Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

sub stops working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub stops working

is it normal for subs to not hit when it is extreamly fucking cold outside and my car has been sitting all night in the crazy cold

Have you checked your connections? What gauge wire did you use?

Comment

i did a quick look over the first time it happened but all i really noticed was that nothing had come apart and the amp had power but other then that i dont even no what gauge wire that was used cause i bought it from a friends brother and my friend installed it and i just used what he gave me with the sub and amp so it was most likely whatever is standard at wal-mart

Comment

On top of checking your wire connections, Make sure you have a good ground. Best to have your ground wire a larger guage than your power, and to have it as short as possible. I ran 2ft of 4g for the ground.

1. Check your connections: (@Amp, Battery, Ground, Capacitor, and Reciever)
        2. Check your wires: (Look for cuts, burns, touching wires, etc.)
        3. Check your amp: (settings, do you have an in-line volume control?)
        4. Check your Subs: (connections inside box)
        5. I Dunno....
        Last edited by sick6sect; 11-30-2010, 11:08 PM. Reason: edit for content
        Click on the Death's Head Moth for MRT

PSN: Sick6sect
        CB7Tuner Map

Comment

Is your amp going into protect? Does it start working when it heats back up?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It actually can stop hitting right when it's cold out.
            What happens is basically the springs get stiff from the cold, making them really difficult to move, resulting in weak output. My dad's nissan does the same thing with the factory speakers.
            What you do is find a way to warm up the sub and for the love of God don't crank the sub until it's warm.

Comment

Another possible reason for your subs not working may be due to the amp underpowering the sub. If you ask the amp to put out more power than it's capeable of, then you are causing it to clip. Therefore, your sub will burn out. Your subs may be toast, What brand do you have?
              Click on the Death's Head Moth for MRT

PSN: Sick6sect
              CB7Tuner Map

Comment

It'd be nice to know what exact problem the OP is having...

I would assume the problem is the subs used to hit decently. Now that it's cold out they're really weak, even though the amp is turning on right.

And technically, any wattage you get out of a class D amp is heavily clipped to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                  And technically, any wattage you get out of a class D amp is heavily clipped to begin with...
                  OT:
                  How is that? Are you talking about the PWM signals?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

CHeck your ground, and also the turn on wire it might just have came undone.

Comment

i will check all that but it starts working fine once the inside of the car is warmed up or the outside temp isn't below 10 degrees and its just a Sony explode most likely from wall-mart

Comment

So does it work at all when it's cold or is it just when it's warm?

How is that? Are you talking about the PWM signals?
                        Not sure what it's called exactly, we just covered class D amplifiers briefly in electrical engineering. But basically it's because class D circuits only put out square waves at the same voltage, and the signal starts looking like a sine wave after going through a low pass filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                          So does it work at all when it's cold or is it just when it's warm?

Not sure what it's called exactly, we just covered class D amplifiers briefly in electrical engineering. But basically it's because class D circuits only put out square waves at the same voltage, and the signal starts looking like a sine wave after going through a low pass filter.
                          Yep the PWM signals. The thing alot of people don't know is that PWM is used in most class AB amps too, but only in the power supply. If you look at a typical amp it has MOSFETS in the power supply side and BJT's in the output stage.

The class D amp uses PWM in the output stage (audio portion) of the amp as well as the power supply. It can be ran with all MOSFETS which offer a bump in efficiency.

As far as the distortion...Do you remember when class D amps used to be just for subs? The reason for that was that there were too many artifacts in the upper audio region to be used as a "highs" amp. Technology has gotten better and faster switching is possible so now we have "full range" class D amps. Well that's how I perceive it. I need to read up on that some more

EDIT:
                          Found it.

Now you can imagine the more pulses the smoother the output. This is AC voltage but the concept is the same.
                          Last edited by sonikaccord; 12-02-2010, 02:41 AM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I know there are full range class D amps. I have one for my front stage. 150x2, no noticeable distortion difference between it and any class AB amp I've used, and it's insanely tiny.

Comment

it starts working again when the temp is above around 10 degrees but if its below that nothing happens

Comment

Working...
                              X