Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is a Sub really worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Sub really worth it?

Ok here I need your opinions...

I am planning to completely change my audio system in my car, But at the same time I dont want to spend 2 much $$$...

If I put some really good 6x9 speakers in the back and some really good 6.5 speakers in the front, will it satiate my sound needs or will I still need a sub???

Thanks guys...
    on gas pedal, IMHO my ride looks awesome altough its 100% stock, its cleanliness and its frost white color are the only mods I need....

Help me get a free xbox 360!!!!
    http://xbox360s.freepay.com/?r=31326965

thats up to you... 6x9's can put out some decent bass...all depends on your need

Comment

I got rid of my subs. Maybe 2 months later, no regrets, I'll never get subs again...

Get a 4ch amp, some CDT CL-69's for the back and any component set for the front. You have an EX? Trash the 4" speaker and get a spacer for a 6.5", Dynamat the front door and get a component set...

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Yeah If you just want a good full sound a good set all around with 6x9's in the back hooked up to a good amp will sound really nice. As my system was jacked a lil while back I currently have alpines all around with 6x9's in the back and an alpine 4ch amp and I'm very happy with it, although I will be getting a sub again later on. tis all personal taste though and what kind of music you like. Pretty much if you aren't into hip-hop or perhaps techno you probably won't care much for more than just a good speaker setup.
        My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Thanks guys, I like techno music, so A sub is probably not necessary, will the stock be able to handle the new speaker setup, or should I get like a 16 gauge wire set?
          on gas pedal, IMHO my ride looks awesome altough its 100% stock, its cleanliness and its frost white color are the only mods I need....

Comment

sub are more for bass
            maybe a tube would be better
            probally the 6x9 or small tweeters up near the cealing would be
            good for sound
            stock wires will handle them just not subs but a amp is ideal.
            Last edited by smokeeey420; 07-10-2006, 08:27 PM.
            FS: DSM turbo parts,OEM parts, and more.....
            My Members Ride Thread - R.i.P

Comment

This will sound weird, but the way I had my 12s setup, there wasn't that much more bass than with the 6x9s most of the time; it was just that when I wanted to be heard I'd crank it up and turn the bass up as well. The 6x9s don't get as loud but the frequency response is a lot more linear...they're arguably better for bass than the subs.

I listen to a lot of rap as well and it's still not that bad...just takes some getting used to.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

For a good all around system you WILL need a sub. Yes 6x9 can reproduce low bass notes but they cant get as low as a good sub would. If you want a balanced system also you will need the sub. Even if its a small 10" sub you will notice the difference rather than using the 6x9 alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                  For a good all around system you WILL need a sub. Yes 6x9 can reproduce low bass notes but they cant get as low as a good sub would. If you want a balanced system also you will need the sub. Even if its a small 10" sub you will notice the difference rather than using the 6x9 alone.
                  I'm telling you...one of these days I'll give you a demo. The SQ is shitty right now but it really sounds like I have a sub. In time I'll put it all together for real and it'll be phenomenal.

Down with subs!!!!

Comment

Ok,

I Just freshly installed some new 6x9 speakers, MTX thunder domes, with a rating of 100w RMS (costed me 225$ Can !!!) they are really good and from what Ive heard, but I had to screw in the pod plastic, cause the holes were too far appart, other than than I had no problems... But took me 1 1/2 hours, And a couple of well placed GODDAMMITS! (first time I have changed speakers myself !! WOOHOO!!)

One weird thing is that the f-ing huge magnet under the speakers are touching the trunk holder rods (you know, those black bars that cross in the middle that keep your trunk open ???) not even a sheet of paper would get in between, so is this a problem? should I file it a little?

Now there is a whole lot more vibration comming from the back, what can I do to remove all this???

Thanks....

Comment

you have to cut the tip of the trunk springs to make the speakers fit properly. Some speakers touch some dont. The vibration is probably from the trunk spring and the speaker hitting each other

Comment

yeah or wedge some scrap fabric from a ragpile or something in there. Kinda sucks if it's touching anyways tho...

As far as the subs vs 6x9's... with my type E (LOW end alpine 6x9's) and the amp it sounds somewhat like I have subs. Now I last had a 10" sub (large one at that) in a sealed box and while it hit really hard some songs, other songs/ranges it would barely be audible. Yeah It could be heard outside of the car a bit more, but apparently that turned out to be bad... My first setup was a ported box that I custom tuned to have a fuller range that probably most any other box I've seen and it would hit any note really tight and accurite while it would still hang in there on any long low note. Subs are really very very dependant on the box's design and the subs/box matching. If you think you might want a sub do your homework and you'll end up finding a setup that will cater to your audio taste.
                        My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

i cant imagine how i use to be without my subs. when i blew my amp and was rolling around bass-less for a couple of days i felt like something was missing, almost like i was in another world.

Comment

Originally posted by T3aM 83rD
                            i cant imagine how i use to be without my subs. when i blew my amp and was rolling around bass-less for a couple of days i felt like something was missing, almost like i was in another world.
                            There is no replacement for a well-balanced system. Highs, mids, and lows all properly crossed over, gains sets, the proper projection, the sub enclosure built for your specific application.....not some cheap-ass obcon/bandpass box.

After reading this thread there aren't too many members I could accuse of being AUDIOPHILES.
                            Last edited by maroonaccord2.2; 07-11-2006, 11:11 AM.
                            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

I think that not only will I cut the tips of the trunk springs, but I will also put some dynamat, What are the most sensible spots in a Cb7?

Comment

Working...
                              X