Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

radio+so called friend= fire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio+so called friend= fire.

as the title says, my so called friend tried to help me wire my radio cause the previouse owner butchered the harness,well wile driving home my dsh has smoke from it i pulled the radio out and it was almost black. i pull the wires apart so i didnt go up in flames. my question is any one know the wire diagram for the radio in a 91 lx. thanx yall

go to the junkyard and get a factory plug with 4-5" of wire and SOLDER it back on. then use an adapter harness and color match the wires.
    COUPE K24

Comment

What was just mentioned what I had to do to my car. Makes life a lot easier and wires some what neater.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

When I wired up my deck I used a 12 pole connector that I got from radioshack:

You just use a mini flathead to tighten each terminal/pole down.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 01-06-2012, 05:49 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

you cut off the stock plug?
          COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
            you cut off the stock plug?
            Adapter harness ftw, with the 12 pole connector. Stock harness plug, adapter harness, pole connector, deck harness.

Comment

in that case, yes. haha
              COUPE K24

Comment

thanx ill try it in a week or two, wen i have some cash

Comment

sorry to hear...my car had cut wires to cuz the old owner was to cheap to but the harness

Comment

I hate it when people cut the stock harnesses.. The reason behind your fire would have very likely been that your constant wire was exposed and ended up banging around n something during the drive. Always solder/heatshrink or do a damn good job of using butt-connectors!

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                      Adapter harness ftw, with the 12 pole connector. Stock harness plug, adapter harness, pole connector, deck harness.
                      why not just use crimp caps? the pole connector has more of a chance of failure than caps.
                      SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRICH View Post
                        why not just use crimp caps? the pole connector has more of a chance of failure than caps.
                        You could use a crimp cap, I just found an alternative that I liked much better then crimp caps / butt connectors. I use crimp caps for home electrical 110v+, not for 12v wiring. Just thought I would share an alternative route that might interest people. How does the pole connector have more chance of failure? You shouldn't be putting that much force into your wiring for it to be a problem, if your back there yanking and pulling on stuff it would be better to have the pole connector act as a breakway, before you start stretching all your wires causing added resistance and increasing the likelyhood of a fire. The pole connector only holds the wires as tight as you screw it down.
                        Last edited by cloudasc; 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Crimp caps are a pain. What chance does the pole connector have of failure? If your pulling your harness hard enough to pull the wires out of the connector, your pulling too hard on the wiring to begin with... think of it this way... that pole connector is like having 12 crimp caps, but instead of squeezing a pair of pliers on the "crimp caps" you turn a screw on the pole connector, that should be able to get the wires as tight as the caps.

Since I have installed mine, I have not had any issues with it. If I ever change my deck, I also don't have to remove a ton of crimp caps for the new deck harness.
                          i get what you are saying but.....

1) crimp caps dont come uncrimped....screws can back out
                          2) crimp caps are one connection....the pole has two. double the chance of disconnection.
                          3) 13 to 15 (depending on deck) caps take up a 1/3 of space as that pole does. for people with amps and rcas that pole takes up prime real estate.
                          4) i work for a car stereo shop whose connections on harnesses for decks are made solely with caps....have never had a failure in more than 10 years.

not knocking your ability or know-how....just think it is a terrible idea!
                          Last edited by BIGRICH; 01-12-2012, 06:59 PM.
                          SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....

Comment

You could use a crimp cap, I just found an alternative that I liked much better then crimp caps / butt connectors. I use crimp caps for home electrical 110v+, not for 12v wiring. Just thought I would share an alternative route that might interest people.
                            just curious why you edited....plus, you are thinking of wire nuts....crimps arent big enough to accomodate 2 110v home wires.
                            SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....

Comment

I edited because I was thinking butt plugs when you were saying crimp caps (and now I realize their simliar in function), then I googled crimp caps, and they reminded me of what are called wire nuts. Sorry for my terms being off, and my confusion.

I have been using the pole connector for over 4 years now, and over 50k miles of driving on some of the worst roads I have ever seen, I have not had any screws back out, I have also not had any wires come loose, or pull out unless I specifically pulled it out (during wiring). Your asking about real-estate behind the deck and rca's? You should see mine (theres 8 rca plugs), as I have a graphic equalizer along with my deck, and I don't have any space issues in my cb7. Oh about the two screws part per connection part, the wire on each side was stripped and long enough to be tightened down by both screws/plates (like a vice).

I'm not saying either is better then the other, they all do the same function, but in a different way, some people like vanilla, some people like chocolate, some people like sherbert.

EDIT: I also frequently edit my post afterwards because I am fixing typo's, and or adding more information / expanding my posts to be more specific, that doesn't always get said at first... like this.
                              Last edited by cloudasc; 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X