Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My Ride: Samantha...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ride: Samantha...

I bought a 1992 EX Sedan manual and named her Samantha (at least for now)...

From my bedroom window:

Front:

Rear:

Drivers side rust:

Passengers side rust:

Inside front:

Inside rear:

April 2008
    - 04/21: purchased for $575 (the find is a crazy story).
    - the delivery is a very crazy story also
    - it is that funny dusty rose color w/ burgundy interior
    - 1st problem I noticed is that one of the belts squealed on startup
    - 2nd problem I noticed was that it smoked a lot (exhaust)
    - 3rd problem I noticed was that there was a strong fuel odor whenever I let the car idle (like warm up in the AM, or anytime for that matter)
    - 4th problem I noticed is that strangely, the drivers seat doesnt seem to pull very close to the wheel. When adjusted fully forward I am close enough to work the pedals, but not close enough to be comfortable. I find this strange because I figure that Asians on the average are thought to be shorter than the average westerner, so how could they make the front seat uncomfortable for a person that is 6'9"??
    - I had my mechanic do an oil change the very next day after getting my new tags...
    - the oil was black when it drained
    - the fresh oil, when we checked the dipstick after having refilled the motor...was black
    - drivers window goes only halfway down, and goes crooked when going back up
    - passenger rear window leaves 3/8" gap when closed
    - Why the #@!$ don't the drivers seat go all the way forward?
    - one day the car wouldn't start, so had to replace the battery (now using DieHard)
    - I have an issue with being able to see clearly out of my windows, so I bought new wipers and filled the washer fluid bottle with Rain X stuff (turned out to be their winter formula, which for some reason sucks in the summer)
    - bought xenon bulbs for the high beams, cause the yellowish glow of halogen sucks (beautiful...I find it hard not to use the high beams)
    - I also notice that I get no dome light and no warning chimes when the driver's door opens either with the key in the ignition or with the lights on, I figure that something is broken somewhere, but that I can live with it
    - I am in heaven though because I always loved the CB7 body, it's manual tranny, and full of power options including sunroof. It also rides nice and smooth...tracks straight, and everything that counts works.

May 2008
    - while speaking to my mechanic's sons, I hear that the H22 is a popular swap (the dream begins!)
    - one morning while driving I heard a small clunk followed by a terribly loud sound that changed with the amount of gas I gave it. More gas = more noise (!?!)
    - I stopped at a local mechanic (was out of town), and found that my cat had broken off from the exhaust (I am hating this right about now)...
    - I gave the mechanic $12 (all I had on me) to cut it free...had my mechanic put on a new one the next AM
    - toyed with the idea of doing a full cat-back system, but decided to go with just replacing the cat
    - I noticed that occasionally the throttle seemed to get stuck, and wouldn't go down unless I stomped on it.
    - I found that the valve in the throttle body was getting stuck everytime it slammed closed. So one day I took off the throttle body, cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. It was still happening so my brother adjusted the throttle cable so there was less play, and even when let go, that valve in the throttle body does not get stuck anymore
    - the first week of May was spent replacing several small coolant lines that seemed to go one at a time
    - a few nights that week I came home overheating...I refused to leave my new toy on the side of the road.
    - I gave in and bought a few feet of appropriately sized fuel line from NAPA, so that I could at least be prepared for the next break (this turned out to be a great idea)
    - I also bought a lower radiator hose because the one in there was too soft (figured it was next to go)
    - also noticed that the temp needle seemed to go up and down constantly (??), and the heat only worked when the needle showed normal running temp
    - my brother swears it's a bad thermostat, but I'm not convinced
    - one day my cousin and I open the driver's door to investigate the window issue because he swears the window is just 'off the track', and since he works in a body shop I figure he knows what he's talking about. Plus if he fixes it, that's another annoyance resolved w/out spending a dime...
    - he can't fix it, and we broke the interior handle (the plastic part), while trying to remove the panel...this was before taking a trip to Pep Boys to figure out how to open the panel w/out breaking anything...
    - so I bought the Haynes manual (which I hate by the way), and made sure that we did not break anything else while putting the panel back.
    - one day I strangely noticed that the oil was gone...since it was changed on 04/22, I hadn't bothered to check it.
    - bought a nice Pioneer radio second-hand since the car has a gaping hole in the dash where a radio should be, and only Pioneer should ever be in ANY cars dash (flame if you want...its true!)
    - attempted the install on my own, and although my wiring is 100%, the radio does nothing when connected
    - called an old buddy of mine that used to own his own sound and security place
    - he no longer owns the shop, but still does some sales an installs for himself and works at Circuit City full time
    - met up with him at a bar one night to drink, tell lies, and install my "new" radio...
    - everytime the radio is plugged in a fuse blows, and we eventually figure out that the radio itself is burned out. This really sucks because:
    - the second week in May, I drove to GA to visit family, and bring my son back to NY for the summer...
    - I brought the replacement lower radiator hose and some appropriate tools with me...JUST IN CASE
    - I burned more oil and coolant on this trip than I did gas!!
    - I went through three 5 quart drums of oil (Super Tech brand from Walmart), but fortunately there is a Walmart at like every exit on the interstate
    - It is a miracle that I made it to GA. So I do an oil change as a sign of thanks to the Interstate Gods, and do very little driving while I am there.
    - on my way back, I did my usual Walmart stops and in Maryland decided to return the $40 dollar ramps that I bought in GA, since I only needed them for the oil change, and $40 will help me get back home (this is another funny story...left w/out ramps, and w/out the $40)
    - I also noticed that I also was constantly filling the radiator, but found no leaks
    - after getting back to NY, I visit my mechanic and tell him about the trip. After hearing him tell me how crazy I am, he tells me that I must have a head gasket leak and that I am crazy to take that trip with this car...(since driving it every day, I was convinced it was safe to drive and obviously I was not wrong)
    - I am still in heaven though because I have not owned a stick, or a car with a sunroof in approx 4 years. Plus everything that counts...works!
    Last edited by i_rebel; 09-25-2008, 11:35 PM.
    Ray
    1992 EX Sedan, Manual
    CB7Tuner Illuminati Member #: 18362

JGY Honda

well the color is rosewood, with the seat, i had a hole gang of pennies stuck in my sliders, check that lol, window is prolly off track, hope some of that helps, welcome to the family, and post up some pics, look at the stickies in the beginner section or ask for help if you aren't sure how to post them.

Comment

seems like you got alot of work to do welcome to CB7tuner.com we all welcome you with open arms here, you'll learna lot trust me....

Originally posted by deevergote
      .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

You obviously didn't get to test drive the car before buying I take it?I don't understand how people can do this.Well despite all the bad things, at least it was semi cheap...any rust?

Comment

Thanks guys for the support. I am learning to love this site. I have been through a few good cars, but nowhere have I found such good support online.

I am still learning my way around the forums though...
          Ray
          1992 EX Sedan, Manual

JGY Honda

Comment

yea if you have a cb7 this is the place you will love i get on here all the time now. Welcome and good luck fix the accord.

Comment

sounds like a great start man, welcome to the family.

btw, i had a girl named samantha once... good times.

Which leads me to believe youll have a good time with that car

Comment

flyinlow: I drove it and was happy with it. I gladly spent the $575, and still don't regret it.

It is okay for me to make this kind of a members ride thread right?

Pics are coming...
                Ray
                1992 EX Sedan, Manual

JGY Honda

Comment

Oh okay I just assumed since you said delivery that you bought it without driving my bad.I dont see why your thread would be a problem.

Comment

Woah that's a lot of write up. Anyway... Post some pictures too.
                    NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, and lets see some pics.

Originally posted by i_rebel
                      - so I bought the Haynes manual (which I hate by the way)
                      So do I, I cannot even begin to count the times that they left out little, but important, details.

Originally posted by i_rebel
                      It is okay for me to make this kind of a members ride thread right?
                      Yah it's fine, most people who are limited to the beginners section make a MR thread here. That's actually what I was expecting when I clicked on the link.
                      Originally posted by 92dm
                      I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
                      VOUCHES
                      Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

Originally posted by bluecb7 View Post
                        So do I, I cannot even begin to count the times that they left out little, but important, details.
                        That is so true. If it wasn't of that it would be more than good. Sometimes they also put pictures for the most obvious things while for the hardest part they just write some gibberish.
                        NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

I know exactly what you're talking about, that and when they make things seem so simple when it ends up being really hard. Like when my dad and I were replacing my blower motor, to get the fan wheels off the axles of the motor it said "remove the retaining clips and slide the wheels off," made it sound like they would slide right off. BS, those things had to have been pressed on, we ended up destroying both of the axles on the old motor and both retaing clip rings getting them on the new motor.

Sorry i_rebel for going completely off topic.
                          Originally posted by 92dm
                          I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
                          VOUCHES
                          Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

Originally posted by flyinlow View Post
                            You obviously didn't get to test drive the car before buying I take it?I don't understand how people can do this.Well despite all the bad things, at least it was semi cheap...any rust?
                            I DIDNT TEST DRIVE MY WHITE CB
                            USDM [H] PiMP

iP0P VTEC
                            WhiTE B0Y!!!

Comment

bump for a sexy cb7

Comment

Working...
                              X