Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Dremel How-To...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dremel How-To...?

Ok, I'll admit, I'm not a seasoned pro when it comes to using a dremel. In fact if i think about it hard enough, i dont think ive ever even used one. Ive seen them, i know what they can do and are generally used for, but Im not sure what to look for in purchasing/owning one.

Ive seen them at Wal-Mart, but i have a feeling places like Lowes and Home Depot would be better suited.

My main question is, whats a good package or "first-time" combo to pick up?

I imagine they can be purchased, "dremel-only" but Id think theyd sell packs that contain dremel + heads/wheels. And also heads, wheels and bits by themselves.

Any tips as to what heads to look for or what kind are "the best" to use?

This was about the most helpful tip i could find:
    Originally posted by cp[mike]
    i installed sidemarkers with a dremel. i made a cardboard template, lined it up then traced it onto the fender with a pencil. to actually cut it out, i used the heaviest cutting discs that i could find, the black ones. they broke every so often, but i had a small container full of them so i didnt run out. used the cutting discs to get the general shape, then used the sanding wheel, which is just sandpaper wrapped around a cylinder, and i grinded down the edges till i got the general shape. then i kept test fitting, grinding, testing, till they popped in and stayed well. i deburred the edges with a file, then used touch up paint to cover over the bare metal.
    I know they come in handy for polishing and sanding things and also maybe even cutting, but what else can you use a dremel for?

Dremel's also come in differnet sizes and power brackets. Any tips as to what size is the most efficient or "handy"?

Im just trying to get something out there, not only for myself, but maybe for the other members and newbs who are in the same boat as me.

Eventually, be it polishing, sanding or cutting(especially for Sidemarkers install) a dremel tool can/will come in handy. So we might as well learn.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

a dremel is a good tool for detailed work. many of the things i do wouldn't be possible without my dremel. i would get the basic kit and just buy what you need as you go, because they have so many kits and accesories for it and it really depends on what you are going to use it for. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

i love my dremmel.
      i did my fog and sidemarkers with them.
      i got that e-z-wheel for cutting its great.

one of my favorite tools and they have so many acesseries/parts

just go to lowes and buy one. thats where i found the best selection.
      FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
      My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

Is mike correct in that, the black wheels are best for cutting metal/fenders?

Installing sidemarkers and fogs is probably about the only time ill use it.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc

the cut off wheel on mine sucked. the broke in my hand.
          maybe they where old ?? or left out in the sun???

they have a adapter called e-z-lock with different kinda of cutting wheels.(plastic,wood,metal,etc...)
          i think i used one for both side. there strong dont break easy, just wear down smaller and smaller till nothing.

this-
          http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ476-2.../dp/B000FBLRW4
          Last edited by smokeeey420; 05-29-2008, 11:45 PM.
          FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
          My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

i usually buy a pack of cut off wheels when i go to wal mart. my dremel is also from walmart. just make sure when u buy one it has adjustable speeds.
            la passion de la moto <3

the spoiled girlfriend wants rims!

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc

Yeah. They are called "reinforced cutting wheels" or "reinforced cut off wheels."
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I see...

Ok. When i pick one up, ill look for one with some different heads, and ill pick up a af ew packs of the black cut off wheels.

Comment

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...90129&D=dremel

This is the one I have Mike. I bought it right before last Christmas. It was on sale for $65 so I got it for a steal.

I find myself using the lawn mower sharpener tool and the flex shaft is nice for cleaning in small areas, like intake manifolds. I've gone through a bunch of the grinding stones between cleaning my many IM's and sharpening lawn mower blades.

I have used the reinforced cutoff wheels for cutting off rusted bolts on a buddy's old jeep. Works like a charm and much easier to use instead of heating up the bolts and breaking them off. lol

There are attachments available for just about anything you can dream up. I have also used mine to cut floor and wall tiles when my parents were remodeling their bathroom.

I would definatly recommend the speed control dial, makes it easy to find and adjust to the right speed without having to start and stop, also the Flex-shaft is easy to use when you are working in tight spaces where the actual dremel may not be able to fit.
                  Last edited by MadSpleen85; 05-30-2008, 02:00 AM.

Comment

learn when to break out the angle grinder for bigger jobs...

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

i installed a turbo kit, drilled out manifolds, made custom charge piping...all with a dremel

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                      11.68 @ 127mph
                      417whp/375wtq
                      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

I work at lowes and right now you can get the only one that works with the attachments(aka the cutting wheel, the grinder, the grout tool ect.) for 89 bucks and it comes with the flex shaft.
                        F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
                        My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
                        Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                          i installed a turbo kit, drilled out manifolds, made custom charge piping...all with a dremel
                          you need a reciprocating saw my friend.

but i have a dremel, angle grinder and a cordless reciprocating saw for cutting off catalytic converters.
                          it all comes to use.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I once cut off a muffler with a hack saw..

I didnt look too much cuz i was kinda in a hurry, but while i was at Lowes the other day i did see a dremel for $69.xx. Wasnt sure what all it came with, but it did have a speed adjuster dial. Im gonna try to get some pics Tuesday, so maybe while im out, ill hit up Lowes and/or Home Depot and just "Man around" and see what i can find.

A dremel's a good start. Id like to eventually own that and a reciprocating saw.

Comment

Working...
                            X