Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Interference in system with some symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interference in system with some symptoms

I've been trying to figure out what's been causing interference in my sound system. My amp is a Profile AP1000 4-channel and is mounted to the back seat of my car. I've got the RCA and speaker cables running from the head unit to the floor of the driver's side over to the door and down past the B pillar to the side of the backseat where they run up the backside and into the amp. The power cable and turn on wire run on the opposite side of the car same way the others do.

Things I've noticed are that when I get the interference, the sound level also goes down and it will happen 90% of the time when I speed up/slow down at 1-1.5k rpms- the other times are when I'm idling and the fan turns on. It also seems that the car is downshifting gears at that 1-1.5krpms when I get it. I also have the wires to the head unit just twisted together with electrical tape for now.

I just got some new speaker wires and RCA cables and although the sound quality seems to have improved I still get that damn interference. Can anyone help me out with this? Could it be something in the engine compartment? Or is there some sort of insulation I can buy for my wires?

What gauge wire are you running? How about your grounds??? I would check the ground and make sure that is good. I have mine bolted to where the rear seat bolts to the car.

Comment

I've got like 8 guage power/ground cables and 14 guage speaker cables. I used to have my ground above the wheel well but moved it .. im pretty sure its fine.
      Last edited by phunkatek; 07-04-2006, 08:55 PM.

Comment

this is surely because your 8 gage wire is too close of something electrical under the hood.

but too make sure you have a good ground. grind a spot to the body(like the floor in the trunk), clean it and bolt it there.

Comment

hmmm well im not sure where else I could move the power cable besides on the other side of the battery cuz its just coming offa the right side of the batt, wrapping around the front of it and going up towards the fuse box to go down into the firewall... is this different than what other people have? Is there some kinda insulation I should buy?

Comment

Did that interference occur only when engine was running?
            Did you try to rev to check if the noise increased?
            If the ground's solid, I would assume that it's an alt. whine problem.

You can try to run another pair of power(from battery + and - directly)
            and signal cables outside the car to see if the problem still remains...

my member's ride thread

Comment

you could get a line loop eliminator?

Comment

What setup are you running, and is this the first time you've had trouble with alternator whine?

Comment

Its a kenwood head unit with profile AP1000 amp, besides the wiring above, everything else is stock.

Interference only occurs when engine is running.
                  I tried revving the engine a bit after starting it to see if I get the interference and there's none... I'll try putting it in park after warmed up a bit and revving it to see what happens.

...and if alternator whine is what it is, then yep this would be the 1st time I've had problems with it. If that's what it is, do I need to replace the alternator (I have no idea when it was last replaced)?
                  Last edited by phunkatek; 07-09-2006, 02:19 AM.

Comment

heres the ground loop i was discussing. just simply plug in between radio and amp, and it should help with the noise. hook-up input to back of radio, and run rca wires from output to amp. it like 6.96 with 4.00 shipping from ebay, or 10 bucks at wal-mart i think. same brand scosche.
                    Last edited by xfactortype1; 07-13-2006, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Also, turn up your gains a bit...alternator whine is on the noise floor...in other words it doesn't increase with volume. If you turn your gains up that will temporarily solve your problem.

Also, if you can, I think grounding the amp and HU to the same point will help, although I know there are limitations as to how far a ground can be.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Have you finished the Big Three?
                        Any car with a audio system should have the Big 3 done first.

my member's ride thread

Comment

I have had that problem a lot in the past, it will most likely be the amplifier or your head unit. First swap out you amp, maybe with a friends and see if the noise goes away, if it does then just stick him for his amp. If not try swapping the radio, good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X