Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What size subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size subs

I am thinking about getting some subs in my 91 ex. I am just wondering what you guys like.

2 ten inch subs
    or
    1 fifteen inch sub

I like tens, tighter bass.

Comment

what kind of music you listen to

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

i had two memphis audio tens and a 800 watt memphis amp in my old geo storm. They did the job. I just didnt know if a 15 would put out

Comment

if i had space, 15s it is for me. But I dont so I'm running 10s.

Comment

In a way, it is all about Inertia. Think of a lightweight Flywheel, or lighter wheels. A heavier, bigger sub is less responsive because it has more weight and diameter to push. I have always said that bigger subs are better for Rap, but Rock is better for tens. I would say 10s.
            Why? Because... Life Happens @ 4500 RPM

Frost White CB7 Member 31

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_LX
              In a way, it is all about Inertia. Think of a lightweight Flywheel, or lighter wheels. A heavier, bigger sub is less responsive because it has more weight and diameter to push. I have always said that bigger subs are better for Rap, but Rock is better for tens. I would say 10s.
              you dont know what you are talking about..if the magnet size to speaker cone weight are proportional, then there is no difference in responsiveness..

300oz magnet with a 30oz cone is proportional to a
              200oz magnet with a 20oz cone...therefore, they are going to act similar, then only difference being that the heavier-coned 15 will extend down with lower frequencies..

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord
                what kind of music you listen to
                this man is on the right track..rock style music, i'd go with 10s, cheaper subs, cheaper for amp, smaller, lighter
                12s for rock and some rap, 15s if you listen to like gangsta rap and stuff like that or you just want bass..

thats not like a rule to go by, you can easily use 12s for rock, or 15s for rock, but 15s are heavier and require larger amps and all that costs money and seconds on the 1/4 mile times, and you dont really need to extend that low if you listen to only rock..

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                  12s for rock and some rap
                  hehe yeah, i agree. i love my (weak) JL 12(")w1v2 cause it'll handle rap/rock/pop pretty well. i guess i like it also cause it's reasonably quiet and believe it or not, i like that but your choice of sub size/wattage should depend on what music you listen to and how much you want your seat to massage you with bass. just my 2 cents

Comment

The box you get matters too. If you really want loud, make a port hole inside your back armrest for a bandpass enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by pickandpull@hot
                      The box you get matters too. If you really want loud, make a port hole inside your back armrest for a bandpass enclosure.

enclosure design and specs would greatly affect SQ and SPL..

Comment

Yeah... I guess the way I said that wasn't the best: Responsiveness as measured as a rating for subwoofers is exactly like he said^^^^^^. I picked a really bad term. I meant to say that 10s end up sounding a lot more crisp and clean, so they can keep up with the type of bass guitar playing and drums that usually occurs in rock.
                        Why? Because... Life Happens @ 4500 RPM

Frost White CB7 Member 31

Comment

get 2 12's

Comment

I have 15s that will snap quicker than a lot of people out there with 10s

The response of the subwoofer is limited to the inductance of the coil, not how much the cone weighs or how big the diameter is. There are 10's with heavier cones than 15s, yet are more "responsive." The only thing weigh affects is sensitivity and low end extention (which both are mass-controlled).

Comment

Originally posted by GSteg
                              I have 15s that will snap quicker than a lot of people out there with 10s

The response of the subwoofer is limited to the inductance of the coil, not how much the cone weighs or how big the diameter is. There are 10's with heavier cones than 15s, yet are more "responsive." The only thing weigh affects is sensitivity and low end extention (which both are mass-controlled).
                              yeah i've heard you say that thing about inductance before, i just forgot exactly what you had said, i just remembered that 15s can be quicker than 10s

Comment

Working...
                              X