Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Possibly a really noob question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly a really noob question....

I was wondering on how do I amp up my speakers. I am thinking of getting a 4 channel amp to power up the speakers. I installed my sub system myself and that was easy enough.

I was wondering

1. do I need to run a new power line from the battery?
    2. Would it be to do a "split off the old power line
    3. Do I need to rerun all of my speaker wire?

Is it really worth it?
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

More info please:

*What gauge wire are you currently running?
    *You CAN split off of the existing power if the cable is large enough to support the current draw by using a distribution block.
    *You don't need to re-run all of the speaker wire, just run the 2-front channels back up to the factory wiring and tap into the door speaker leads in the dash. Run the rears a couple of feet right to the rear decklid.
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

It really depends how thick the wire is you used last time. Depending on what kind of wattage you plan to pull, determines what gauge of wire to use. The best way to do it is to run 1 wire to the trunk, preferably 0 gauge or 2 gauge if you plan to run 2 amps. Then, at the end of the power wire (where you now connect it to the amp at this point), you would split the 0/2 gauge wire with a fused distribution block. You would then run two 4-gauge wires to your amps and power each one up normally. If you keep the 4 gauge wire (or smaller) that is in there, your fuses will blow, or the music will frequently cut out because it is not able to pull enough current to run correctly.

I forgot to mention that you need another RCA Cable (like a 4 footer), to connect from the OUT side of one amp to the IN side of another.

Good luck!

Comment

4 gauge is big enough to run 2 amps.... If you get over a 1000 watts, I'd consider upgrading the power from 4 to 0 or 2 gauge like mentioned above. Btw, not all amps will accept 4 gauge, my Alpine doesn't.
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

0 gauge will never fit on ur amp or even to put it on the battery you will have to cut both ends to make it fit and dont worry you wont lose any power or because 0gauge wire can withstand much more heat than 4gauge making the electricity flow faster and more effective. (quote me if im wrong).
          1993 Accord EX
          2011 Subaru STi

Comment

I only have 4 gauge now. It is rockford wire but that dont mean shit. I can run an extra wire off my battery though since I have one of the caps on the positive so I have a spot for more wire. My deck has outputs on it for sub/ video/ and I think front and rear. Is that what I would use in order to send signal to the amp? I am thinking of doing this since music and sound quality are like the most important things in my ride. You can tell cuz the rest of the car looks like ass.
            No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204
              0 gauge will never fit on ur amp or even to put it on the battery you will have to cut both ends to make it fit and dont worry you wont lose any power or because 0gauge wire can withstand much more heat than 4gauge making the electricity flow faster and more effective. (quote me if im wrong).
              Your on the right track, but 0 guage wire has less "resistance" than 4 guage wire which results in a cooler operating wire.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

what you do is run a 2 gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block. then all you'll need from there is 8 gauge to go from the block to the amp. but when you ground make sure do make a seperate ground.

as for the speaker wires you can run the wires up behind the head unit it is has been done b4 but you do lose sound quality..

imo, if you realy want to do this; do it right and take your time, you dont wanna rush mobile electronics
                .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

it's always best to just run a new wire unless you have a distribution block. you don't want to start blowing fuses every other day. more of a pain that the convenience is worth

Comment

Originally posted by 93cb7ExCoupe
                    what you do is run a 2 gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block. then all you'll need from there is 8 gauge to go from the block to the amp. but when you ground make sure do make a seperate ground.

as for the speaker wires you can run the wires up behind the head unit it is has been done b4 but you do lose sound quality..

imo, if you realy want to do this; do it right and take your time, you dont wanna rush mobile electronics
                    whats the point in running a 2awg wire to a pair of 8awg wires? wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the 2awg? if you still have a small wire, then that will defeat the purpose of the 2awg...just go with a 4awg wire...thats what im running and im over 1100wRMS easy..

Comment

I am pretty sure I am running 4 gauge. I am still debating if i am going to do this. I just installed my tweeters today and it sounds so sick so amping could be a good idea but for now......I WANT MORE POWER

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                        whats the point in running a 2awg wire to a pair of 8awg wires? wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the 2awg? if you still have a small wire, then that will defeat the purpose of the 2awg...just go with a 4awg wire...thats what im running and im over 1100wRMS easy..
                        4 g. wire is okay if you are only running one amplifier.

two amplifiers together draw alot of amperes.
                        when they run seperate they dont ask for alot of amps. this is why al of the low end amplifiers only have 8 gauge power inputs.
                        so if you run a 2 gauge or better to the dis. block the amperes wil be there for both of the amps when they ask for it.

think of it as water going through a pipe. the water will flow faster if the pipe is bigger.

electrical current works the same way.
                        my amplifier can handle a 0 gauge input and output.
                        .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Originally posted by 93cb7ExCoupe
                          4 g. wire is okay if you are only running one amplifier.

two amplifiers together draw alot of amperes.
                          when they run seperate they dont ask for alot of amps. this is why al of the low end amplifiers only have 8 gauge power inputs.
                          so if you run a 2 gauge or better to the dis. block the amperes wil be there for both of the amps when they ask for it.

think of it as water going through a pipe. the water will flow faster if the pipe is bigger.

electrical current works the same way.
                          my amplifier can handle a 0 gauge input and output.
                          thats nice and all about what your amp inputs can handle..but dont just generalize on what amps can handle what...i have a couple of old school MTX amps...reliable as hell...had them for ten years in florida...never once over heated...had it over 170 degrees in my car one day, tested it with a thermometer...never had any problems with running 4awg to a distribution block, and then 8awg to each amp...each of my amps has inputs for 2awg wire..no need to run a thicker wire if the duty doesnt call for it...thats like putting racing slicks on a daily driver..its just impractical and foolish..

and besides, the point that i was trying to make, if you had read my post, was that if you run 2awg to the dist. block, then only 2 8awg wires from there...ur little analogy doesnt make sense...you have a back-up in your pipe...so, again...its pointless to run a wire that thick...

Comment

dont amp your stock speakers, it will sound like shit, yes you need to run power and ground to the amp and then either RCA's from your head unit to the amp, or you need to tap into your speakers to your amp to send them a signal.

Comment

you need to run power (red), ground (black), signal (RCA's), and remote (blue) to your amp, then all you need to do from there is run speaker wire to the respective speakers

Comment

Working...
                              X