Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car alarm accessories, sensors questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car alarm accessories, sensors questions.

So my new alarm system is on the way and I want to get the accessories while waiting for it to arrive next week. I would like to clarify some of the functions of the accessories with the experts and others that have experience with the products.
    So let's get to sensors first:
    1) Shock sensors, these all come with any typical car alarm system. Questions: External shock sensor vs. in brain sensor, which one is more effective? To be most effective, where should these be mounted? Should we even use it if we are going to add other sensors?

2) Infrasonic sensors: DEI 509U and AutoPage SIS-12. These claim to sense air pressure changes, thus they claim to be an all in one sensor where the glass break, hood/trunk pin, and hard wire door triggers are not needed.
    Questions: How effective are these vs. hard wiring of the door, hood, trunk triggers? Could we really not worry about the trigger wires any more? This would help cut down with a few of the wire connections. What are the best locations and ways to mount them to make them effective?

3) Glass break sensor: Where's the best location to mount and how to mount it? Do we still need it if we plan on installing an infrasonic sensor?

4) Proximity radar motion sensor: How is this sensor different from the infrasonic? Is this sensor needed if you have the infrasonic sensor already installed?

5) Tilt sensor: We know if you got nice wheels or afraid of car towing. So I think no other sensors could replace this one. So the question then where and how is it mounted to be most effective?

6) Battery backup: The only one I have seen are made by DEI. I am sure other companies sell them. How long does the battery last from continuous charging? Once fully charge if they ever are, how long does it last protecting the car? I have read a few places stating that these batteries only have life for about 6 months or a little more. Is this true?
    What if we upgrade the battery to a higher power battery, this would take longer to charge up, but would it work with the backup device?

7) Over all, which sensors in combination are most effective with an alarm system?

8) What are the gauge sizes for the alarm brain wires, if you want to extend them to mount the brain further away from the dash? I think I have seen 22 gauges or 18 gauges for the typical wires. And for the power, ground, and remote start, I believe 16 gauge. Not sure about the power, I think those are 12-10 gauge right? While you are extending the wires, might just well put them together in a plug harness to make it neat and more organized. I found an electronic store near my home to have these quick disconnectors with 9 pins and 22-18 gauge wires.

9) Alarm antenna: if you extend the wires, would this reduce the range? If you want to extend without cutting, would there be plugin extensions?

10) Can we use cross brands accessories? Like if I buy an Autopage alarm brand, can I use DEI sensors and battery backup for it?

11) What do you guys think of Posi-taps? Are they pretty secure and good connecting? They are a bit expensive.

Thanks for any input guys.
    Last edited by Bad_dude; 06-23-2012, 11:20 PM.

The glass break sensor is a waste of money. That's what the shock sensor is for.

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
      The glass break sensor is a waste of money. That's what the shock sensor is for.
      Really? How's is that? The ones built into the brain don't seem to be very sensitive. Some people complain that even if they kick the car, it won't go off.
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
        Really? How's is that? The ones built into the brain don't seem to be very sensitive. Some people complain that even if they kick the car, it won't go off.
        Thanks.
        So since I been an installer for years, I have a little input on this.

If you kick the car, its to sensitive, and it will go off if someone farts next to it. A properly positioned shock sensor will pick up all windows and some body impacts.

Glass break sensor is good for vans with thin windows that dont need much effort to break.

prox will detect movment. I usually use prox in convertables, but sometimes in cars. But I only set it for interior cabin and not exterior.

Tilt is great if you dont want your wheels jacked.

Battery backup is a good idea.

Personally, Id do a backup battery, backup siren, horn honk, a decent alarm, and if I have extra cash maybe a tilt sensor. One thing you got to make sure is if the alarm can handle all the extra sensors or if it can be wired in.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Shock sensors are made to mount under column ziptied to wires. Most of them are over sensitive to the windshield, meaning when setup to work properly around car just tapping the windshield will set off alarm. Then customers demanding them to set improperly equals false alarms.

Glass breakage sensors are better. They listen for the frequency when glass breaks. This what most oem alarms have because they work fairly well. Some older or cheaper ones might false off of expanding plastics if improperly set.

I used a few autopage pressure sensors a long time ago and they worked better than i expected. They are not a substitute for wiring in door pins.

Motion sensors need to reset at the angle of the car evertime the alarm is armed otherwise they can false easily. The only ones i have used that worked right are Alpine and dei.

Prox sensor are dumb and car dependent. Some cars will work ok and other don't. I have had to set it where you have to reach in 1.5 ft before it triggers otherwise it picks up passerbys and falses. That means you can snatch what is seat without setting alarm off. If you don't have a convertable don't waste the money.

I would add a dei glass and motion sensor
          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

With any alarm systems, you could turn off a sensor when arming right? For example, when I park in front of my apt., I want all of the sensors to work at night since very few if any one come around the car except for the thieves. Could I set it less sensitive just for mostly warning and let the shock sensor take care of the real break in?
            If I am in a parking lot at the mall I could just turn all of the sensors off except for the shock sensor to prevent false alarm?

So for a balance sensitivity, I should mount the shock sensor zip tie to bunch of wire loom? In this case, if you have a system that the shock sensor built into the brain, how to hide the brain by just zip tie it to the wire loom? Wires are usually exposed right under the dash.

Thanks.

Comment

You cannot individually turn sensors on or off unless you wire it that way yourself.

The shock sensors won't reliably pick up a broken window especially if you turn down the sensitivity. Also the shock sensor is the most prone to falsing so why would you turn off other sensors?

There many wires under the dash,you don't have to make the alarm visible. Ultimately though, most installs go where it is easiest, around the ignition wires due to the low $ customers are willing to pay.

If you want to solid mount the alarm turn down the internal shock and use an outboard one.
              Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                You cannot individually turn sensors on or off unless you wire it that way yourself.
                If I want to do this, I would have to do it by zone number right?

The shock sensors won't reliably pick up a broken window especially if you turn down the sensitivity. Also the shock sensor is the most prone to falsing so why would you turn off other sensors?
                What I mean is when I am at a shopping mall parking lot. I would rely on the hard wire triggers rather than sensors being too sensitive. I don't want some one next to my car going to their car and get a warning "Arm by Viper, please stand back." They probably get mad and kick my car to set it off and then drive off. BTW, I like the voice module but not sure if it is of any benefit?

There many wires under the dash,you don't have to make the alarm visible. Ultimately though, most installs go where it is easiest, around the ignition wires due to the low $ customers are willing to pay.
                Yeah, I know. I look under my Corolla with the disable alarm and little wires are not even zip tie, just shove under the dash and if you move one wire, the whole bunch of loose wires fall out.
                I'll be doing the install myself so I'll take time to mount it neatly. I don't think I'll install the brain under the dash so I might need to extend some wires. Thus I would like to know the wire gauge sizes so I'll have the wires ready when the alarm gets here.
                If you want to solid mount the alarm turn down the internal shock and use an outboard one.
                I think an external DEI shock sensor is only about $20, I think I might have two sensors include the internal one to the brain to protect the opposite sides of the car. Is that a good idea? Problem is how much current will a single sensor draw if I splice and tap in the sensor port mount? I got 60 diodes in hand so I can wire stuffs.
                Questions on sensors addons. For DEI sensors, there's blue and green wires, which is which? The blue is full trigger, and the green is warning trigger? Do I need diodes for both wires? With negative triggers, the band facing the sensors right?

I want to get an alarm for my brother in law and install it for him after mine. His areas, they just break in the cars park on the streets. He wants to know when this happens so he can do some kicking a**.
                Do you guys think this alarm system is good?
                How is it compares to the Prestige?

Thanks.

Comment

I would guess that DEI sensors can be used with other brand name systems.
                  Autopage sensors vs DEI sensors, which brand has better quality, better functions, and sensitivity?
                  I looked at the Crime Guard proximity sensor and it's physically a bit smaller than the DEI 508D, would the physical size dictates the sensitivity and function?

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Bad_dude; 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

In most sensors you can move the sensibility on the sensor, but if you go to high it will be going out a lot

Comment

Originally posted by P1nw1n0 View Post
                      In most sensors you can move the sensibility on the sensor, but if you go to high it will be going out a lot
                      Some one on the12V think I am wasting my time with more than 1 sensor and he think I should only use the motion sensor 508D. Would it go off if some one broke my window? I want the tilt sensor too in case they try to tow the car. I don't have any expensive wheels, just the steelies and nicely painted hub cabs, should I even get the tilt?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Any one knows what's the maximum amount of sensors can be hard wire into one single 4 pin port?
                        Thanks.

Comment

Some one on the12V think I am wasting my time with more than 1 sensor and he think I should only use the motion sensor 508D. Would it go off if some one broke my window? I want the tilt sensor too in case they try to tow the car. I don't have any expensive wheels, just the steelies and nicely painted hub cabs, should I even get the tilt?
                          Thanks.
                          Well I got two censors on my cb7 one under the steering wheel column and one in my trunk.
                          The one one in the trunk if I put the sencibility high enough if you try to insert the key in to open the trunk the Alarm will go off

Comment

Originally posted by P1nw1n0 View Post
                            Well I got two censors on my cb7 one under the steering wheel column and one in my trunk.
                            The one one in the trunk if I put the sencibility high enough if you try to insert the key in to open the trunk the Alarm will go off
                            It looks like you 2 shock sensors. I am thinking of just one shock sensor, one motion sensor and possibly a tilt sensor. My trunk will be wired up for trigger so I probably don't need that. But I want the radar sensor to warn off before any break in might occur. Of course nothing you could do about vandalism if you are not there.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Any one knows what's the maximum amount of sensors can be hard wire into one single 4 pin port?
                              Thanks.
                              I think 2 sensors. But you have to wire them up a different way. Instead of color for color, you need to wire them up multiplex. They show this in some install manuals. It will enable the system to know what sensor is going off.

you can also just use a few diodes inline so that each sensor acts as its own sensor.

I have done it to where I only hook up the trigger wire from a prox to a shock sensor, so that I dont have any warn away when someone walks by. Its all about thought and creativity, but at the same time keeping it simple. if they are going to steal the car, they will do it regardless if you have an alarm or not.
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X