Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Speaker installation? Lame manual.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker installation? Lame manual.

How do you install speakers on the rear deck?

I have a 1991 Accord DX, and I got these Dual 6.5" speakers
    but the "Instruction manual" is so lame it doesn't help.

I think I can install these myself, but I'm not sure though.

Do I need "speaker pods" form Honda that these speakers mount it? Or can I just
    cut a hole in the back board and directly screw in these speakers to the metal underneath?

This is what it looks like for reference:

Crutchfield says I need these speaker harnesses (I knew I did)
    but nothing else. ((Also, what does this mean? It is on the page above: If you need to connect your new speaker's connectors to the Crutchfield harness, soldering is best, and crimping is also very popular - see "Accessories." I thought it just plugged in and thats it...isn't that the whole point of getting these?))

Also, Crutchfield says I need to do this to install speakers in the back:
    Installation Details for your 1991 Accord DX
    » Use the factory speaker brackets.
    » Use the factory speaker grilles.

But the thing is, since it's a DX, I don't think I even have "factory speaker brackets" or "factory speaker grilles." What do I do?

I have a feeling I can just cut out the diameter in the manual (one of the few pieces of info Dual gave) and just screw it in...then just get those speaker harnesses and be ready to go.

Am I correct in thinking this? If not, can someone be so kind as to tell me what I need to do? Argh! I really don't want to have to pay to have someone do this for me. It looks easy enough, but I need some help. Thanks.
    Last edited by raytheon_liszt; 05-21-2006, 02:54 PM.

Originally posted by raytheon_liszt
    Also, Crutchfield says I need to do this to install speakers in the back:
    Installation Details for your 1991 Accord DX
    » Use the factory speaker brackets.
    » Use the factory speaker grilles.
    you can get these in the junkyard
    you gonna need these.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

I'm currently doing th esame thing, but those wores going ot your trunk, just snip the molex's off and crimp some QD's on there.

I was hoping i ddn't hafta buy speaker pods (more $$$), so i was thinking the same thing as you, just cutting a holy and plopping them in.
      My Cardomain-Invite me!

Comment

Speaker harnesses are only if you want to switch back, which you dont, so snip the connectors off and just connect the wires to the speakers. Don't buy from Crutchfield, save some money.

When you get the pods, make sure you get them out of an LX, or maybe a DX, I think they were optional rear speakers. But why? Those speakers they put in there stock are worth like $2.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter
        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
          When you get the pods, make sure you get them out of an LX, or maybe a DX, I think they were optional rear speakers. But why? Those speakers they put in there stock are worth like $2.
          I know, but I dont want the stock speakers, just the pods that house them. Isn't that what I need? Or can i just do what 92CordDX said and just cut a hole and screw them directly to the metal frame?

Also, I don't have a crimping tool. If i cut them off, I'd either hafta solder the wire (which would suck considering I'd hafta do it in-car) or twist them together and cover with electircal tape. So maybe it'd be better for me just to get the connectors.

Comment

You're gonna need the plastic basket/rear pods. Just mounting to the metal frame isn't going to work all that well off. Then again, I've been known to be wrong. You can get two from a junkyard for like 3 or 4 dollars, so no worries there. Are there wires already present for speakers in the rear? Since your car doesn't look like it came with speakers in the rear I hafta wonder if the wire is already run from the deck to the trunk. If there is no wire present, then you're gonna have to run the wires yourself (have fun). On the other hand, if the wire is already there, then you can just solder the leads directly to the speakers. I'm not sure if I answered your question exactly, but I did my best. Let us know how it comes out. This is a learning experience for me too!
            Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
            D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
            ┴─┴
            ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Thanks! But now I need to find a junkyard. Is there anyone here that lives in the LA area knows a good junkyard/salvage place?

I'm assuming the baskets/pods are direct and easy to remove/install?

Originally posted by Masamune
              Are there wires already present for speakers in the rear? Since your car doesn't look like it came with speakers in the rear I hafta wonder if the wire is already run from the deck to the trunk. If there is no wire present, then you're gonna have to run the wires yourself (have fun).
              There are wire there (surprisingly) and this was confirmed by someone in anotehr thread of mine. If you look at my first post, that wire and connector hanging there is the speaker wire. All i can do is HOPE that this is threaded to the front....

My speakers came with wires with connectors on the ends with the other ends exposed. Maybe i can solder the exposed ends to the cut car wire? Something tells me that buying the harness will save alot of work and headache...

Yeah I'll let you guys know. I'll also be asking more questions probabaly! haha this site is awsome.

Comment

No. You simply snip off the plastic connectors and twist the wires around the speaker connections.
                My Cardomain-Invite me!

Comment

The pods come out easy. Three nuts from underneath inside the trunk. One you have to remove, the other two just loosened, then rotate the pod and it will lift out. Remove the cover from the base (4 screws I think) to get access to the screws that attach the speakers to the base.

I believe I have seen (not sure where at the moment) adapters available to go from the Honda plug to spade connectors for the speakers if you don't want to cut the factory wiring.

I still have stock stereos and CD's in my Accords, but have changed out the single cone stock speakers for some dual cone 6.5 inch Honda speakers from Magaauto(?) on ebay, the Honda connector plugs right in. I listen mostly to talk radio so I don't really need much more.

Depending on what you want, there are two different style pods, both look the same from the top, but one houses 6.5 inch round speakers, the other 6x9 ovals.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-05-2010, 02:22 AM.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Does anyone even read post dates before they comment? I really hope that raytheon_liszt has installed his speakers by now.

Comment

Originally posted by RUGER 2.2L View Post
                      Does anyone even read post dates before they comment? I really hope that raytheon_liszt has installed his speakers by now.
                      I doubt he even owns the car anymore:

Last Activity: 09-11-2009 09:12 AM

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by RUGER 2.2L View Post
                        lol
                        _C'est La Vie, C'est La Mort_

Comment

4 year old thread revival, way to go!
                          Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                          D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                          ┴─┴
                          ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Sorry. Another lesson learned.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                            X