Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

RMS to a subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMS to a subwoofer

It's a kicker CVR 12" i got off craigslist for 40$, and i see that the RMS recommended is 400. But will the system still bump if i got only 250 RMS instead?

edit: is this sub truely bad for SQ?
    Last edited by nostringz; 12-01-2009, 11:13 PM.

Be Clean

I wouldn't consider many kicker subs to be SQ quality. But only if you're thinking about actually competing. If not, then Kicker subs are fine. The CVR, if I remember correctly is the entry level sub, below the Comp and Solo Baric. These subs can bump in a properly built sealed or ported box. 250W RMS should push it ok, but it also depends on the amp you're using. A 250W Jensen amp is a world of difference from a 250W JL amp for example.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

as a connection with wherms post amps vary from generic brands to name brands just slightly off topic here but Audio Vision got 2 12" rockfords to bump loud enough to shake windows in our suv, and they were powered by a 220 amp, but was a rockford amp. some amps are good for that sub not the greatest for others just depends on the amp as wherm said.

Turbo Setup: 100%

Comment

i was going with an autotek amp, or a hifonics. if i went with the hifonics i could do 400 rms.

edit: ported box also

Be Clean

Comment

If by sq you mean "sounds good" then yes. A nice ported box at 28-30hz.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            If by sq you mean "sounds good" then yes. A nice ported box at 28-30hz.
            kicker can play that low ???

yes 250 rms will be fine just dont crank the gain up. and it will be fine.hifonics is alright there quality has gone down since the buy out by maxxsonics but they still have decent product that still does its power.
            Members Ride sold...
            I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

250 is a good rms to run on.
              but 400 is always better.imo

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
              Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
              Originally posted by bmxicansd
              so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

the subwoofer is alright SQ for the untrained ear. Also the rms your putting out (if it's a decent amp) should be plenty to bump that sub.

Comment

Oh forgot to mention, the box that the subwoofer is mounted on will probably play a very big roll in how good it sounds to. When you get to the point where you have a powerful sub, it needs a really good thick enclosure, I would personally work around 1 inch braced, or 1.5" non braced. Port generally is better then sealed, but sealed enclosures require only half the internalf cu.in's good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
                    I wouldn't consider many kicker subs to be SQ quality. But only if you're thinking about actually competing. If not, then Kicker subs are fine. The CVR, if I remember correctly is the entry level sub, below the Comp and Solo Baric. These subs can bump in a properly built sealed or ported box. 250W RMS should push it ok, but it also depends on the amp you're using. A 250W Jensen amp is a world of difference from a 250W JL amp for example.
                    Wherm hits it on the head. The quality of a JL and jensen varies vastly.

Originally posted by nostringz View Post
                    i was going with an autotek amp, or a hifonics. if i went with the hifonics i could do 400 rms.

edit: ported box also
                    Go with a hifonics, the quality has diminished a bit, but they are a good bang for the buck. I own the Brutus 1000d and I am very happy with it.
                    Bisimoto Engineering
                    1) Call 1-888-9BC-MOTO(888-922-6686 ext. 1) Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST
                    2) Email me, robert@bisimoto.com
                    3) Contact me on AIM, robert@bisimoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
                      Kicker subs are more for a drag or something than a SQ competition. The comp is the entry level sub, followed by the compVR(CVR), and then the solobaric L5, L7 and soloX....until recently they added the CVX which is basically a L5 in CVR clothing.

In my experience I have found that the CVRs are minorly overrated as far as RMS power handling is concerned. I've been able to push them to the max easily with about 75%-80% of their rating on many different occasions.

Originally posted by Adriansbimmer View Post
                      When you get to the point where you have a powerful sub, it needs a really good thick enclosure, I would personally work around 1 inch braced, or 1.5" non braced. Port generally is better then sealed, but sealed enclosures require only half the internalf cu.in's good luck !
                      Sealed enclosures may require roughly half the cubic inches but they also require nearly twice the power to hit the same DBs as a ported enclosure. I currently have a 2000 model Kicker CVR 15" in a off-the-shelf sealed 1" MDF box. When I first hooked the system up in my wagon I blew apart 2 of the seams because of no bracing. I removed the sub, added a couple braces and re-sealed the seams with urethane and 1over screws. Now the sub bottoms out with ease and sounds decent doing it.

The sub is dual 4ohm, 500w rms.(...and this goes along with what I said up there /\) I have it mated to a MTX 421D which is 300wx1 at 12.5volts and 420wx1 at 14.4volts and since the car hits like 13.6-13.8volts at any given time(if the charging system is good) I would estimate that my 500w rms sub is getting 340-370w rms and it's x-maxed out. X-max is the maximum excursion that the sub is capable of. If you keep turning the gain up after it's reached x-max, all that extra power is just turning into heat. Heat=bad.

Comment

alot of questions here can be answered in the kicker technical manual avaible at there site.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradien View Post
                          alot of questions here can be answered in the kicker technical manual avaible at there site.
                          True...but I prefer real world experience rather than what it says in some manual. Kicker was a reputable brand back in the day but more recently(last 5-6years) it seems like they are turning into all the rest of them.

Comment

ya they have 400 rms rated at 2ohm they also have 150 and 300 RMS comp vr's
                            and wherm the comp vr is the best round sub kicker makes. the comp is the lowest.
                            and no i have these exact subs if they are 400 rms then even 25 watts below that will dramatically !!!!!!!! effect the performance of the sub. my personal preference on subs is to run 25-100 more watts RMS to them than they are rated. its better to stain the speaker than the amp. plus i never blast my system on max so that extra rms is helping me greatly from audio distortion and makes a very classy sound for your system.
                            Last edited by xkjnboix; 12-20-2009, 01:28 AM.
                            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Working...
                            X