can understand them having an issue with you wanting to modify it, but my parents always registered and insured mine, but I paid for everything. So, just do it. That's all I did. Too bad if they don't like it. Tell them to find you a nice hobby like scrapbooking or something lol.
                      Last edited by crazymikey; 01-28-2010, 12:00 AM.

Comment

ha dude i know what thats like im 18 and have had a hell of a time trying to get my floks to let me do shit to the car but just sit down with them talk tell how much it meas to you. tell them its a learning thing just stat with stuff that you can take from one car to the next at 1st and just go from there

The Race Car

Comment

if you think convincing your parents is hard wait till you get married
                          needing a new project got rid of bagged S10 going back to Honda's

Comment

Parents saying "the money you put in that ol' thing is money wasted away towards a new car" ?

Well, it's true.

I think it depends on what you're spending it on. Some thing are pointless, some aren't. If you know you're selling the car a few years down the road. Then STOP ! Upgrading parts is OK. Get some fogs, newer speakers, optima battery, some performance parts. Take care of it, but don't buy a rare flush-mount, a bad-ass subwoofer+ amp, seat covers, rims,... cosmetics stuff. Those things aren't needed.

I spent ALOT of money on my car. I sold it a few months back. And it was probably the best day of my life. I realized how much money was going in to it (thinking back, there were some stuff I wish I haven't bought). I still have old parts in my garage that were never installed. Ever since then, I have been able to focus on saving up ,...RAPIDLY !

The money I put out vs how much I got back selling it ? Yeah, it bit me in the ass. I knew it too. I guess if you're a hobbyist, you just cant help that it's a drug.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                            -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

My parents hate the idea of me putting money into my car as well. I get shit about it constantly, and they didn't want me doing it at first, but you want to know what I did? I just started ordering my parts without telling them, and I figured I'd take the heat when they arrived in the mail. Then before you know it, they gave up and didn't care anymore. The car is the only constructive thing I have in my life right now, so I need it. Now I've got about 8 grand into the CB now in restoring suspension, modifications, my swap engine and transmission, etc. I spent a lot on this car, and you know what, I'm damn proud of it.
                              R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Working...
                              X