Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tutorials on learning how to paint your own car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorials on learning how to paint your own car?

Hey guys, I drive a 1993 Honda Accord LX Sedan with an H22a swap. I just recently got into an accident and the body shop is charging me a shit load just to ask them that while they're at it on fixing the damage if they can repaint the car for a small discount. We said "Come on $500 atleast" the guy said "What do you think we are, your friends?" and my dad said "Fuck you!" haha. Okay back on subject. Is there sites or tutorial's where you can learn how to paint your own car? I know its all about practicing and all that, so I would like to learn how to :P I mean $2000 for a paint job seems a lil much. All replies are appreciated!

new $10 purple/yellow tint fog lights

H22a Sleeper:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=124470

as people are gonna say "you have to pay to play" if you want a decent paint job then $1500+ usually is about right as for a diy best way is look up how to and trial and error the only way to learn lol good luck with the paint and keep it clean

^^MY OLD RIDE
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3052591 <<**CURRENT DA9 BUILD**

Comment

Like 1badacc said, trial and error is definitely the way it will go.

You might consider the materials involved in a quality job before you jump into it. You will need to either buy or borrow:
      1. Air compressor
      2. Spray gun
      3. Air dryer (so you don't have moisture problems)
      4. Paint (probably the most expensive thing, basecoat + clear)
      5. Masking materials
      6. Prepping materials
      6a. Ideally, a D/A Sander (air powered)
      6b. Sanding discs for the sander, varying grits
      6c. Prepsol
      6d. Paint thinner for wiping down
      6e. Cheesecloth for final wipe down
      7. A reasonably clean and protected area to do the actual painting (obviously you aren't going to have a booth, although you can rent time in them for best results, which will also give you a compressor)
      8. Prepwork
      9. Prepwork
      10. Prepwork

If you have to buy everything, $2000 really isn't that bad. Keep in mind, you really aren't paying for materials, most of it is preparation (sanding, smoothing, etc).

I'd say go for it. It's fun.

One alternative you might consider, if you have a local community college that offers it, you might look into taking an autobody refinishing class. My local CC has it, and you can work on your own car. They will also go over dent pulling/bondo work too, and will probably have almost everything you will need. You'd still need to buy paint and maybe sand paper, though.
      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by benji View Post
        One alternative you might consider, if you have a local community college that offers it, you might look into taking an autobody refinishing class. My local CC has it, and you can work on your own car. They will also go over dent pulling/bondo work too, and will probably have almost everything you will need. You'd still need to buy paint and maybe sand paper, though.
        That's some pretty good advice, I'm going to have to look into that one. If I get this CB9 I'mlooking at, it's definitely going to need paint.This might be the best DIY way to go, expecially sinceI live in an apartment, and I'm pretty sure they frown upon painting a car in the parking lot.....
        2000 Acura TL-P - Daily
        1993 Honda Accord SE - Sold
        1996 Infiniti J30 - Sold
        1997 Honda Civic EX - Sold
        1996 Saturn SL2 - Totalled
        1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD - Sold
        1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D - Totalled

Comment

Originally posted by Houston93CB7SE View Post
          That's some pretty good advice, I'm going to have to look into that one. If I get this CB9 I'mlooking at, it's definitely going to need paint.This might be the best DIY way to go, expecially sinceI live in an apartment, and I'm pretty sure they frown upon painting a car in the parking lot.....
          Lol, yeah, they might not go for that.

Comment

Even if it was ok, it's always waaayy too dusty here haha. I just need to make friends with someone that has access to a paint booth.
            2000 Acura TL-P - Daily
            1993 Honda Accord SE - Sold
            1996 Infiniti J30 - Sold
            1997 Honda Civic EX - Sold
            1996 Saturn SL2 - Totalled
            1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD - Sold
            1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D - Totalled

Comment

Thanks for all of your input. Hmmmm...just for the near future, I think I might go ahead and get some of the material's I don't already have, which would probably just be the supplies, I have an air compressor and a spray gun, But I will probably need a sander and Prepsol and cloth's to do a final wipe and lets not forget the paint haha. I hear ya on the paint booth thing, worse comes to worse I'll just paint it in my garage at my townhouse.

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_H22_SLEEPER View Post
                Thanks for all of your input. Hmmmm...just for the near future, I think I might go ahead and get some of the material's I don't already have, which would probably just be the supplies, I have an air compressor and a spray gun, But I will probably need a sander and Prepsol and cloth's to do a final wipe and lets not forget the paint haha. I hear ya on the paint booth thing, worse comes to worse I'll just paint it in my garage at my townhouse.
                You don't absolutely need a paint booth, it's just nice. If you can't get one, you are going to have problems with overspray and dust settling on your nice new paint job. It's not a big deal for the first few coats because you are going to sand them a little before the next coat, but when you come to the end and are doing clear you are going to be fighting it.

Comment

maako...macko...whatever...paint jobs are cheaper like...800? but...they are cheap...I hear they chip supper easy.

I once got an offer for 3 base coats and one clear plus misc dent pulls for 800...nice local guy in town...didn't know him at all. That was maybe 5 years ago though.
                  ____

Comment

im going to make a diy about this today. theres so many threads about this.
                    miss my turbo cb7
                    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93 View Post
                      im going to make a diy about this today. theres so many threads about this.
                      THANK YOU!!!!!

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                        maako...macko...whatever...paint jobs are cheaper like...800? but...they are cheap...I hear they chip supper easy.

I once got an offer for 3 base coats and one clear plus misc dent pulls for 800...nice local guy in town...didn't know him at all. That was maybe 5 years ago though.
                        i wouldnt say that much it really depends on the location since they are all owned by diff people some are better than others but if you pay for a $300 paint job then expect a $300 paint job they always overspray over near me and never prep right

^^MY OLD RIDE
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3052591 <<**CURRENT DA9 BUILD**

Comment

Working...
                        X