Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Picking an alarm system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking an alarm system.

Im looking forward to get an alarm system , the viper 5901. Which model would you guys recommeded/rate? Anyways I have the ex model.

anything Viper is good. The more you pay, the more options you get, like programmable outputs. Our cars, unless highly customized, do not need many programmable outputs. Programmable outputs allow you to do things like pop the trunk (which you need to install a solenoid to pull the cable), pop doors on cars with shaved handles, remote start, turn on neon lights, roll the windows down, turn on the headlights, flash strobes, stuff like that.

Almost all the "basic" systems will at least do power locks and dome light supervision. All the systems will monitor the doors, have a shock sensor, and include a siren. The lower end systems have a shock sensor built into the brain, the mid - high end systems will have a separate shock sensor that you can mount where you choose. Top of the line systems will have two way communication between the vehicle and remote, which has an lcd status display that alerts you to the status of your car such as locked or unlocked, why the alarm was tripped (door opened or shock sensor), and usually have a programmable audible warning or vibrate mode.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

my brother-in-law ( in Florida ) had a viper and he walked outside to see a thief running away with the viper alarm and his headunit.

just saying =P anything 2way is good but hide your brains somewhere other than the front of the car
      frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
        my brother-in-law ( in Florida ) had a viper and he walked outside to see a thief running away with the viper alarm and his headunit.

just saying =P anything 2way is good but hide your brains somewhere other than the front of the car
        I hate to say this, but that's kinda funny. Stole the alarm...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

I would say anything DEI... Viper, Python, Hornet... just to name a few.

Comment

never had probs with viper you made a good choice young grasshopper

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

I have a avital alarm in mine ( dei product) keyless with remote start and two way paging and smart start off my iPhone. Soon I will add remote windows and accessorie turn on so I can turn my system on and off with the remote or my phone. It will let me know if anything has been opened or the windows broken, and if the car is running or not. I also have a switch
              Hidden for my brake over ride switch. If I park it somewhere I flip the switch killing the ground. This allows me to turn off the car with
              Either my phone or remote even if the key cylinder is
              Busted and turned to the run position. Poping the hood also kills the ignition. I also have a additional gps tracker hidden in the bumper of the car

Comment

i have some DEI 2-way system. it worked great for 2 years, then one day it just refused to start the engine. could still start manually, and the lock/unlock functions still worked, and the relays all tested fine. i dunno. but, i was so satisfied i will buy the same thing again!

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

I have had the same viper 2-way in my car since 2005. The remote looks pretty bad, but still works great. However since I have a manual I only use the lock/unlock feature which almost defeated the purpose of having such a nice alarm.
                  "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

I would rather have a cheap alarm with the proper inputs/sensors then an expensive alarm with minimal sensors.

Get a hood pin, tuck all the alarm electrical out of sight, hide the brain, hide the siren(s). Pretty much all alarms come with shock sensors, I would recommend adding a glass breakage or motion sensor, and possibly a tilt sensor (for attack of the towtruck).

Then hide a kill switch that kills the fuel pump and/or ignition. If you want to keep someone from just using a coat-hanger and hitting the power door lock button, you could tie the killswitch to kill those switches also.

Installing an immobilizer might also be a good option in place of the kill switch, or as an extra layer of protection.
                    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by Soufkackicustom View Post
                      I have a avital alarm in mine ( dei product) keyless with remote start and two way paging and smart start off my iPhone. Soon I will add remote windows and accessorie turn on so I can turn my system on and off with the remote or my phone. It will let me know if anything has been opened or the windows broken, and if the car is running or not. I also have a switch
                      Hidden for my brake over ride switch. If I park it somewhere I flip the switch killing the ground. This allows me to turn off the car with
                      Either my phone or remote even if the key cylinder is
                      Busted and turned to the run position. Poping the hood also kills the ignition. I also have a additional gps tracker hidden in the bumper of the car
                      Thanks for the input guys. My buddy has a avital, and it sucks. You can open the door and the alarm doesnt even come on. Anyways Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by f2156 View Post
                        Thanks for the input guys. My buddy has a avital, and it sucks. You can open the door and the alarm doesnt even come on. Anyways Ill let you guys know how it goes.
                        Are you sure your buddy has the alarm hooked up correctly to sense when the door is opened? Just a thought considering it is a DEI product and they generally make great products.
                        "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

He bought from Best Buy and they installed it for him for free. I guess you can say "professionally installed".

Comment

Originally posted by f2156 View Post
                            He bought from Best Buy and they installed it for him for free. I guess you can say "professionally installed".
                            Arm the alarm with the window down. Unlock the door manually and slam the door shut. The alarm should go off. The installer either hooked to
                            The wrong wire or the car has a bad door pin. In most cars you can hook up to the dome or floor lights if they come on when the door is open, the alarm will go off. Tell him to take it back. Dei carries a lifetime warrenty when installed by a dealer.

I'll give my review of smart start. It's a waste or money unless you have a car with push button start. I have to unlock my phone, open the app, then use the alarm.....then I still have to have my key to drive the car. Since I have to have the key, I have my fob already in my hand and it's
                            Just a push of a button. If I had push button start like newer cars. I would just leave the transponder key in the glovebox or under the seat and use just my phone. But for my cb 9. It's easier to use the fob
                            Last edited by Soufkackicustom; 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

my car has a clifford alarm in it with remote start.

it was installed by the p/o so not sure exactly what model and what all accessories or extra i/o's are installed, but the alarm works great, and is tucked away nicely. its really sensitive, especially around the wheel area which i like.

Comment

Working...
                              X