Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

whining noise with stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whining noise with stereo

as the title says i get a whining noise when my deck is on, is doesnt matter if it is blaring or on pause, i just got done installing amp/sub and amp'ing 6x9's. ran the rca's down the drivers side and power cord down passenger side.

weirdest thing... its rpm related it gets louder when in higher range. but if the deck is off it doesnt do it.. i know it isn't the cd... im not sure but it sounds like it is coming from under the hood
    any help is appreciated

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
    as the title says i get a whining noise when my deck is on, is doesnt matter if it is blaring or on pause, i just got done installing amp/sub and amp'ing 6x9's. ran the rca's down the drivers side and power cord down passenger side.

weirdest thing... its rpm related it gets louder when in higher range. but if the deck is off it doesnt do it.. i know it isn't the cd... im not sure but it sounds like it is coming from under the hood
    any help is appreciated
    The whine is feedback from you alternator. It is caused by bad grounding, and/or crappy RCA's.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
      The whine is feedback from you alternator. It is caused by bad grounding, and/or crappy RCA's.
      possibly bad grounding... but how would crappy RCA's have to do with it since it doesnt matter if it is paused or up?

Comment

possibly bad grounding... but how would crappy RCA's have to do with it since it doesnt matter if it is paused or up?
        Poor/ or no shielding .
        wat?

Comment

There's a ground in the RCA's..... And even though it's paused, there's still a signal running thru them. Crappy RCA's don't have interference technology in them, and I should have said, old RCA's as well. If they are broken, like mine, they will cause whining, why, because it breaks the ground.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I had cheap RCA's and they were grounded. Wined like a little girl. I bought some new ones, and ran them on the OPPOSITE side of the power wire.. Problem solved.

Comment

they are brand new rca's... and the brand is scosche... and all my friends have used them no problems... ill look at the grounding tomorrow

Comment

Do you have a picture of them you could show me? Perhaps one off of Google?

Also, are you running the RCA's beside the main power wire?

Have you tried grounding them like this:

Comment

This can also be caused by overgrounding. Remember that audio ground and chassis ground must never touch. Audio ground must be isolated. "Ground" parts of audio cables such as the outside ring of RCA cables must never touch metal.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by tlej@live.com View Post
                    Do you have a picture of them you could show me? Perhaps one off of Google?

Also, are you running the RCA's beside the main power wire?

Have you tried grounding them like this:
                    iv never seen that type of grounding done before, but in my main post i said i have the power wire on the passengers side and the rca's on the drivers side... but what i want to know is what is making the whining noise cause it cant be the speakers cause there is no volume...
                    http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/spin_prod_546639701
                    that looks almost just like them... its the right brand and everything

Comment

also all my wires are just kinda jumbled behind my sub idk if that makes a difference... i plan to clean it up some tomorrow

Comment

What kind of head unit do you have? Because:

When you say there is "no volume" do you mean they are turned down to 0, or they are up, just not playing music.

For a quick test, try touching the RCA's where they connect to your amp. See if the whine stops. If so, it's a ground issue. Also, do you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter? Try unplugging it and check for the whine. I've also known someone who got rid of the whine by twisting the rca's..

Does the wine increase in pitch when you press the throttle? (Sorry.. Just saw you mentioned this in first post.)

Is there any wine when the car is just in the ACC position? (I know you said it's RPM related, but .. still.)

Comment

Originally posted by tlej@live.com View Post
                          What kind of head unit do you have? Because:

When you say there is "no volume" do you mean they are turned down to 0, or they are up, just not playing music.

For a quick test, try touching the RCA's where they connect to your amp. See if the whine stops. If so, it's a ground issue. Also, do you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter? Try unplugging it and check for the whine. I've also known someone who got rid of the whine by twisting the rca's..

Does the wine increase in pitch when you press the throttle? (Sorry.. Just saw you mentioned this in first post.)

Is there any wine when the car is just in the ACC position? (I know you said it's RPM related, but .. still.)
                          it plays music just fine but when its on pause it still does the whine, i dont have a cigarette lighter(someone cut it out, kinda weird if you ask me), and the rca's come pre-twisted inside of a tube like coating. yes the whine increases when pressing on the throttle, and i think at even idle there is no whine(by memory i think it starts at like 2k-ish rpms)

Comment

Unplug your RCA's from the back of the amp. Test for the wine.

Comment

I also ran the remote wire on the rca side... Does this matter?

Comment

Working...
                              X