Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

When is it time to get rid of the cb7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is it time to get rid of the cb7?

So my parents had an accident with the cb7.. this car has been in my family since new.

No insurance, so we had it fixed. Got it back, took it for a test spin and it broke down.

This time the engine. The car has about 208k miles.

My dad has a new (used salvage) engine put in, and now im just waiting for the car.

So my idea is that perhaps its done for. But he is holding on to his guns. Im sure everyone has been in this predictament. The car is almost 20 years old. And worth about 500$ dollars. The initial repair bill for 1200$ after the accident was justifiable because a new car is still more expensive, and a used car you just dont know where its been and how it has been taken cared of.

Now he puts in a used engine.. and i ask.. Isnt it the same as buying a used car you dont know the history?

What do you guys think? I love the car.. but think its time to move on and buy a yaris or something cheap.

Convince me

age clearly has nothing to do with the car...look at how many members have cb's....

cb7>yaris

hopefully you will make the right decision
    to achieve a Fuck, you must first give a Fuck
    Follow me on twitter @tru_whitetrash

Comment

Going to yaris from a perfectly good, reliable and tunable car (CB7) is a downgrade.....get yourself another CB7 or swap the engine....get an h22a....

Comment

It depends on what the car looks like, and what else is wrong with it.

I am a huge fan of buying inexpensive used cars so I can tear into them and replace everything I can to breathe new life into the car. I like pulling the engines and changing all the seals, water pump, timing belt, engine mounts, clutch, axles, etc. Then I replace ball joints and tierods. That way my maintenance records start fresh and I won't have to deal with any/many issues once it's all back up and running. I did this with my Prelude, 240SX, and now Accord.

I even like taking out the interior to clean it up.

This is all advice assuming you can do most/all the work yourself.

I like old cars mainly because of the easy of fixing things and don't have the newer technology that causes problems when they age.

If you were to say you are considering getting rid of your Accord for a new car, I would say go for it. However, if you are saying you plan to get rid of it to get another used car, I would say weigh your options. Buying a used car can be tricky. SOOOO much unknown. At least you know what's wrong with your current car.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm about to go on my 3rd engine, and I've had the car for almost 4 years. My 1st one had 209k and the thermostat stuck shut, and blew the head gasket, cracked the block. Although I've done quite a few things to the car, I knew it wasn't ready to go yet. This 2nd one just blew 2 Sundays ago. I think my oil pump failed, valves torn to hell.. threw a rod.. big puff of smoke.. hole out the site of the block. Oil and Anti-freeze, on the ground. Everyone says.."man, get rid of that car and get something else". I say, no. I do have a 95' Neon I'm driving at the moment, but it's not a cb7. Just doesn't feel right.

The body has 262k on it now, and I won't settle for getting rid of it. It's gonna sit until March, and I'll be putting this engine in myself. Why? Because the more I do to this car, the more I get attached. Keep it, treat it good, maintenance it, and fix it when it's crying for help. Make it a hobby. All of these people on this site have.

You know damn well you can't come on this site and have people agree with you wanting to get rid of your car for something else.
          98' Mustang 3V Swap
          11' VW CC R36

Comment

shit man, id get the yaris because it will be trouble free. after going through your 3rd ICM and 2nd engine it starts geting old.

plus, i need a hatch for work. i cant carry anything bigger than a honda motor in the back and i transport a lot of motors.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Well seeing as how you bought the car new and know the history of the car and yet it still needs an engine replaced...

Its time to get rid of a car when its time to move on.

I bought a few engines before, best to get one with warranty.

Comment

Its never time to get rid of a cb7 unless your replaceing it with a better cleaner cb7!
                Blake.
                1994 Accord Part out!
                Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

I bought my car for $1200. I have replaced all the brakes, completely redone the suspension down to the bushings, rust was repaired by the PO, I have done a few things with the appearance and the interior, and I am in the process of doing an engine and transmission swap including mounts, and a full rebuild of the new motor with new gaskets and seals, etc. Not to mention the aftermarket parts going into the engine.

I have alot more than you into the CB, and I will probably never sell it. I definitely wouldn't trade it for a fucking Yaris.

Moral of the story, there is never a time to get rid of the CB7.
                  R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

you can fix it for much less than a new car, although a new car will be much safer and reliable. i you do get a new car, you dont have to get rid of the cb, you can just make it a project car.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

IF you do get a new car, do not make it a yaris!!!

CB7's are fun to fix up. You dont have all the complications of a new car where you have to remove a whole bunch of stuff to replace something. And plus, they are fun to drive.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                      Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
                      Originally posted by bmxicansd
                      so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

you can get rid of your cb when deev bans you for life

Comment

I think it comes down to the quality of the used engine installation and condition of the engine. If it all works and runs well, then it is obviously the cheaper route.

If this used engine installation has caused all sorts of new problems, then perhaps move on. However, it sucks that money was already spent on a used engine installation and if it is not working right, as you can not sell it for much.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

FYI, 208K miles is not much for a Honda, especially these CB7s.

However, I have learned that in Michigan type weather, as they near 200K miles, the suspension bushings dry rot/crack and eventually you will have to start replacing them, especially lower shock mount bushings.
                            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                              FYI, 208K miles is not much for a Honda, especially these CB7s.

However, I have learned that in Michigan type weather, as they near 200K miles, the suspension bushings dry rot/crack and eventually you will have to start replacing them, especially lower shock mount bushings.
                              In michigan, at 200k, the bushings get so worn theyre almost worthless. lol
                              R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Working...
                              X