Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

System questions/recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System questions/recommendations

Hello guys..I have a few questions i'm hoping i can get answered but first i'll give a lil background to make it easier if possible. BTW THIS WILL BE LONG WINDED !!!! LOL.

I'm spanking new to the audio world but i'm learning as I go along. I just purchased a pioneer deh-4900 deck, powering some polk 6.5 6501 components for the front and 6x9 691 for the rears. BTW, this is in a 92 camry ( i know it's not an accord but, i've been frequenting this site for a while and while i wanted an accord .. it just didn't pan out that way lol ). I'm trying to DIY on this project so I installed the deck myself ( pretty easy once i found the right friggin wires... long story ). I took a stab at the 6x9's and realized it doesn't exactly fit without some drilling of the rear pods ( i don't own one ) So, i went and tried the fronts with a friend... We got the speakers to fit as well as the tweeters in the stock pod location but couldn't understand how to hook up the crossover so we said screw it and left it out...needless to say it sounded like complete shit and distorted as hell. ( if laughter generates by reading that, please allow it to subside before continuing ) So.......I just went and got them installed by a shop.

I told them to put the tweeters in the stock door handle pods as i didn't want to put a hole in the A-pillar. I also have the crossover strapped to the door with some zip ties ( i live in phx arizona and i didn't think waterproofing it would be that necessary ). Also, i switched around the lil switch for the db .. it didn't really sound like it did much but ehh, maybe i need an amp to notice a diff...

Now...with this setup, my volume on the deck goes up to 62 max. However, i can only bring it up to around 40-50 the loudest before i start getting pretty noticeable distortion from the speakers. This is with my current settings of loudness set to MID, EQ set to MID 0. This is what i've found by playing with it that is the best i can get as far as a " full " sound at that volume level. If i turn any of the other settings up i get distortion. Now i understand that coaxials in the rear and comps in the front isn't a bass thumper but .. wtf ?

Comment/Question..

Am i doing something wrong ? or is this normal ? I would have guessed that with a deck that only puts out 22rms x4 to speakers that are able to handle 100rms i would be able to have the volume ALL the way up and not hear anything.. input is appreciated.

Comment/Question..

I do plan on getting a 4channel amp ( i'm currently looking at the kicker zx350 and mtx ta3404, tc4004, Hifonics txi4406 and a few others in the $130-180 range ). My guess is that with the amp, i won't have to run the volume up so high to hear it like i want thus defeating the distortion at high volume problem...Am i correct in this thinking ?

Comment/Question..

To round out the rest of my system I plan on getting a nice 12" sub, a mono to power it, and a 1.0 or 1.5 cap.

I was recommended the Alpine Type R in a ported box, if somone could explain the importance/difference between the Dual 4ohm voice coil and Dual 2ohm voice coil, ???? i'd be appreciative.

Last but not least i'm looking at a number of mono's to power that type R if i get it. I'm thinking kenwoods kac 8103D..500rms x2 2ohms and 1k watt max. Sound good ?

Any recommendations on anything i'm planning on getting will be GREATLY appreciated. Also, any help with any of my questions will be appreaciated as well. Thanks in advance.
    I love the bouncy...it's great...

Hey. Well didn't really feel like looking up all the products that u mentioned tonight but I will leave my 2 cents on a few things. Speakers should be fine. No they won't thump the bass but they shouldn't be toooo shabby if u remember they aren't a sub. The amp that is in your stereo isn't designed to put out a ton of power and drive speakers really hard. When you crank the volume up really loud the distortion may actually be coming from the stereo, not the speakers. If you get an external amp you should be able to turn the volume down on your headunit and send a cleaner signal to your amp which should be able to make more power without distorting your signal.

The voice coils on your subs are only for allowing you to wire them up differently. I could go into the wiring but its easier to just search some audio site for wiring digrams to see exaples of this. The idea behind it is more options and possibly more power by wiring it so that your amp "sees" lower ohm loads (keeping in mind the ohm stability of your amp).
    Hope this helps a little.
    Cant really say a lot about ur product choices cuz I haven't tired any of them personally.

Comment

Working...
    X