Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stuck on a stereo install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on a stereo install

Hey guys, I bought my Cb7 half a year ago and this is my first car(and of choice) and well the previous owner was in a few words was not so bright. You see if a fuse would blow out he would simply replace it with any fuse laying around, and he installed an aftermarket stereo but only cut the wires and held them together with electrical tape, which resulted in the tape melting and making a mess but not only that shorting sticking together and causing a small fire in the mid section dash. I was lucky enough to have noticed disconnect the battery and put out the fire. But this was the end result. :/

Damaged, messy, burned cables.

Interior (15 amp) fuse slot is melted but is working, when I checked after the fire the previous owner had a (30 amp) fuse in it.

It has been a few months now since then and well it's a little boring without music, so I went out and bought this.

I've done a research both on this site and on the rest of the web and I'm kind of lost on what to do, can I wire it to my battery directly and use a cable with an inline fuse?
    I have tested the cables and everything works fine in my car except for the Cigar lighter and well the stereo cables are just gross and non functional.
    Where should I start? what do I need? any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not trying to cheat, I have actually gone through threads and greatly thought about making my own and did not want to make one until I felt like I truly needed help, and I do.

Also are these pictures fine or would you like any others of different angles? interior fuse box? I hope the size of the pictures are okay and aren't over sized. I'm highly concerned on not bugging anyone with huge pictures. :/
    Last edited by RedFalcoln; 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM.

No you're fine, if only every new member would be as detailed in their question asking/thread making. That looks like a total wreck, here is the OEM wiring diagram.
    Radio Constant 12V+: Blue/White
    Radio Switched 12V+: Yellow/Red
    Radio Ground: Black
    Radio Illumination: Red/Black
    Radio Dimmer: n/a
    Left Front (+): Blue/Green
    Left Front (-): Gray/Black
    Right Front (+): Red/Green
    Right Front (-): Brown/Black
    Left Rear (+): Blue/Yellow
    Left Rear (-): Gray/White
    Right Rear (+): Red/Yellow
    Right Rear (-): Brown/White
    Use that to wire up your speakers, and if you feel the need to hard wire your deck, go ahead, just use the fuse like stated. Although most decks have a fuse already in them, the need for an extra one isn't always needed. And you need to find a switched 12v spot somewhere.
    Last edited by dj_ender; 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

A new fuse panel should be relatively cheap at your local junkyard. That would be a great start to solving that issue. I'm of the opinion to start fresh in that regard.

As far as the wiring in the dash is concerned, I'd take a look at how far back the wiring is melted and then cut out the damaged sections. I'd then try and find an Accord in the junkyard with an undamaged radio harness and cut/splice/heatshrink in the new connector and then get a basic Metra/Scosche wiring adapter and then wire that to your deck.

Obviously if the wires are fried further back, then you might run into some issues. I just of am the opinion that running a separate harness is a bandaid fix, and if you can restore the integrity of the original harness, it's worth it.

Comment

Mabe a new wire harness looks like a fire waiting two happen. Or mabe run your own wires so you don't short something.....

Nice deck/speakers BTW! I run a jvc deck in one of my accords and it sounds good so do the rear pioneer 6x9 in my other accord.....
        My 90 coupe Mr thread....
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

go to the j yard and snip off a plug off a car there and solder/crimp it into your car and get rid of that mess. make it easier on you to install the radio. also get the harness adapter it will make life easier. its a fire hazard waiting to happen. maybe replace the fuse block.
          Last edited by babiface082392; 05-22-2012, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I think I'm going to go with a hard wire for my Power(RED) and Power(Yellow) of course attaching a fuse just for precautions even if the new stereo comes with a 10(amp) fuse. When the problem occurred I made sure only the stereo wiring harness and Cigar lighter were the only things damaged, I removed the dash(which was easy after finding the information on here) but I am going to double check just to be safe. I really want to leave it as close to it's original state as possible I by no means want to just half ass it and well have such a liability, I mean if I need money some day and need to sell my car I don't want the people looking into the car and thinking I was a moron or did not care for the car. If I find an OEM fuse box I am buying it, I am also by the looks of things heading out to Walmart to buy the mounting bracket and the adapter, I'm planning on doing this on Friday.

Thank you I really looked into the products before buying them and I hope it sounds great when it's finally set up. @SPLCB7

@dj_ender Thank you, I just don't feel or see the need in posting if you can search through the forum(I moderate a gaming forum & get a lot of that as well) and I found a lot of useful things including the list of cables and understand people go out of their way to post things such as you did and well I only found one other topic like mine but did not fully explain what was going on, I think I will take pictures of all the work and post them here for others to view if they end up with luck like mine.

I'm also going to install a rubberized antenna(like many others my powered antenna is jammed and flat out ugly)
            Last edited by RedFalcoln; 05-22-2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Comment

Hey guys, so I'm taking advantage of the three day weekend and getting started on this project today, I have everything needed now for a hard wire but where would I run this power(red) cable through and should I run two wires one for power(red) and one for power(Yellow) as stated in some post? I see some people recommend drilling holes through the firewall but is there any other way? not looking for an easy way just don't want to drill away after only reading a few post. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by RedFalcoln View Post
                  Hey guys, so I'm taking advantage of the three day weekend and getting started on this project today, I have everything needed now for a hard wire but where would I run this power(red) cable through and should I run two wires one for power(red) and one for power(Yellow) as stated in some post? I see some people recommend drilling holes through the firewall but is there any other way? not looking for an easy way just don't want to drill away after only reading a few post. Any ideas?
                  You can usually get the red wire to go thru the firewall where the large boot is that connects to the fuse box. No, do not run the yellow to the battery, whoever said that was crazy. You need to find a switched 12v spot, you can use one of the empty slots in the fuse box under the dash.

Comment

Working...
                  X