Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How can they tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can they tell?

What's up everyone. So I was I was searching around about running amps at .5 ohms or below their recomended ohm load in general, just out of curiosity, and everyone says most companies wont warrent their amps when ran below recomended loads. Now I understand why they do this, but how can the tell? Like say I run my amp at .5 and it fries. How can the company tell I ran it below the recomended load? Again, this is not something I plan to do but I've just been wondering. Thanks.

because its fried... certain components will let loose first when that abuse happens and im sure they have a flow chart somewhere thats like ohh this transistor popped or this trace is burned up or this toroid is cooked from low resistance compared to a manufacturing defect or another component failing. most amps will go into protection mode when you do this though, if you do tho turn the gain and EQ boost down and work your way up while checking temperatures.

Comment

You'll fry the outputs of the amp and not the power circuits. Very few head units supply enough voltage to overdrive the inputs. And if you crank up the gain your amp will still multiply that distorted signal and blow your subs. If you take a blown amp apart and multiple parts of the outputs are cooked, pretty good sign the ohm load was to low

But mostly it's the amp manufactures trying to get out of covering online and self installed amps. Who's going to sue a big company over a couple hundred bucks, and unless you got your mecp, your gonna lose in court anyways against the amp manufactures expert. Then you'll be on the hook for court cost. If you get the amp at a authorized dealer they should swap
      It under warranty no problem matter what you did to
      It, unless it's physical damage... Then it's
      Not covered at all

Comment

Fried output transistors is usually the culprit of shorting two amp terminals together. half an ohm is damn close to a short too.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
        X