Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

speaker upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker upgrade

I really like the 4 channel JBL CS Series amp I have. It puts out 81 watts RMS per channel when powering 4 speakers and only 60 watts RMS when powering two speakers. I don't know why this is. If anyone does, I would like to know. I am thinking about purchasing some Infinity Reference Series 10" subs, they have good reviews. My sub amp is a JBL GTO 3501. It has two outputs (not channels) that are 160 watts RMS per outlet. My JBL GT4 subs are in a vented box that must weigh 80 lbs. I know that you get more bass with a vented box if you don't have a huge sub amp, but I would like to use a sealed box because it would weigh about half as much. I am also looking into a set of MG Quartz 6.5 component speakers for the doors. I found a set for $135 and the MSRP is about $500 for them and they have great reviews. I broke the left side tweeter on my Infinities, and I would be spending about the same amount of money on a new set. I really don't want to buy a new sub amp because even though it doesn't put out a lot of watts, it was not cheap. Thanks, Fly.
    Last edited by fly68; 09-27-2010, 03:55 AM.

I think you're reading that wrong. Amps are dumb. They don't care how many speakers are hooked up as long as they like the resistance that they see.

A sealed box isn't exactly half the weight. I would stay ported if I were you unless you really just want to shave the weight. The subs you have are fine.

The MB Quarts are a nice upgrade. I see nothing wrong with them.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

MB Quarts kick ass, that's what I'm running for fronts. Which series are they? New or used?

A sealed box isn't gonna shave half the weight, unless you're running a really weird ported box. I'm not sure I've seen a box that weighs 80 lbs. Sealed box or ported though, your choice. Sealed plays super low notes better and tends to have some more clarity. Ported has more power. I personally like sealed better for that reason, and because I can always deafen myself even with sealed subs.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        I think you're reading that wrong. Amps are dumb. They don't care how many speakers are hooked up as long as they like the resistance that they see.

A sealed box isn't exactly half the weight. I would stay ported if I were you unless you really just want to shave the weight. The subs you have are fine.

The MB Quarts are a nice upgrade. I see nothing wrong with them.
        X2

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
        MB Quarts kick ass, that's what I'm running for fronts. Which series are they? New or used?

A sealed box isn't gonna shave half the weight, unless you're running a really weird ported box. I'm not sure I've seen a box that weighs 80 lbs. Sealed box or ported though, your choice. Sealed plays super low notes better and tends to have some more clarity. Ported has more power. I personally like sealed better for that reason, and because I can always deafen myself even with sealed subs.
        Between the seal and ported first see on the subs specs if they go better on ported or sealed. I prefer ported.

Comment

It really depends on what type of sound your looking for...If you want major bass then go ported...Lik my dad has two 12's ported...N dey push out major bass...Its just about what your looking for a lot of bass n alil vocal or vice-versa...
          My signature was removed because it was too big.

Comment

I personally prefer sealed, it sounds tighter.
            But its all up to you really

Comment

Working...
            X