Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Re: Car alarms...im so lost!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car alarms...im so lost!!

Hey guys, well due to this crazy increase of crime in Toronto, ive decided to upgrade my OEM Honda alarm to something more reliable...

Ive been taking a look at mainly Viper and Clifford alarm kits, and im at a loss. I need a basic 2-way paging system, no need for auto-start as she barely never see's rain nor snow.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments on either brand of alarms, or even a better company out there. Also, wheres the best place to perhaps mount the siren, and has anyone wired the alarm aux inputs to a trunk pop? Was installation on these alarms hard?

Thanks in advance

I got a viper 771 w/remote start option. i works great, plus you can expand on the system too.
    "Wise people treasure knowledge, but the babbling of a fool invites disaster" Proverbs 10:14

Comment

Yeah i was leaning towards a viper system as well, in their new line of systems they brought out a nice Viper 1002 version, but im still debating on whether or not to spend the extra cash and get an lcd version, whats the diff/reason for those besides an alert on whats triggered the alarm.

Comment

The LCD's are nice I guess, but just getting a pager is all you really need. Yeah, the LCD might show you whats being done to it, but it really doesnt matter since as soon as it starts beeping, you need to grab your weapon and get ready to mess someone up

The LCDs also suck batteries pretty quick. I would definately get a set of rechargeable batteries even if you just get the pager. But IMO, skip the LCD since its just more expensive to replace when it gets messed up, but the 2-way is worth it.

And going with one of the name brands is a good idea, anything from DEI or Clifford. But even with the top of the line security system, if you have a cheap install, its just as easy to get by as a wal-mart alarm. I usually have it wired up by the shop that I trust, then go back, and re-wire stuff so you cant see it at all, and hide everything. When wires that are obviously aftermarket, theives will just cut them, and usually it works.

Just my $0.02

Comment

The most critical part of ANY alarm is the installer.

Comment

Originally posted by aero
            The LCD's are nice I guess, but just getting a pager is all you really need. Yeah, the LCD might show you whats being done to it, but it really doesnt matter since as soon as it starts beeping, you need to grab your weapon and get ready to mess someone up

The LCDs also suck batteries pretty quick. I would definately get a set of rechargeable batteries even if you just get the pager. But IMO, skip the LCD since its just more expensive to replace when it gets messed up, but the 2-way is worth it.

And going with one of the name brands is a good idea, anything from DEI or Clifford. But even with the top of the line security system, if you have a cheap install, its just as easy to get by as a wal-mart alarm. I usually have it wired up by the shop that I trust, then go back, and re-wire stuff so you cant see it at all, and hide everything. When wires that are obviously aftermarket, theives will just cut them, and usually it works.

Just my $0.02
            c/s on the LCD remote, you don't need it unless you're a show off.
            "Wise people treasure knowledge, but the babbling of a fool invites disaster" Proverbs 10:14

Comment

i have a viper 5000. 2 way paging has helped me several times, from some fool trying to tow the car to some stupid kids sitting on it. dei (viper, clifford, hornet, python etc.) is the best brand out there period. get creative with siren hiding, more importantly take some time hide its wiring! it would be a good idea to get a 2nd siren and install it in the interior
              FA1

Comment

Yeah thanks for the info guys, ive pretty much narrowed it down to a clifford system. 'And i agree, its totally the installer that counts...thats where im kinda skeptical. I mean ive got all the knowledge i need to wire it correctly and etc.. but a part of me wants a pro installer to do it, but i dont want them to fuck up my wiring and then cause more problems down the road. I dont have an installer on audio/security as ive covered all that since i bought the cb7 in 91, with oldschool high end alpine products etc...

So i assume an LCD isnt that much of an asset or?

As for the siren, yeah i was looking at having 2, as well as setting up the horn honk. Ill be checking out an installer with a buddy of mine who got a viper installed in his 00' EK. The other thing, im not sure how it is in the states, but here in Toronto (from what ive seen today in my search for alarm installers/products) they charge u extra for installation of simple features such as lock/unlock, window roll ups, etc...

Comment

i also have the viper 5000 with the lcd to me that is a good thing
                  to have b/c when i got my windom shot out the lcd toll me what happen

Comment

i had the auto start one with lcd screen. batt life wasnt to bad. Now i have just a alarm. Wish i would of gotten the one with the 2 way pag.

Comment

Some good information in this thread guys. Thanks.

Comment

I just picked up the Clifford 50.5x. Love it so much i'm going to pick up the clifford 75.5x for my accord and mr2 just for the options. The viper and the cliffords are identical systems. The only difference is that the clifford has the auto start included. The lcd screen on a 2 way system are good to have cause you can see what zone is being set off. You should opt for an additional siren(outside) as well as a back up battery, a siren inside the car is always a plus. Of course find a reputable installer.
                        Carlos
                        My Members Ride Page

Comment

If the viper cost too much for you, Autopage is a good brand also. I have the 2 way pager model and I paid around 140 for the brand and 100 for install. I have no problems with it over a year now. Auto start works great. And battery life is Great. I only changed the battery once since I had it.

Comment

idk ... all i know is if u have shit on ur car that u plan on keeping put an alarm on that bish before its gone ... thieves here in sa are bad!

Comment

i have Viper systems 4 my TC and CB7....gotta love em.. i've had a viper alarm on my CB7 ever since i was 2 years old...haha...i eventually upgraded the system since it was getting old and it was screwing around with my start up cuz the ppl in best buy in 1992 jus twisted the wires together n put electiral tape...

"You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive."

Comment

Working...
                              X