Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New Car: WRX - Si - Mazdaspeed - Cobalt SS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Car: WRX - Si - Mazdaspeed - Cobalt SS

Just looking for some other opinions on these 4 cars. I have an in with the dealerships so I can get any of them at cost. I'll be buying in the spring, new.

Si - I like the look the best, and it will probably be the most reliable. I'd do the blue coupe w/ the lip kit. Interior is nice.

WRX - Not a big fan of hatchbacks, doesn't look to sporty. AWD/Turbo is cool but it'll cost more in gas/insurance. Interior is nice.

Mazdaspeed - Don't like the look a whole lot but it has the coolest features. 10 speaker bose kit, navigation, push button start etc all for 1k. FWD/Turbo but mazda is new with turbos and I don't know how reliable it will be. The interior is sick.

Cobalt SS - Turbo/FWD, seems to be the fastest of the 4. Haven't looked too much into them yet but they seem pretty cool.

Lmk what you guys think.
    Civic Si
    35.19%
    Mazdaspeed
    20.37%
    WRX
    38.89%
    Cobalt SS
    5.56%

the new cobalt would be my pick. its the car to beat out of all of those IMO.

and i don't like chevy at all, but they did something right with that car. it'll handle and be quick in the straights.

Comment

Are we talking about just the regular WRX?

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Is it an EJ20 waggie you speak of? they're not bad at all. AWD, turbo, plus perfect overall sleeper

Otherwise, the I would stick with the Si. I'm biased, I don't really like Chevrolet at all namely the Cobalts, and I've got a buddy who has a MS3, and he likes it but it's starting to develop electrical problems already, and he's had it less than a year.

...Butttt, that's just me. Let us know come spring what you end up choosing

life is good.

Comment

I would go with MS3 or Si. I LOVE my Si.

The Si will probably be cheaper.

Also, not sure where you got your info, but Mazda is NOT new to turbos. They have had very many boosted cars in the past.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I'm talking about the base WRX impreza, not the sti. It's good to know that mazda isn't new to turbos. It just seems every good thing I here about mazda is counter acted by two bad things. The cobalt actually seems pretty cool, 4 piston brembos are a nice feature and there is a factory turbo upgrade option for 290hp/340lb torque.. sick....

Comment

Si is decent, good handling, but good ride as well. 30+ MPG is good too. My buddy has one for a DD and loves it. I have driven it on several occasions.

I really don't like the WRX. From what I hear it rides hard like a track car, 20 or less MPG. Not good for a DD.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Mazda new with turbos? Please...

Mazda has had PLENTY of boosted 4 cylinders in their history. If anything, GM is the company I'd be wary of. They DO have a good deal of turbo experience, but the only turbo motor from GM that ever got any significant praise was the V6 in the Grand National (and other cars that used a similar motor...)
                I drove 2 Mazda 3s from the last generation. A base model automatic for a full day, and the 2.3 around the block. Both were nice. Comfortable. Handled VERY well. Almost pulled me away from the Honda camp when I was shopping for a new car. Almost. I never drove the Mazdaspeed 3, but I'd assume it'd take all the good of the lower models and multiply it. Mazda knows sporty, and they do it well. Of all the turbo options, the Mazda would probably be the most reliable.

The new WRX is supposed to be quicker than the STi. They look cool, I think. Subaru makes good cars. My mom just got an 05 Outback, which is nice. I've driven my friend's 06 STi, and that was a blast as well. You're right, though... the AWD isn't going to be good for gas mileage. It also provides more parts (and more expensive parts) to break. Furthermore, not every mechanic is as comfortable working on boxer motors as they are inline and V motors. You'd need to be careful who you went to.

The Si probably WOULD be the most reliable and efficient, if anything, just due to the lack of turbo. That is, unless you rev it to the moon every day! They're nice cars, very well made, and reasonably quick. They don't inspire me, though. It's a reasonable, rational choice...

The Cobalt... it's very quick. It handles very well. At least from all I've read about it.
                However, it's a Cobalt. It's a Chevy. They're supposedly turning themselves around, and making great cars... but I'd still be wary. GM has to prove themselves once again. ESPECIALLY with a tricked out sport compact. You can feel pretty confident in shelling out top dollar for a Corvette or CTS-V... but those are cars that are already expected to be made with a degree of quality. The Cobalt is the bottom of the barrel shitbox from a company that has perfected the art of scraping the bottom of the barrel! I'd love to drive one... but you'll never see a title for a Cobalt SS with my name on it.

Given the choice, I'd be torn between the Mazda and the Subaru. I'd probably go for the Subaru, since I've had nothing but FWD cars for the longest time, and a change would be nice!

Comment

I would get a lancer ralliart over all of these cars. The mazdaspeed 3 gets my vote though.

Comment

I voted the WRX, but why not go all out and get an STi? I'm currently looking for a Subie, might be a 05+ Legacy or a 04+ STI. I'm also considering an EVO 8+ because like stated before, boxer engines are bitch to maintain/ modify and I live in Florida, so I could go with a less "raw" suspension since the roads here are relatively smooth.

I'm very vague on this, but I have read (iwsti & nasioc) a lot of problems dealing with the piston rings wearing out very quickly (within the first thousands of miles) if the motor isn't broken in properly. Then again, those were stories relating to the 07+ STI's and not WRX"S, also the cars in this case were modified (tuned with COBB) and was not covered by Subaru despite being well under the warranty expiration date/ mileage.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

i voted for the mazdaspeed 3, but i didnt notice the wrx on the list. it really is a toss-up between those 2 IMO. when i sold mazdas, i'd use any excuse to hop in a speed3 just to feel the boost build. it is way faster in a straight line than the rx-8.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by MyCord View Post
                        I'm talking about the base WRX impreza, not the sti. It's good to know that mazda isn't new to turbos. It just seems every good thing I here about mazda is counter acted by two bad things. The cobalt actually seems pretty cool, 4 piston brembos are a nice feature and there is a factory turbo upgrade option for 290hp/340lb torque.. sick....
                        Also, just FYI, there is something you need to be aware of on both the Mazda and the Cobalt.

Direct Fuel Injection has MAJOR durability issues. Right now, VW, who was among the first to introduce it is having MAJOR issues with it.

In addition to having injector problems because of the temperatures and pressures in the combustion chamber, they are also have SEVERE problems with carbon and oil residue buildup on the backs of the intake valves due to PCV and EGR. Since there is no constant fuel spray to clean those deposits off, they are hardening and causing major issues. In a few years time, I suspect the Mazdas and Cobalts will be having the same issues, as well as any other DI engine for that matter.

There have also been fairly widespread issues with the fuel pumps since they run at such high pressures. BMW is having major issues with that right now.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1414333

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...int&id=4397707

There is a lot of tangible merit to DFI, but frankly, there are some HUGE hurdles that have not been solved yet. The closest system currently on the market looks to be Lexus's dual use of port injection and direct injection, although it is unclear whether it will have long term issues or not. Just something to keep in mind, because you WILL have to deal with it.

People give Honda shit for "losing their edge" in terms of engine tech, but the truth is they were in the first 3 companies to have a DI engine on the market, but chose to remove it. I later read something that said they were having durability issues with it, and I am guessing this was part of the problem.

Also, DI only works completely as promised when you can run in ultra lean burn mode where A:F ratios can approach 50:1. Since the US has shitty gas and strict NOx emmissions standards, they can't really run in lean burn mode here in the states which really reduces the MPG gains the technology promised.

Comment

I would make sure, if you do consider the new WRX...the one w/ 265hp...that the engine's been taken care of. Look at the issues they've had (rod knock?), some w/ less than 2k miles on em'...thats unacceptable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSXQ1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufxh6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvxaR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSOu...eature=related

They got some esplaining to do. After seeing that happen, idk if I'd want to consider those

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            The Si probably WOULD be the most reliable and efficient, if anything, just due to the lack of turbo. That is, unless you rev it to the moon every day! They're nice cars, very well made, and reasonably quick. They don't inspire me, though. It's a reasonable, rational choice...
                            I felt the same way until I drove one. Also, the K20 is structurally sound until about 9500RPM in the bottom end. 8K all day isn't going to hurt it. It's a Honda. It isn't going to last any less that the boosted options on the list, I can just about guarantee that. It also doesn't have FRM sleeves so oil consumption over time will be lower.

It is fun to drive with the LSD, which not all the others have standard, it is light, nimble and has super quick and responsive steering. With the summer tire option (like $200 more) it will probably handle as well as the others, and ultimately, it isn't much slower. With bolt ons, it could be as quick. The Subie is most likely faster regardless, but the MS3 and Cobalt are too traction limited.

Comment

well i'd go how long you planning on having the cars? will yu be doing payments for 5+ years?

i'd start SI honda have the reliably down maybe the slowest but reliably milage which will be handy when gas prces spike again.

next down is wrc then mazdaspeed3. last would be the ss which may be the fastest but i highly dount the longest lasting of all the cars listed.

if you are planning on keeping the car for a few years by means get the ss. lol
                              1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Working...
                              X