Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear disc swap and bushings install, just did it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disc swap and bushings install, just did it!

Just finished my rear disc brake swap and rear poly bushings install and wanted to share my experience and pictures.

Here are the parts from the donor car, a 92 EX, $125!:

So first thing was first, getting everything cleaned up and this is what took the longest. Pulled everything apart and started grinding it all down and removing as much of the rust as possible.

Rotors after a quick hose down:

Left caliper after a few minutes with a die grinder (right caliper got the same treatment):

Next was installing the new bushings. With a great suggestion from rexload, I picked up a ball joint press and was able to push out the old ones and install the new ones like magic!

New poly bushings installed:

And while I was at it I replaced the old rubber boots on the upper control arm ball joint:

After I got those done I ran the new emergency brake lines and started installing the knuckle. After a few minutes of pulling, twisting and prying the awkward sob was installed!:

Then just like clockwork the splash shield, hub, rotors, calipers, and pads were all installed:

And just like everything else I do, I don't half ass it, so I also swapped out the 3030 prop valve with the appropriate 4040.
    And for those of you who don't know where the prop valve is located it's hidden underneath the master cylinder, here are a few pictures to help you locate it (I removed the master cylinder for easy viewing and installing).

Once I got the prop valve removed I compared it with the new 4040, you can see the difference in the mounting bracket (4040 on the left, 3030 on the right):

So next was swapping the brackets, but what is this?

A tamper proof torx screw? No problem! A T30H torx bit is the perfect size, so remember that for future reference. Once the screws were removed the prop valve comes apart so be careful! Inside are two springs (a large one and a small one), two washers, and a rubber seal, just make sure the mating surfaces are clean and the springs and washers are all in their place when you reassemble it. Also a quick note about reassembling the valve, the use of a bench vise is GREATLY recommended to press the two parts together so you can screw everything back together with ease.

Once the new 4040 was on the old bracket, reinstalled it and the master cylinder and bled the brakes.

So there you go, a great weekend project. Add a few days if you want to grind a bunch of rust and paint everything.

A quick list of everything I replaced/fixed during this whole adventure:
    Installed new upper and lower control arm bushings as well as new strut mount bushings
    Repacked hub bearings
    Install new boots, castle nuts, the works on the upper control arm/ball joint
    Ground down the rotors, hub, calipers, splash shield, and other miscellaneous parts/nuts/bolts
    Applied coatings/paint to everything imaginable to protect it from rust
    Rebuilt the calipers, installed new piston boots (biggest pain in the ass of the entire project)
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Nice write up, I'll be doing my rear disk swap real soon too. How is the difference in braking?

Comment

not very much you only use about 20% of the rear brakes anyways... but still i nice write up thoese bushing easy to install?? i installed my energy supenssion front master kit abd it was a pain in the ass.... for the rear i just ordered the megan toe and rear arms and a progress rear sway bar... about 350 dollars... i already had disk to start with though...

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
      Originally posted by deevergote.
      But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

I need to do my bushings too!

was it a pain to press in those bushings? or they just go right in easy?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=143599

Comment

nice writeup!
          Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
          -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Originally posted by Dajap View Post
            Nice write up, I'll be doing my rear disk swap real soon too. How is the difference in braking?
            Actually there is a noticeable difference, that and no more drum brake crap.

Comment

Originally posted by accord2nr81 View Post
              not very much you only use about 20% of the rear brakes anyways... but still i nice write up thoese bushing easy to install?? i installed my energy supenssion front master kit abd it was a pain in the ass.... for the rear i just ordered the megan toe and rear arms and a progress rear sway bar... about 350 dollars... i already had disk to start with though...
              The Prothane bushings were very easy to install. The lower control arm bushings actually consist of four pieces, an outer sleeve, an inner sleeve, and two poly inserts. You pull the bushing apart, press in the outer sleeve, hand press in the poly inserts, then the inner sleeve.

For the upper control arm/ball joint bushing, same deal. Remove the E clip from the bushing, remove the metal insert, remove the poly insert, push the metal sleeve in, reinstall the poly insert, reinstall the metal insert, reinstall the E clip.

All in all it was pretty easy as long as you have the right tool, i.e. this baby:

I just lined up the correct sized socket (I think I used a 24mm) and started cranking it and the old bushing popped right out. Took the new poly bushing's outer sleeve, lined it up, and pressed it in. Of course you make sure you press it in to the correct specs...

Comment

some day i'll get to do this nice job btw.
                Freedom Is Not Free
                U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

nice write up and very detailed
                  MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

Glad you all approve.
                    Originally posted by benjerman112 View Post
                    some day i'll get to do this nice job btw.
                    LOL, yeah I put it off long enough. I've had everything for several months, hence the snow on the ground in the first pic.

Comment

hows the ride with the bushings?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                      01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                      93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                      93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                        hows the ride with the bushings?
                        So far so good. No squeaking or harsher ride. I'm sure when I do the front bushings I'll notice a bigger difference.

I need to get some new struts, I noticed one was leaking when I did the swap, so thats on the list of stuff to get replaced... it's always something.

Comment

sick write up

R.I.P> Ronald Murphy the best dad ever in life. YOu will be missed.

Comment

thanks, that was very informative, I'm thinking of making the conversion soon, thanks agian
                            Amablejay

Comment

i have the master kit and now the press im ready to roll

Comment

Working...
                              X